User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #16831
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Artoo,

FWIW, when I ordered mine, Able told me natural and black were the first off the line.

I'll let everyone know how the install goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo
Jim,

It looks really good! Thanks to Wuffie (SheWolf), I've got a black one on order for the discounted price.

They said that natural and white would go into production first, so I'll probably be waiting awhile on the black. 'Salright. I can wait I guess.

Say, would you let us know if anything needs shimmed or needs a "Brogan Adjustment" to get it installed?

Thanks!

Artoo
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #16832
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Artoo,

FWIW, when I ordered mine, Able told me natural and black were the first off the line.

I'll let everyone know how the install goes.
I wonder if maybe they changed their mind based on the final pre-order numbers? Well if so, HURRAY! Natural is shipping, so maybe black is soon!

I'd just put a brand new fuel pump in my 2008 (piece of cake, but be very careful with that fuel outlet on the bottom of the pump when handling the tank; it's almost made to be broken off if the tank is even set down hard) and that part is an easy swap.

I really dug the connectors after I figured them out.

When there is fuel in the tank, the pump outlet will keep oozing gas a few dribbles for ever. So I'm keeping the blue/clear rubber cap from the new pump and hoping slipping that on will reduce this whenever the tank is (frequently) off.

Well, thanks for the info! Hopin' yer right!

aaaarrr2
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:48 PM   #16833
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcel
Hi Bonnie:

Glad to hear you are alright. I hope the good soak in the Hot Springs will have you 100% in no time!

Wayne

Thanks Wayne! I hope you are healing up well! I'm feeling pretty lucky to just have a few bruises!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #16834
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Hhhmmm....what's this waiting at the Rancho Highfive doorstep?

I'm getting an HF feeling that there might be a "Dyno Run 3" in my future!

HF

Let us know how it goes ol buddy.

Curious as you went Athena. Brian (Machtig) went with the Thumper
Racing Big Bore kit.

http://www.thumperracing.net/mybikep...&model=WR250RX

I'm gonna be keeping my eye on both of you here to see which one
goes the distance maintenance-wise.

scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #16835
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Say, a question:

Have you seen tires 63 grams out of balance or is that as insane as I'm thinking it is??

Adios,

Artoo
I have put over 2 oz on a rear Distanzia one time on a buddy's WR250X. I was a little outdone about how out of balance it was.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:40 PM   #16836
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
I have put over 2 oz on a rear Distanzia one time on a buddy's WR250X. I was a little outdone about how out of balance it was.
duanew1,

Thank you for the info. Makes me begin to wonder if the fat X wheels might be part of the culprit... but too soon to make that leap.

So then maybe it's not as crazy as I was first thinking - all that weight it took. They are big knobbies front and rear due to the fat X wheels. I'm guessing the manufacturers aren't as precise with big fat knobbies figuring they are USUALLY going on the back of the bike. Though the Shinko 244s are rated for "front or rear"...

Anyway, good to know. I have the bike scattered as usual, so I'll report back about how it shakes OOPS I mean how it rides after it's back together and I ride it.

Say, was your buddy's X fairly smooth at high speed (say 65+) after adding all that weight? Ya' wonder about out-of-round when they take a bunch of lead.

Ride safe,

Artoo
Old 09-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #16837
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Hhhmmm....what's this waiting at the Rancho Highfive doorstep?

Something Sweet...

...or maybe Sour!

I'm getting an HF feeling that there might be a "Dyno Run 3" in my future!

HF
HF, if you get the chance, please weigh the athena piston, with the ring(s) and then also please weigh the included (or so I'm told) athena wrist pin.

Thanks so much

Brian
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #16838
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
IMS 3.1 Gal rough install

Ok, got it roughed in. I won't complete the full install tonight, as I have to find a place to dump a full 1.9 gal (California) tank!

Please note these pics are taken with no screws/bolts/fasteners in place. Just a rough mockup. The install so far has been pretty seemless. Like Artoo said, the fuel line connectors work great once you figure them out.

A venting cap may pose a little problem with the Wolfman. Otherwise I think it will work fine.

I think the white is a little fugly, but like being able to see the level. With no filler neck like the stocker, and this having a huge filler cap, you can see right down into it. Actually, you can line up the filler hole and the pump hole and see right through the tank (when holding it up). Even with the black or blue, the filler hole is so big you will be able to see your fuel level. The natural just lets a little more light in. In fact, you can see the entire inside of the tank.

Left view:

Right view:

Top:

Tank bag for Crawdaddy:

I think the cap is going to get in the way a little:

jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #16839
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,769
That 3.1 tank looks really good. I think it is a winner. I already bought the safari, but otherwise i would get this for sure.

Attico screwed with this post 09-03-2010 at 08:07 PM
Attico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #16840
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,769
I've used 5 or 6 1/4 ouncevsquares before. Not ideal, but it can happen. This is why balancing the rim is a good step.

Quote:
Attico,

Hear, hear! And thanks again for the tip on the Parnes balancer! It's the best $105 I've spent!!

Say, a question:

Have you seen tires 63 grams out of balance or is that as insane as I'm thinking it is??

Adios,

Artoo
Old 09-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #16841
BigFeet
Banned

Nice fitting tank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Ok, got it roughed in. I won't complete the full install tonight, as I have to find a place to dump a full 1.9 gal (California) tank!

Please note these pics are taken with no screws/bolts/fasteners in place. Just a rough mockup. The install so far has been pretty seemless. Like Artoo said, the fuel line connectors work great once you figure them out.

A venting cap may pose a little problem with the Wolfman. Otherwise I think it will work fine.

I think the white is a little fugly, but like being able to see the level. With no filler neck like the stocker, and this having a huge filler cap, you can see right down into it. Actually, you can line up the filler hole and the pump hole and see right through the tank (when holding it up). Even with the black or blue, the filler hole is so big you will be able to see your fuel level. The natural just lets a little more light in. In fact, you can see the entire inside of the tank.
Jim,

Thanks for the excellent pics and info! Looks like a really nice fit with the shrouds and seat!

Artoo
Old 09-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #16842
BigFeet
Banned

Thumb Wheel weight info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico
I've used 5 or 6 1/4 ouncevsquares before. Not ideal, but it can happen. This is why balancing the rim is a good step.
Attico,

Thank you for the info! As you say, while not ideal, it's not totally out of the ballpark. Better than leaving it way in the bleep out of balance!

I will definitely balance the wheels the next time the tires are off! Very curious about that. Prob'ly have 'em trued first.

Artoo
Old 09-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #16843
BigFeet
Banned

3.1 gallons??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attico
That 3.1 tank looks really good. I think it is a winner. I already bought the safari, but otherwise i would get this for sure.
Attico,

Did they make it all the way to 3.1 gallons on that IMS tank? If so, KEWL!

I remember for awhile they were struggling at 2.75... then 2.83... When I paid for my black IMS tank, the sales guy said they had made it to 3 gallons but didn't mention exceeding it.

I guess .1 gallon isn't a big deal. Just wonderin'.

Maybe that's a question (soon) for Jim: What's the exact fill up number on yer new tank?? Well, that'll be tough to do since you probably don't have a gas station in your garage! Do ya' have a way to measure it? If not, I'll try to do that with my new IMS tank whenever it arrives.

Artoo
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #16844
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,722
Great pics of the rough install. Especially of the wolfman!
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #16845
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
Let us know how it goes ol buddy.

Curious as you went Athena. Brian (Machtig) went with the Thumper
Racing Big Bore kit.

I'm gonna be keeping my eye on both of you here to see which one
goes the distance maintenance-wise.

Remember when you told me, "its only the beginning, my friend" ?

Well....I guess I'm trying to find the end. But it seems to keep alluding me.

I've read up most the stuff posted on both. Each seems to be holding up well enough (for others) so far.

I chose Athena for two primary reasons: 1) Bigger Displacement....there's just no substitute for displacement, especially at higher altitudes. 2) Yamaha GYTR endorsed...even GYTR Part Numbered. That's significant to me.

Whether it makes a hill of beans, I donno. Not casting any shadows on the TR product. I have no experience with either (yet).

I'm not as concerned with longevity as most seem to be (paranoid about). If it blows, great....I'll buy that Husaberg 570! If it lasts, great....I'll get the most fun from it I can. This is my feeble attempt at calming my Husa-twitch. And satisfying that gnawing desire to "just know....how good can it be". Besides, I've got my KLR for bullet-proof, round-the-world trips. I still love my KLR!

And, I bet that possibly, maybe, it kind of, somehow, could potentially work out! At least long enough to make The Krabill cry.

He won't get to ride it....cause he's not coming to help me swap the cylinders tomorrow. Something about too much domestic duty.

I've already got her stripped down ready to drop the engine. Its amazing the things you learn about your bike when you tackle something like this. Lots of "ah-ha" moments.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote