Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #16636
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico
Are you running a 130 or a 120 rear?? Anyone running a 130 or 140 606 or TKC?

It's a 120 rear - perfect fit - a 130 might work, but it would be overkill IMO.

A 140 would be way too wide for the rim and there is not enough clearance at the swingarm. A 140-60-17 street tire barely clears the inside of the swingarm on a WRX.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #16637
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails
ducnek - I'm running TKC-80s on my WRR.....

Thanks! I'm sold.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #16638
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
kill switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjharn
Update:

Figured out what the problem is. It is the red on/off switch cable. If I put my fingers around the cable where it runs by the steering head along the frame and pull towards the back of the bike, it starts effortlessly. While its running, if I pull towards the FRONT of the bike, it dies immediately. I tried relocating my handguard, tried zip tieing the cable to keep it slack, but it still dies if I turn the handlebars to the left.

I'm thinking that wherever this cable plugs into is probably loose, so when it tightens up it pulls out of the socket, then connects again when I have the bars centered. Anyone know where this cable runs? I can follow it to a housing by the fuel tank, then I lose it.

Thanks!
For what it is worth, I had a 82 Yamaha XT125 I bought used about 5 years ago, for my family to use as a trainer. It worked well for an old guy, but did develop a stage where it would die. It would start up again, but after a long time it developed to where the bike would not start for my son. After a long trouble shoo, rebuild of the carb etc. It was traced to a kill switch that would short out when turning in one direction. Easy soln to test was to disconnect the kill switch. It solved the problem and no intermittent kill or dying of the bike. I left it that way -- sold it due to lack of room in garage and shed for the bike. The new owner was happy to buy the bike............
Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #16639
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnek
Thanks! I'm sold.

I've been using Michelin T-63s which are very similar to the TKC80. For $130 I get 3500 miles of street, dirt, and trail. I've run both the 120 and 130 rear with no fitment issues. I think I like the 130 better, but it put my stock gearing on the moon. That was fun when heading up a few of the big passes near Silverton.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #16640
hilligan
It'll grow back.

Oddometer: 366
Yall about got me talked in to it

Got a buddy building up one of these little fellers. Watching him and reading around this thread has gotten me interested. But alas and alack, I think I'm too old and too fat to do one justice.

But I'm having a good time watchin' yall have fun.

Keep up the good work.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #16641
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I'm sold!!

As a dirt noob (3 years ago), I bought a KLR 250 to learn on. But now the ol' KLR "quarter pounder" has done it's service and is destined to be sold or become my loaner bike. Because, this Friday I go look at a 2008 Yamaha WR250R. It only has 800 miles and has not seen the dirt yet. After cruzing thru this whole thread I've decided even though all my friends ride 400+ bikes....(sounds like a Janis Joplin song) the WRR is for me. Can't wait 'till it's mine. I'm excited and anxious to start the farkeling.

Initially, I'm planning on two changes right off the start: skidplate and HDB handguards. I am a little concerned about the fuel pump issue and not looking forward to possibly replacing it but, at least thanks to this awesome thread, I know about the potential for pump failure.

I plan on taking it to the desert next month and hope to have it set up by then, so a little add'l info: 5'8", 160 lbs., about 31 inseam, c+ rider. So do you think I can get the bike setup low enough without a yamalink? Do I need to do the header and exhaust or should I wait?

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions so bare with me if I ask a stupid question or two. Any advice or insight you want to provide will be greatly accepted.

I look forward to joining the club.
Mike
Old 08-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #16642
ArmyStrongMD
2010 WR250R

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykMyk
Initially, I'm planning on two changes right off the start: skidplate and HDB handguards. I am a little concerned about the fuel pump issue and not looking forward to possibly replacing it but, at least thanks to this awesome thread, I know about the potential for pump failure.

I plan on taking it to the desert next month and hope to have it set up by then, so a little add'l info: 5'8", 160 lbs., about 31 inseam, c+ rider. So do you think I can get the bike setup low enough without a yamalink? Do I need to do the header and exhaust or should I wait?

I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions so bare with me if I ask a stupid question or two. Any advice or insight you want to provide will be greatly accepted.

Mike

I just bought mine this morning

I was going to trade the CBR in on it, then I decided against it at the last minute. Base was $5,290, $5,780 or something out the door. Oh did I mention it's a 2010?

I was planning some upgrades, but now I think I'll hold off. The exhaust is nice and quiet...and for offroading near houses and stuff on trails back in the woods it'll be great having a stealthy bike. The handguards would definitely be nice, I've got my eyes on the ones with integrated signals With this much clearance, a skid plate isn't necessary unless you're doing really serious offroading.

First impression: Wow, this thing gets up and goes. It feels so much like a KLR 650 (acceleration wise)...it's sad. It also doesn't feel like a thumper at all. This engine is super smooth. All the rumors about speed and power are true. This little 250 has both. I was nervous about low end, but now I'm not. I think most guys who say there's no low end aren't used to 250s. Having owned a Rebel 250 and two Ninja 250s, I am impressed with the bike's low end. It keeps up in traffic short-shifting the heck out of it. It'll pull ahead of most cars if you open it up (0-60 is like 7.5 I read).

It cruises comfortably in 6th gear at 40mph all the way up to 80. I took my girlfriend to lunch today, so riding two-up (me 185lbs her 115lbs). It hit 85 in 5th gear! We cruised at 80 in 6th with a slight head wind. I rolled the throttle and it crept to 85, slowly. This is so much more than I was expecting, and I was expecting a lot! Been riding around all day, something over 100 miles, and no fuel light yet. I'm probably getting 70mpg or so.

I have complete confidence this bike won't disappoint you! I think I'm keeping this stock exhaust though, unless I find/fabricate a really quiet system for it. The only upgrade I want for the immediate future is a switch with the black plastics from the WR250X. I don't like blue...and it doesn't match my helmet from my CBR at all.

Good luck with your purchase!

PS: You'll probably need the link to lower this thing. I'm 6' with a 34 inseam and can't flat foot this beast. With my girl on the back I can, and I almost can (one heel down, the other hovering 1/2" or so off the pavement)
ArmyStrongMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #16643
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
[quote=hilligan]Got a buddy building up one of these little fellers. Watching him and reading around this thread has gotten me interested. But alas and alack, I think I'm too old and too fat to do one justice.

Too old at 62? Get real
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #16644
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
As a dirt noob (3 years ago), I bought a KLR 250 to learn on. But now the ol' KLR "quarter pounder" has done it's service and is destined to be sold or become my loaner bike. Because, this Friday I go look at a 2008 Yamaha WR250R. It only has 800 miles and has not seen the dirt yet. After cruzing thru this whole thread I've decided even though all my friends ride 400+ bikes....(sounds like a Janis Joplin song) the WRR is for me. Can't wait 'till it's mine. I'm excited and anxious to start the farkeling.

Mike
Having ridden mine some in the CA desert I would say, skid plate, handgards, lower shock with fac. adjustment, set sag about 4 inches, turn off shock compression dampning, turn rebound all the way up. Higher bars a real + also. Forks I would say at your weight, compression off & rebound maybe a couple clicks on. It will take a while to break in. I have the header & FMF muffler but quieter is better! Have fun.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #16645
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,693
Quote:
Do I need to do the header and exhaust or should I wait?
Mike
Header & exhaust ??

I say get some protection(skidplate, hdb setup) on it, new tires if you plan to do some rough stuff & gear it 13/47 and call it good, then see if you "want" the header/exhaust stuff.. save the money now and make sure you got all the gear and ride!!

Here's my WR.. in the middle of Idaho, don't have anything engine/exhaust done to it.. and love the heck out of it.. great bike!

For this trip I did use my Powerlet on my HDB top clamp a lot and was soooo glad I had it wired up, recharged phone, camera, Sena headset while riding.. really was handy.

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #16646
ArmyStrongMD
2010 WR250R

Oddometer: 63
Who's got a comfy seat? that's my only beef with the bike so far. I like the stock gearing since it works well on the highway for me, but this seat is narrow and hard!
ArmyStrongMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #16647
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
You think I can get the bike setup low enough without a yamalink? Do I need to do the header and exhaust or should I wait?
Mike-install some basic guards and ride it for awhile and you'll know what you'll need after a few weeks. Runs real sweet stock.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #16648
derangedhermit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilligan
Got a buddy building up one of these little fellers. Watching him and reading around this thread has gotten me interested. But alas and alack, I think I'm too old and too fat to do one justice.

But I'm having a good time watchin' yall have fun.

Keep up the good work.
I'm about the same height and weight (6'2", 225 lb) as you. The WR250R fits me as well as the KLR 650. And it hauls my big load around fine.

And since we ain't getting any younger, the 130 lbs less weight to muscle around is greatly appreciated.

Trade that sucker in. Ride it just like the KLR, just enjoy it more.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #16649
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
then see if you "want" the header/exhaust stuff.. save the money now and make sure you got all the gear and ride!!
imho opening up the intake and a programmer REALLY helped the bike be more manageable at freeway (75+ actual mph) speeds.

i too wanted it quiet, so i gutted the stock exhaust.

riding the bike stock at elevated speeds would've taken all the fun out of it!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #16650
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit
Trade that sucker in. Ride it just like the KLR, just enjoy it more.
This is great advice, but I'd recommend not worrying as much about your line on the trail.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote