Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #17251
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Posted this on the WR250 Forum, but posting here too in case not everyone frequents that form.

After installing the pump in the ims tank I put some gas in the tank and let it set on my bench to make sure it was not going to leak around the o-ring gasket. Well, it did seep - not a full on leak with drips, it just kept the underside of the tank constantly in a film of gas around the perimeter of the fuel pump. Took the pump off and put it on three different times thinking I wasn't getting something just so so. Seepage every time!

Fourth time I looked closely at the tank and there are some fairly deep milling marks where ims has milled the fuell pump mounting area flat. The milling marks are too fine for the rubber gasket to squish into and completely seal, so you get constant seepage...never got an actual drip tho.

Finally I put a thin film of gasket sealer around the perimeter of the hole and this appears to have solved the problem.

If you put your tank back on the bike before checking it for leaks you very well could have the same issue but probably can not see the damp ring around the pump while the tank is mounted on the bike. If you have a gasoline odor after installing the tank this is likely the culprit.
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:12 PM   #17252
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by shua
Man this thread is huge. Really interested in this bike, and have been reading through the post's. Just a couple of questions if somebody has a minute. My local dealer has the supermoto version of this bike in stock. How much different is the suspension setting's on this bike versus the regular plated wr. Also would it be easy to switch wheels. Would appreciate any input, thanks.
I will swap you my R wheels and front brake for your X wheels and front brake if you are interested and get that X
Old 09-18-2010, 08:08 PM   #17253
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
I'm almost ready to start my post on the Athena install. Think I've got her dialed in tight. Need one more day to verify...
Its going to be a great Show-n-Tell. I guarantee.
HF, now I know you put that Athena on there after riding my Rē motor, you just couldn't look at yours the same way again.
You'll have to tell me if it made the grade...

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:09 PM   #17254
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 887
I spoke too soon this morning. My IMS tank leaks. It's not consistent - doesn't happen immediately when you put gas in. But near the end of a long ride, it was leaking onto the ground at one point at a couple of drops per second. I have now taken it back apart to see what I can see.

First of all, it was coming from seal between the tank and the pump. No where else. After removing the pump, I see some milling marks in the plastic tank, but I question if that is the cause of the problem. When I look sideways at the opening, it appears to be simply not flat. That might explain the intermittent leaking more easily than milling marks would. If the opening is not true, it might seal well enough at rest, but under the pressures of bike movement, simply flex too much. Just a guess.

Regardless, life is too short for intermittent problems, particularly the kind that leak gasoline. I think this one will be going back.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:37 PM   #17255
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Highfive Athena Big Bore Project

Ok...I'm ready!

I decided to start a fresh Thread for this project, rather than clog up this forum with all the nitty gritty techno details. If you want to follow along with me through my installation, tuning, ride impression, etc....jump over to my linky here, in the "Thumpers" section:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621532

You'll get a step by step of every detail. Its still a work in progress...

HF

p.s. Yeah Cyborg....its all about you, baby!
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #17256
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
How did you all configure your 3CS from Eastern Beaver during the order process?

Im looking at the following :
SEALED 3CS, 1 fuse unswitched
Posi-tite Blue WT1416
Long switching lead option
Protective Diode Option
Relay Weather Proofing Option

Any of these options not necessary?
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM   #17257
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Would like to hear of any recommended grips that might be a little better for multiple days of 200+ miles. Will have grip heaters installed.
Jim,
I've found I really like the Pro Taper Pillowtop grips. I've heard one or two comments that they don't last too long, but I have a few thousand hard miles on mine and they are still doing fine. More comfortable, for me, than the stock grips that I ran for the first 6,500 miles and more comfortable than the aftermarket grips on my wife's WR (don't know the brand because previous owner swapped them out).

If you are going with heated grip inserts, some have liked the heated grips (to kill two birds). I can't recall which size, but they are this brand: http://www.hotgrips.com/
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 AM   #17258
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
I spoke too soon this morning. My IMS tank leaks. It's not consistent - doesn't happen immediately when you put gas in. But near the end of a long ride, it was leaking onto the ground at one point at a couple of drops per second. I have now taken it back apart to see what I can see.

First of all, it was coming from seal between the tank and the pump. No where else. After removing the pump, I see some milling marks in the plastic tank, but I question if that is the cause of the problem. When I look sideways at the opening, it appears to be simply not flat. That might explain the intermittent leaking more easily than milling marks would. If the opening is not true, it might seal well enough at rest, but under the pressures of bike movement, simply flex too much. Just a guess.

Regardless, life is too short for intermittent problems, particularly the kind that leak gasoline. I think this one will be going back.
Hi Richard.
Mine had a leak issue, too. It mostly just 'seeped' around the fuel pump seal. I think it is slightly 'not flat' on the bottom of the tank. Dealing with plastic, i'm sure it varies a lot from the manufacturer. I put some silicone rtv sealant around my rubber washer, & with no riding, it is holding a seal. I'll report back when i get some riding in.

I only had slight seepage.. it did not drip. Even after a long, bumpy ride, it still just seeped. ..enough to smell gas in the garage.

I'll be interested in seeing if the rtv sealant will solve the problem after some hard riding. I've got a couple of big rides coming up & don't want to deal with any leaks, either.

I let the sealant cure overnight before putting the tank back on. This time i had to torque the tank down.. it didn't fit as well after sitting. I'm not worried about some flexing/swelling in the tank.. as long as the bolts can pull down without disturbing the other fittings, especially the fuel pump.. the plastic should give & then adapt to whatever the hold down bolts tell it to conform to.

I had a smooth tank at the fuel pump. No ridges or seam lines. But it wasn't perfectly flat at the pump. The bolts should pull it flat & hold a seal. I'm probably going to leave off my plastic shrouds so i can feel under the tank for a while to watch for any leaks... so i'm back to a mad max look on my poor bike. It may grow on me.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:18 AM   #17259
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Jim.
regarding grips: I also like the pro taper pillows.. but i think the best grip for vibration & comfortable riding is the easy grip. .. that is, easy grip with your hands. If i get in to a white knuckle grip.. especially if i haven't been riding for a while, i notice vibration, arm pump, & quick fatigue. I have to concentrate on having a light grip on the bars. Then, it doesn't matter which grips i have.

Of course, miles of rough, rocky riding takes it's toll.. hard to have a light grip when bouncing off rocks & hanging on to a bucking bronco! But i try to transition back to an easy grip when i get on long gravel or pavement.

But i do like the soft grips, like the pro tapers, for easy riding. Az Tom has those or another very soft grip on his bike.. makes riding very comfortable.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:44 AM   #17260
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Planning on a long ride this fall (1500+ miles) and noticed after a hundred miles or so that my hands feel the vibs with my current grips. Would like to hear of any recommended grips that might be a little better for multiple days of 200+ miles. Will have grip heaters installed.

Thanks,

Jim
I have grip heaters, too. For me, Progrip 714's are the best I've found that'll soak up vibes and still let me feel all the heat in a hurry. Otherwise, I like the Oury Road grips. These are very soft and comfortable, but the thick blocks that absorb the vibes so well also insulate from the heat. I can't get by without grip heaters, so I swap grips from season to season.

Sarah
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #17261
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo
How did you all configure your 3CS from Eastern Beaver during the order process?
I buy from Eastern Beaver, but not fuse panels. Just buy fuse holders and relays and wire them as you need them. It is preferable to fit individual fuses in small spaces than to take up a larger space with a fuse panel. Learn how to solder if you don't already know. You will be empowered.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #17262
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer
......I have grip heaters......thick blocks that absorb the vibes so well also insulate from the heat. .....
Agreed.....if you go too "pimp" on your grips you're going to defeat the usefulness of the cheapo grip heaters.......thin grip/light touch......
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #17263
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
Hi Richard.
......I only had slight seepage.. it did not drip. Even after a long, bumpy ride, it still just seeped. ..enough to smell gas in the garage......
I went out in the garage and gave my bike a "sniff test".....slight odor...........I'd imagine mine *may* have a very slight weapage too.....I didn't use any rtv.....that said, it's doesn't appear to be THAT big of a deal to me.......
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #17264
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Agreed.....if you go too "pimp" on your grips you're going to defeat the usefulness of the cheapo grip heaters.......thin grip/light touch......
Or soft 'pimped' grips and heated gloves (instead of grip heaters). They are much warmer than heated grips because they heat the wind side (back side) of your hand rather than your palm and you can use them on any bike, ATV, or vehicle you are in. Down side is you have to remember to throw them in the saddle bag even if you aren't sure you'll need them while the grip heaters are always there; you can't forget them at home. So far, it's not been an issue for me and it's been nice to have the heated gloves on whatever bike or ATV I decide to ride the day.

Heated gloves plus a heated liner and I ride the 30 minutes to work down to about 15 degrees each year (until the roads get any snow or ice). Hey, it's Montana. If I only pulled out of the garage if the 7AM morning temp was over 40, my riding season would only be 4 months long. Gloves and liner extend the riding season (comfortably) to at least 8 months of morning commutes and 9 or even 10 for daytime/afternoon rides.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #17265
SheWolf
Under Your Bed

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo

Many thanks to SheWolf for organizing the discounted pre-order thing. I like the tank a LOT, Wuffie! Good job! Notice I carefully never said: "Tanks A Lot". arrrgh.. now I went and did it.

Artoo
"is too"
No problem! It just stinks that yours gave you so much trouble. I'm glad to help where I can, and as long as it helps another rider, hey, it's all good.

As for that locking gas cap it WILL NOT fit the IMS tanks for our bikes. Chuck tried that and a few others and none of them will fit THIS tank (his words).

2009 WR250R

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/forum.htm
SheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote