User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #17071
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
rear axle nut comes loose?

Anyone have this happen? I am still learning this bike, and have not put too many miles on it yet. I felt some chain slap last ride so I decided to adjust the chain tension for the first time. The nut came undone with almost no torque, certainly much less than 91 ft-lbs. I adjusted the chain and it turned out to not need any adjustment. Then when I went to torque the axle nut back down it took many more turns than it took to undo, indicating it had been very loose. Yikes!

Not sure if the PO did not torque it down when he swapped tires (to huge desert maxxis) or it just came loose by itself...regardless I will be checking it often from here on out.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #17072
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo
I sometimes called this my "handicapped bike" while I was farkling it to accomodate my 'crippledness', but now I'm callin' it my "Can Do" bike!
handy capable

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #17073
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Never had the nut come loose on mine unless I forgot to torque it down and only had it hand tight. Even then, it was just loose and didn't try to come off the bike, but the axle sure did move around a bit.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #17074
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,526
Had a little bit of fun at PNWet Fest.
I was the only one who was crazy enough to follow my friend up a goat trail. Good times. I am loving this bike more and more.
More pics later, this one for now. I am in the back.

Mr. Fisherman screwed with this post 09-12-2010 at 06:43 PM
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #17075
hilligan
It'll grow back.

Oddometer: 366
Artoo and BigFeets!

FEAR US!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #17076
spacekadet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
so have made connections to the battery.. but i never look at it or give it much thought.. it will probably get lonesome someday & stop & sulk, leaving me to bump it.
- hey rydneseek, just thought of something that I wanted to note from your earlier post.

About the flat battery, as I understand it, you can't bump start an EFI engine that has a flat battery. If you can't find somebody to donate some electrons via jump cables, you either push or call for help.

cheers
spacekadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #17077
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Athena Big Bore Update

Its going...

Early impression: Oh my! Hope is Real. Its ALIVE.

My "break-in" was rather short. Now, I'm in the "tuning" stage. So, you'll have to wait for me to get her dialed in, before I render my detailed impressions. There's still work to be done here.

By the way, "Helicoil" is my new best friend.

Seriously, you wouldn't believe all the LOUSY aluminum thread taps in this bike (where you haven't looked yet). And, I'm on a new mission to methodically replace every single one (over time). Yeah...I've got good reason.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 12:34 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #17078
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekadet
- hey rydneseek, just thought of something that I wanted to note from your earlier post.

About the flat battery, as I understand it, you can't bump start an EFI engine that has a flat battery. If you can't find somebody to donate some electrons via jump cables, you either push or call for help.

cheers

Hmmm, I thought Dysco said he was able to bump start his after draining the battery while fishing.
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #17079
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
Hmmm, I thought Dysco said he was able to bump start his after draining the battery while fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco
In case anyone was wondering about bump-starting the fuel injected beastie...

I parked next to a particularly juicy section of river this weekend and so many fish were rising that I forgot to turn the key off. For 3 hours my headlight was on and the battery ran dry enough to reset my clock. I pushed it up a small bank and popped the clutch after 3 feet of elevation loss and it fired right up. It was charged enough for several restarts in town 15 minutes of riding later.

I'd been nervous about that, but apparently it was totally unfounded.
emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #17080
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,883
Folks who are used to using 2nd gear to bumpstart might want to use first on this bike. The compression only locks up the tire on the loosest surfaces, and you want those revs to start it. I used a small, steep bank for momentum, and could just as easily use a ditch to get that kind of momentum. Rolling the bike into a pitifully small depression in a field and attempting to bump it was enough to charge the dash lights.
Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #17081
Dysco
caddis muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo
I took my fresh farkled WRX (BigFeet) on it's first "real" ride in it's natural environment this weekend on a ride organized by Hilligan.

This ride looked pretty gnarly at times; no pics of the really rough stuff as there was no stoppin' in those areas so far as I could see.

The WRX took on the really nasty looking stuff like it was a walk in the park. The bike is totally confidence inspiring and had me doing things I'd have cringed at on my last bike.

Here's a link to the RR by Hilligan.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post13991177

That's strong praise from a KLR diehard! Thanks fer noticing that the WR's kick arse, Hilligan!

I totally enjoyed riding with Hilligan and Corporal Goose. Good guys fer sure!

The highway portion from my place in "Taxenburg" over to Alamosa and back was totally cool. The bike pulled 65 mph actual going up the westbound climb out (pretty steep) while running into a fairly strong headwind. Probably could have gone a little faster, but traffic was in the way.

On a long stretch, I passed a couple of huge motorhomes with cars in tow. It had enough huevos & beans for that, but plan ahead as they say.

Wind gusts were handled easier than I expected on a lightweight bike.

It appears to me that the little bike really will do a LOT of things well! IMHO, it's grand forte by far is the rough stuff! Well, and even with knobbies, the X really carves the twisty stuff. Beyond my ability to use it; much more to learn...

Before this bike, had someone told me I'd ride stuff this rough again (Blowout Pass) with ease AND be able to ride the bike 150 miles round trip on the highway to get there, I'd have told them they were on crack.

I sometimes called this my "handicapped bike" while I was farkling it to accomodate my 'crippledness', but now I'm callin' it my "Can Do" bike!

The thing acts like it could climb a frickin' wall!

Artoo
("Crippled")
I had a very similar experience when I got my WR. I had no idea I'd be able to do technical trails again, but this bike makes them seem pretty smooth.

Blowout was fun when I did it but I wish we would have ridden it when it was light out.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #17082
hilligan
It'll grow back.

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco
I had a very similar experience when I got my WR. I had no idea I'd be able to do technical trails again, but this bike makes them seem pretty smooth.

Blowout was fun when I did it but I wish we would have ridden it when it was light out.
I have a GWP ... er ... KLR. Wanna trade?

(((((GWP = Great Wallowing Pig ))))))
Old 09-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #17083
Dysco
caddis muncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilligan
I have a GWP ... er ... KLR. Wanna trade?

(((((GWP = Great Wallowing Pig ))))))
I've had 4. That was about 3 too many.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #17084
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-rider
I didn't really like any of the racks I saw for the WRR out there - not to mention I didn't like the prices, so I decided to build my own.
Great first post, and nice work on the rack.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #17085
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,526
The green curtain in the way to the goat trail...

No issue for the new Lynx fairing

I love this bike, way too fun
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote