Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #17161
deerHater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaozer
Hi,

Hope someone can help here. I use my bike primarily for commuting these days and I'm hoping to get tires with a longer tread life:

Will these Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 tires fit the bike well?

120/70H/17 in the front (they don't have the 110) and
140/70H/17 in the rear

Other suggestions for touring tires are welcome. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
I put a BT023 on the back, but the smallest size available is 150/70/17.
It's eating my chain!
I wish they made the BT023 in 140/70/17, it's a good tire.
deerHater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #17162
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t
Just back from completing the TAT from Green River Ut to Port Orford (1650 miles).

This little bike is quite impressive.Engine is stone stock but I have modded the suspension and controls.Made the whole trip with no problems.A couple of times I was wondering whether it would be capable of hauling my 240+ luggage up a couple of the steep technical climbs,but a quick downshift into 1st and went up with out any issues.

Great bike.I'm gonna keep her
BIG-T - ya done good
Which radiator guard do you have?
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #17163
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer: 87
Safari reduex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
That is what broke me down to get a used Safari was the daily commute. Filling up every other day was annoying. Now I fill up maybe once a week. Having the extended range for long rides was just a bonus. I had the 2 gallon rotopax siderack so was never worried on long trips, but that constant filling is what put me over the edge. I'm very happy having spent the money on the used Safari. Though expensive, I've had the pleasure of using it since the beginning of July (almost 3,000 miles so far this summer) and it sounds like it will be winter before the 4.5 gallon IMS is out, so for the extra money, I enjoyed an entire riding season and thousands of miles of use. I paid around $100 - $150 more than the going rate for the IMS 3 gallon, so assuming the 4.5 gallon will cost around the same, that extra riding season and probably 4,000 - 5,000 miles of use will have cost me only $100 - $150 more than waiting for the IMS 4.5. That seems like a good use of my money.

A quick rough estimate tells me I've filled the gas tank about 21 times (every 140 miles) instead of 37 times (every 80 miles) since I installed that tank. 16 extra stops doesn't sound like much, but that was only over a 2.5 months so is around 6 extra stops a month. Add in the radiator protection and I've easily gotten my money's worth in just one riding season. That may not be the case for somone putting on only 700 - 1,000 miles a year or someone that only trail rides the bike and does not commute on it. Securing a 1 or 2 gallon rotopax to the bike (and only on trips when needed) would likely be a better solution then.

I'll be interested in the IMS 4.5 gallon when it comes out and if it is well done, I'll buy and use one of those and then decide if I sell the Safari for whatever the depreciated going rate will be once the IMS 4.5 comes out or if I keep it and install it on my wife's WR.
Chadx - You pretty much nailed my entire rationale for getting a used Safari tank.

In all fairness, it was on my wishlist before I bought the bike, but I spent a whole lot of money on smaller ticket items before tiring of the frequent fill-ups. I'm spoiled by the stock 5.8-gallon tank on my V-Strom. Yeah, I could have gotten a spare can for cheap, but I don't like them hanging around and you still have to do the fill-up routine just as often. I can still add a can if I'm heading out on a 200-mile/no services ride, which is quite possible around here.

Given the subjectiveness of curb-appeal, the Safari looks utilitarian to my eye, which suits me fine. Maybe the 4.5-gallon IMS tank will materialize and somehow be better looking than the Safari. I'm not imaginative enough to picture how that's going to work, but If I decide that I must have a 4.5-gallon tank, then the looks will not be the deciding factor.
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #17164
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Big T,

Is that a Scotts stabilizer with HDB top clamp? Any interference issues? Any Powerlets installed in the HDB?

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t
Just back from completing the TAT from Green River Ut to Port Orford (1650 miles).

This little bike is quite impressive.Engine is stone stock but I have modded the suspension and controls.Made the whole trip with no problems.A couple of times I was wondering whether it would be capable of hauling my 240+ luggage up a couple of the steep technical climbs,but a quick downshift into 1st and went up with out any issues.

Great bike.I'm gonna keep her.

Here are a couple of pics

Near Eagle Canyon

jimrobinette screwed with this post 09-15-2010 at 01:55 PM
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #17165
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Which radiator guard do you have?
Flatland racing. Got dropped a couple times in the sand ruts on that side and tank and guard held up well.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #17166
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
No powerlets.I used a mount from HDB to mount the Scotts and ended up having to make up a couple of spacers so the top mount would would clear the stablizer.

I'll post a pic later on if I get the chance.

That Scotts saved my ass a couple of times on this trip..
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #17167
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 364
Not another Fuel Pump diversion!

Hey guys, for those of you who have experienced fuel pump issues, how did the problem start? My 2008 WR250R has started to develop a problem. When I get her good and warm, say, after an hour or so of riding, it will intermittently fail to start if I kill it. It will turn over, fire once, and then won't catch. After about 10-15 minutes it will start up and run with no problems....
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #17168
jonb
Montana Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Big T- what gear ratios and rear tire are you running?

Big T:
I have bone stock bike with same load on it as you do and am dialing in my CS sprocket and rear sprocket and tire relationship. I have had a few disappointing long grinds with obstacles to move through half way up that have made me wish for more grunt.
Maybe a stabilizer would help too.
Sounds like your gearing worked for you.
Appreciate the info.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:17 PM   #17169
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath
Hey guys, for those of you who have experienced fuel pump issues, how did the problem start? My 2008 WR250R has started to develop a problem. When I get her good and warm, say, after an hour or so of riding, it will intermittently fail to start if I kill it. It will turn over, fire once, and then won't catch. After about 10-15 minutes it will start up and run with no problems....
Those symptoms describe exactly what my pump was doing before it failed. I'd replace it now before it leaves you stranded.

http://www.servicehonda.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:20 PM   #17170
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Athena Big Bore kit ordered.

I will be watching for install and ride test. Might recommend using anti-sieze on the stainless bolts and alluminum block.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #17171
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Vasculopath: When I first test road my new 09 a couple months ago, It did not start when I was done. I turned the key on and opened and closed the throttle 3 times, hit the starter and it fired right up. No problems 1900 miles later.

I have the Safari tank. Today at a 144 miles the low fuel light came on. From past experience I know it takes 2.3 gallons when the light comes on. I road another 68 miles, for a total of 212 miles. Was running fine when I rode into the gas station. The bike took 3.421 gallons.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #17172
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 364
Damn

Gdamnabbit. Thought so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
Those symptoms describe exactly what my pump was doing before it failed. I'd replace it now before it leaves you stranded.

http://www.servicehonda.com/
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:14 PM   #17173
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Colorado 2010

My brother Apostle2 and I just returned from Silverton and Taylor Park Colorado. It was great riding and we'll get a report together over in the ride report section as soon as we can upload pics and write it. We both returned to major slamage at work so this may take a bit to complete. Here are a few teaser pics 'till then:

We played "Capture the Flag"

Climed a few hills

Experienced a little carnage (Quicksteel...Never leave home without it.)

And stayed nice and toasty in the camper!

More later,
Gary
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #17174
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,547
Looks like a blast! I'll be waiting for the ride report
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #17175
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasculopath
Gdamnabbit. Thought so...
Well at least I've heard of several WR owners getting the dealer to replace them under warranty. Seems like Yamaha "knows" about the fuel pump issue.. I know guys who got them replaced and the new one still wasn't acting up... that's where I find myself...

ADV Gear | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote