Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #17326
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan
Okay, who's going to step forward with me and admit they're jonesin' to go put a deposit down on the Yammie Super Tenere?
Not me.......I'm fighting a different battle.......I'm content with the WR250R for my ADV needs.......put I'd REALLY like to throw an AZ. street plate on one of these for dualsport/desert riding:

http://www.ktm.com/300-XC-W.189.20.html
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #17327
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 10,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer0987
May seem like a stupid question but where do you guys keep insurance card and registrations at?
In a tank bag.

On the KTM that had a pop-off airbox cover, I taped a zip-lock baggie w/ then in there.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #17328
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
No More Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns

575lbs

120lbs more than the 990?

No way.

+1

No more pigs for me. Perhaps mine are unique reasons (doubt it), but no thanks on the Tenere. It's pretty much the antithesis on the "go light" theme of this thread.

I admit money is a factor, too. But frankly, I don't think I'd buy one used in a year or two for $5k or $6k or whatever.

Heck, even went for a used WRX for $2.9k with super low miles to avoid the big hit on depreciation. I only had the "new bike smell" once and didn't like the "power payments".

Each to their own. Congrats to those ordering and waiting for Super Tenere's. Love the colors, BTW.

My signature line pretty much covers where I'm at.

If I thought I could handle a big heavy street bike once again to add instead of a one bike stable, I'd probably go with one of many heavyweight superslab bikes and buy it used for low dinero. Seein' a lot of big bikes in the private used market and they don't appear to be moving for anywhere near low book. I'd plan to buy it in the dying winter market. But then again, that's a reflection of my budget, too.

By the way, I'm not saying the Tenere is a street bike. I don't know what it's genre is. But in that weight class, it would assuredly be a street bike FOR ME.

Disclaimer: Some can supposedly handle big heavy bikes in the really rough stuff. I've never seen it in person, but have occasionally seen videos that amazed me. Anyhow, I'm just too beat up for a heavyweight to be my cup of tea.

ARteaux

BigFeet screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 01:22 PM
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #17329
TrailDust&SaddleLthr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Registration & Insurance Papers Storage Solution...

"The Grifter" License Plate Locking Compartment

http://icubed-online.com/grifter.html

This is probably the most practical... I have it, not installed yet, but will be soon!
TrailDust&SaddleLthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #17330
parkerfe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
A friend of mine bought one so he could ride with us on FSR in the Chattahoochee National Forest. It is a real turd...slow, heavy and poor handling...obviously designed for the street and constructed of cheap made to a budget parts. It will break three or four parts by falling on the kick-stand.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #17331
BigFeet
Banned

Windshield

I think I'm going to try this windshield setup. Info is farther down the page and it's the post by GsVs with the animated gif.

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh...-lip-t1296.htm

That's on a different bike, though. Here is a link to Madstad's gallery showing it on the WRR:

https://system.netsuite.com/core/med...e&cktime=87901

Artoo
Old 09-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #17332
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Believe it or not...

...this has been working nicely for me. Less than $10 at Harbor Freight and less than 5 minutes to mount. Plastic mesh screen from a grinding hood. I simply removed it from the flip-up headband mount and wire-tied it to the headlight mask between the instrument cluster and the number plate.

Flexible and distorts/disturbs the wind blast enough to get it off my chest (haven't been getting bugs on my jacket since I mounted this either). The bugs and other debris just hose off from the rear.

Just sayin'...
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #17333
BigFeet
Banned

Believe it or not...

GSBS,

If memory serves, you'd earlier said it also helps with the visibility of the LCD instrument cluster.

I liked the sound of that, too.

Artoo
Old 09-21-2010, 03:02 PM   #17334
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,900
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo
GSBS,

If memory serves, you'd earlier said it also helps with the visibility of the LCD instrument cluster.

I liked the sound of that, too.

Artoo
...because it's black, it casts a bit of a shadow over the instruments.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #17335
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1
I am paying $12,500 for mine, yes a lot of money, but no where near $20K.
That's a smokin' deal considering the MSRP for the stripper is $13,900 (unlike the Euro first year model, the U.S. model comes without panniers). Pay for panniers and other farkles, tax, etc. and one gets pricey quickly. Even if your out the door price is $12,500, I can still get more than two or three of the bikes on my list for that (I usually buy one or two year old used bikes and let someone else pay a few thousand clams for that "new feeling" or pay a lot more for that "this model just came out" feeling and then don't pay sales tax either). Still, I'm sure I'll find a super-heavyweight adventure bike in my garage in two or three years. Might be a SuperTenere, Stelvio, or ? depending on what is out by then.

Chadx screwed with this post 09-21-2010 at 05:47 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #17336
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns

575lbs

120lbs more than the 990?

No way.
Awwww, come-on, Biguns. You're usually such a stickler for attention to detail. The KTM weight is dry weight, Yammie is only quoting wet weight currently; convention being 70lbs difference in fluids and battery (wikipedia). That brings the difference down to 50 lbs. Small price to pay to get away from the orange maintenance schedule. Plus I can go on a diet. KTM will always be a maintenance nightmare.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #17337
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS

Just sayin'...
Has anyone ever wondered how David can even make a picture of bug splatter look amazing?!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #17338
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerfe
A friend of mine bought one so he could ride with us on FSR in the Chattahoochee National Forest. It is a real turd...slow, heavy and poor handling...obviously designed for the street and constructed of cheap made to a budget parts. It will break three or four parts by falling on the kick-stand.
On my ride this past weekend we had to stop on the trail four times to fix the KTM's. No problems at all with my WRR . . . and of course I was the only one to ride three hours to get there. The KTM's came on trailers . . . just sayin'.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #17339
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
On my ride this past weekend we had to stop on the trail four times to fix the KTM's. No problems at all with my WRR . . . and of course I was the only one to ride three hours to get there. The KTM's came on trailers . . . just sayin'.
Well said.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #17340
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan
Okay, who's going to step forward with me and admit they're jonesin' to go put a deposit down on the Yammie Super Tenere?

I'm bettin' Krabill is. Who else?... Oh, shinola...

"No, baby, I don't think it's pretty! I'm only lookin' at this ugly bike for maybe one 2-up trip a year AT MOST!" :: Rē was lookin' in the window here at work trying to see what I was typing, shhhhh ::
Cool bike for some, but no thanks. Would rather have something a LOT lighter like a Japanese version of the Beemer F800GS (hell, or the Yammie XT660 or 660 Tenere' for that matter!).

It IS more fun to ride a small bike fast anyway (keep in mind I ride the bike that inspired the Busa on the street - it collects a lot of dust since the WRR showed up...)
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote