Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 PM   #1666
gordo5
Roadkill

Oddometer: 538
Wow! I would have been impressed by smaller numbers. I'm a little sorry to hear opening the airbox helped so much but that's just because I'm a little paranoid since I got a bunch of dirt in an airbox (on a different bike) a couple of years ago. But I am glad to see that an aftermarket pipe does offer some real performance benefits. I don't think I could justify replacing it just because I find the stocker to be real, real ugly.

I'm not into stupid loud either, so I'm glad your using a quieter pipe, but it does make you wonder what diffence those loud things would make....

The one thing I found kinda interesting looking at the charts was the torque curve seemed almost flat. I'm definately not an expert on dyno charts but most of the ones I've looked at are a little more progressive. But I don't mean that negatively, I'm just not sure what that suggests.

Thanks a lot HF. I really can't think of another thread I've read anywhere where a single poster has contributed as much as you have to this one. If this were TT, I'd give you gas!
gordo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #1667
Iceveign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
HF, Yamaha should pay you or at least give you free farkles for your bike for all the time and effort you are putting into showing owners/future owners how great this bike can actually become. I'm wanting one pretty bad right now.THX for your work!
Iceveign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #1668
Jaynen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
If you look at what MPfab did on his turbo WRX he modified the side panel on the right hand side. Then modified the door. One of the dudes over on TT posted about these

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=676304

Essentially its a waterproof but air passable membrane designed for modding snowmobile airbox's I have one but have yet to install even tho I have the K&N filter. I do have the Pc3 but still need a pipe.

The safari tank will take priority over the pipe. now if an airhawk pad solves my comfort issues, and the tank solves my range issues so I stop even thinking about needing a second bike I just might go ahead and finish the farkling.

You could use two of these or something similar on the side of the door to make a pretty sweet setup
Jaynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:28 AM   #1669
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
HF - Thanks for your thoughtful & detailed dyno reports. I really appreciate all of the time, effort & $ you put in to it. Personally, your report will be the primary reference for my performance mods & settings. You rock!
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:14 AM   #1670
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,683
Couple more things...because someone has asked me via PM. Maybe others want to know too.

1) Does the FMF Spark Arrestor make a difference?
The spark arrestor on the Q4 made no performance change whether in or out. So, its good to know you can leave it in. Your not giving up any power. Just remember to remove it and clean the screen once in a while.

2) Where did I purchase my FMF pipe? What did I pay?
I found a guy on ebay who saved me $100 on the combo. Didn't know him, never bought from him before. He was very responsive to my inquiries and questions. Gave me outstanding service! Did exactly what he said he could & when he would. I give him 6 stars (service & price) - 1 star (for no website yet) = 5 stars.

His name is "Devon". Contact: sales@pistonmotosports.com
Phone: 805-426-5700

I paid $164.95 for the Powerbomb Header (FMF#044269) and $294.95 for the Q4 muffler (FMF#044271) and he offered free shipping via ground. That was $459.90 for the combo.

Don't know how much of the difference is affected by the Powerbomb header. Maybe not much accept helps lower sound output (if advertisement is accurate). It does have a larger pipe ID than the stock header, so it may be important component. I donno....for certain. But it does look "mean & cool". They are real nice mated parts. Doesn't even require a compression clamp at the mid-section where they mate. Just goop the joint real good with Hi-temp copper gasket manifold sealer (like Permatex). I have ZERO exhaust leakage in the joint. We checked it thoroughly with a sensitive "sniffer" during the Dyno Test 2. Nada...nothing. Hope it stays that way. There are no slits in the muffler opening. Its a solid pipe. Compressing it (if you can) would only cause deformation in the pipe which could lead to an exhaust leak at the mid section joint (IMO). But, what do I know....

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 06:24 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 AM   #1671
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,798
Finishing Up

Well my mods are pretty much finishing up--until I get the bigger gas tank.

But I did get the front turn signals finished up--and yes my turn signals flash faster now---but I like it as the LED's come on so much faster than an ordinary light----it's actually more attention getting.

Out with the old--thumbs down.

In with the new.
I fabricated the aluminum mounting brackets from some aluminum I had laying around.

I really like this rack---it's the OEM one from Yamaha--about $140.
Not to big and has really nice and handy tie down points and I was
able to keep the OEM helmet lock.

Thanks again all of you for helping me get my bike to this point.

I have traveled all of Baja, lots of Mainland Mexico and the Western trams am trail with a Wolfman enduro tankbag, small dirtbagz and a small dry bag on my tailrack on my 610 Husky----I see no reason why I can't do the same with this bike---when I get the bigger tank !!!!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 06:28 AM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #1672
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Highfive's Airbox Mod

So....following results of my Dyno Test 2, here is how I decided to modify my airbox.

Before & After photos:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I decided to take the "highest ground"....so to speak. This spot is directly above the air filter and well protected by the seat. I just put a white rag in there to help illuminate the hole for the photo.

I used my drill bit attachment for drilling a doorknob hole. Now, I've got to go field test and see how R² runs. Not sure yet if this is enough additional "space" or not. Limited riding today as the Temp is falling from 55 to 20 real fast. Here we go again.....

HF
Old 12-20-2008, 11:25 AM   #1673
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Great work HF. This forum has better information than any magazine out there. I spend way to much time on here though.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #1674
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Highfive - Ride Report

It was brief but effective. Starting to freeze fast down here. And the wind is howling something fierce again.

I think the big round hole did the job. R² feels FANTASTIC! She pulls like crazy. Front end will go straight up in 1st with just a crank of throttle & no preload or pull. She was never like this before. I hit some slab and my track. Runs up to speed much faster. I easily hit 85 mph indicated in 5th gear BEFORE shifting to 6th. Never did that before. Couldn't test the top end today. But, I'm going to bust my previous record for sure. I'm thinking 100mph indicated might be possible now.

I'm very satisfied with this performance level finally. Its going to be a blast to ride both on & offroad.....NO LIMITS in any condition. Can't wait to take her back to 500 in Stillwater for another single track run (to compare).

The sound is definitely louder. But its a cool sound. The extra air has given the exhaust a deeper tone. I like it. I'll pull another sound test whenever the wind dies down again. Could be a few days.

HF
Old 12-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #1675
Mexicola Moto
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Black plastics with custom graphics.....how do they look?

Sorry for the blurry pic, my camera sucks!
Mexicola Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #1676
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
???

Dude! Your Awsome!

OK, Please tell me what you have done exactly to the airbox. I would like to do the same. Is it just the door screwed down and the drilled hole, or is there more that you have done???

Thanks again HF! You rule this thread dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
It was brief but effective. Starting to freeze fast down here. And the wind is howling something fierce again.

I think the big round hole did the job. R² feels FANTASTIC! She pulls like crazy. Front end will go straight up in 1st with just a crank of throttle & no preload or pull. She was never like this before. I hit some slab and my track. Runs up to speed much faster. I easily hit 85 mph indicated in 5th gear BEFORE shifting to 6th. Never did that before. Couldn't test the top end today. But, I'm going to bust my previous record for sure. I'm thinking 100mph indicated might be possible now.

I'm very satisfied with this performance level finally. Its going to be a blast to ride both on & offroad.....NO LIMITS in any condition. Can't wait to take her back to 500 in Stillwater for another single track run (to compare).

The sound is definitely louder. But its a cool sound. The extra air has given the exhaust a deeper tone. I like it. I'll pull another sound test whenever the wind dies down again. Could be a few days.

HF
Old 12-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #1677
trashed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Omg!

Holy crap dude I have to have those!!!!!!! Where do I get them??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicola Moto
Black plastics with custom graphics.....how do they look?

Sorry for the blurry pic, my camera sucks!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #1678
Mexicola Moto
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Unfortunately, I have to sell my 08 WRR I had the plastics and custom graphics done right before I decided to sell the bike.
Mexicola Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #1679
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
[IMG][/IMG]
HF, I know you are concerned about deep water crossings. And that is the reason I haven't mod'ed my airbox yet. I am wondering if there isn't a fine, strong mesh that could cover that hole and still let the extra air flow ... but at least repell water splash.

I could just be too paranoid on this. You comfortable that you won't drown her out on one of your rides? Thanks, GarG
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #1680
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
HF, I know you are concerned about deep water crossings. And that is the reason I haven't mod'ed my airbox yet. I am wondering if there isn't a fine, strong mesh that could cover that hole and still let the extra air flow ... but at least repell water splash.

I could just be too paranoid on this. You comfortable that you won't drown her out on one of your rides? Thanks, GarG
Yes...I'm very comfortable with this mod as is. I don't see any reason to cover the hole with mesh or snowmobile membrane, etc. Its highest point and very well protected by the seat. I also still have the original air scoops at the flapper. That entry point is lower than this new hole, by far. And I don't think rain water coming down the tank is going to get under the seat and into this hole. I've put some thought into it. Best spot I could find anywhere after rooting around in there.

Back "In the day", they used to make bikes with completely open airbox tops under the seat. You popped off the seat and had direct access to your filter.

Keep in mind we also have a drain tube at bottom of airbox. I've punched some pin holes in the bottom of mine to help let any moisture or fluid drain out. My Trials bike is built that way...but with a deflector plate above the filter to keep water from dropping right onto the filter element. I've ridden entire trials events in real toad-stranglers (Rain² for you Yankees) with water basically running thru my airbox all day....with no problems.

So, the only thing I might do is try to fabricate a similar deflector plate underneath the hole (inside the airbox). But that's a rainy day project!

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 02:56 PM