Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #17371
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
BTW, Cycoactive (for the Motofile pouch) and TouratechUSA are the same business, same building, same great folks.
Ride past them everyday on way to work. Someone there is riding a WRX so lets hope they start making some specific stuff for us.
chief_lee_visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #17372
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
My favorite of Bonnie today, in downtown Winfield, Colorado:

Nice to see the aspens changing.. i need to get up to the north side of Flag & catch the colors before there gone.. thanks for the reminder!

Downtown Winfield looks like a happening place! Nice shot!
scotty
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #17373
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop
I've gotta quit reading HF's big bore thread
Yea me too. I don't think that I need the Athena, but I think that I sure would like the PCV and Autotune instead of my FMF tuner. I sure do hate the on-off throttle around idle.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #17374
willcp00
shotgun

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
Yea me too. I don't think that I need the Athena, but I think that I sure would like the PCV and Autotune instead of my FMF tuner. I sure do hate the on-off throttle around idle.
Amen to the throttle snatch! I bought one of those G2 Tamers, and it doesn't completely cure it, but boy it sure does help! I've also found that if I set the FMF tuner's green light (can't remember which it is in sequence) to 3, that seems to help some as well.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #17375
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader
Been checking out the Super Tenere thread today. Glad they're coming to the U.S.A. At least one of the big four is paying attention to the DS market.

That said.... I'm with you on the heavy weight "Adventure" segment.

I went from a WR250F (sold - not road legal) to a Honda XR650L (sold - too tall, top heavy, shaky) to Suzuki V Strom (sold - too street) to a WR250R / DR650SE combo.

In January I got the "BMW GS1200 itch". Went to New Zealand and rode one for over 4,000 miles.... Had double hernia surgery in July and still suffer from a torn bicep muscle from picking the PIG up. That cured me, not really interested in owning a 575 pound "adventure" bike no matter who makes it.

AK Greg

Cool, I hadn't even heard it was coming here. Not in the bike market right now but it is a nice choice to have available.
My Ulysses was fun and I'm sure the Tenere would be too.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #17376
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,225
Other than protection items and luggage, my WR˛ is stock and I intend to leave it that way, but I usually look up the farkles mentioned here out of curiosity. Where are you guys finding the PC V for WR˛? When I look at the PC V page and select the WR250R/X, I get booted to a PC III page...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #17377
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
The Rider, not the Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
you know the saying...
it's the rider NOT the bike.
Eakins,

Up to a point, I agree. But the bike can make a HUGE difference in what a particular rider can do - or more importantly CANNOT do. I found this especially true contrasting my riding abilities before and after I became crippled.

But in fairness, I was never comfortable on a heavyweight offroad.

Comparing my last 2 bikes, perhaps a more accurate way of stating it than my signature line would be this:

My last bike (a pig) was GROSSLY handicapping my ability to ride. My dirt outfitted WRX has removed that handicap entirely. I find I'm able to ride trails I thought had passed beyond my ability FOREVER.

OR: I'm riding like I was 30 again. That's not necessarily all good. In recent retrospect, I see that I'm taking some risks I probably shouldn't with all the plastic and metal parts of MY structure... yet the WR makes it like a walk in the park. Precise, listens to subtle control and footpeg inputs, etc.

So, once again IMHO, the bike made a HUGE difference for me. Astonishing. More than I dreamed possible. I find that skills I'd learned on dirt bikes earlier in life can once again be applied instead of feeling at the mercy of an overweight bike. Conversely, the pig was like trying to ride an anchor.

I've seen other riders do amazing things on pigs in videos, but never in person so I figure: In reality, it's probably kinda' rare. As for me, I couldn't do a damned thing with it and it was very well set up as porkers go.

Anyhow, all opinions respected. This one just happens to be my own unique experience.

A different bike made a MASSIVE difference for me.

Artoo
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #17378
BigFeet
Banned

Pcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
I'm glad that HF is working on the PC5. I'd heard of many people having problems with it; especially with autotune. I figure HF will get it figured out for the rest of us!

What're we talkin' here? A separate $1,000 just for the PC5 with autotune? If I'm in the ballpark there, I'm afeared that's gonna be too rich for my taste.

As for the Athena, it's a lot of beer money... but I'm waitin' on HF's results. Maybe do it with my existing FMF programmer re-flashed.

I have this unreliable F150 I might peddle for an Athena kit... so long as the Athena kit turns out to be more reliable than the F150! Wouldn't want to turn "BigFeet" into a frickin' 2 wheeled Ford!

arII

BigFeet screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 10:55 AM
Old 09-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #17379
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber
When I look at the PC V page and select the WR250R/X, I get booted to a PC III page...
Try looking under the 2009 model WRR. For some reason they think the '08 is different than the '09.

Edit:

Got mine at McCoy Motorsports. $494 for both.

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #17380
BigFeet
Banned

G2 Throttle Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcp00
Amen to the throttle snatch! I bought one of those G2 Tamers, and it doesn't completely cure it, but boy it sure does help! I've also found that if I set the FMF tuner's green light (can't remember which it is in sequence) to 3, that seems to help some as well.
Likewise, I'd say the G2 400 throttle tamer cam is a big improvement but not perfect. Probably as much improvement as can be made with the cable pull.

Having said that, with all the other HF mods (except the Athena), I find I can ride the bike in really technical stuff. I quickly adapted to whatever little of the throttle snatch is left.

Rteaux
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #17381
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson.biguns
Try looking under the 2009 model WRR. For some reason they think the '08 is different than the '09.

Edit:

Got mine at McCoy Motorsports. $494 for both.

Gracias!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #17382
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo
Likewise, I'd say the G2 400 throttle tamer cam is a big improvement but not perfect. Probably as much improvement as can be made with the cable pull.
tell me more about that throttle tamer gents.... does it change the way the throttle rolls on? what is it and what does it do? i personally see a pretty jerky/snatchy throttle when maneuvering thru rough stuff in 1st gear. will this help?
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #17383
BigFeet
Banned

Throttle Tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo
tell me more about that throttle tamer gents.... does it change the way the throttle rolls on? what is it and what does it do? i personally see a pretty jerky/snatchy throttle when maneuvering thru rough stuff in 1st gear. will this help?
Yeah, that's it. It has a much reduced "cam" pulling the cable for the first short distance, then ramps up to normal or maybe more.

Interestingly, it doesn't make the throttle roll feel different anywhere else except reducing the snatchiness. I'm guessing some of this is common to many EFI bikes due to much sharper throttle response.

That's usually a good thing, but sometimes a problem off idle.

Artoo

edit: Trizzo, yeah, IMHO it definitely helped me in rough stuff in first 2 gears. Much more control. As others have said, probably still not "perfect trials bike throttle", but I think it was the biggest single improvement I made in this area. rtoo

BigFeet screwed with this post 09-22-2010 at 11:30 AM
Old 09-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #17384
BigFeet
Banned

G2 Ergonomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo
G2 Ergonomics will sell you one of 2 kits.

The so called "Throttle Tamer" comes with only one cam. The 400 cam which has the slowest roll on - off idle.

Or a slightly more expensive kit which I bought. It came with a 200, 300 and 400 cam as a special request.

These cams roll in faster than the 400, but still some slower than stock.

In hindsight, the 400 is barely enough. So IMHO, no need to get the 3 cam kit. Save the extra $20 clams and just go with the "Throttle Tamer" as the 400 cam is the cat's arse with this bike.

YMMV.

Arrrrrgh2
Old 09-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #17385
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
interesting... i was hoping my dirty air filter would slow my roll on, but it hasnt ;-)

time to test out this throttle tamer, thx artoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artoo
G2 Ergonomics will sell you one of 2 kits.

The so called "Throttle Tamer" comes with only one cam. The 400 cam which has the slowest roll on - off idle.

Or a slightly more expensive kit which I bought. It came with a 200 and a 300 cam as a special request.

These cams roll in faster than the 400, but still some slower than stock.

In hindsight, the 400 is barely enough. So IMHO, no need to get the 3 cam kit. Save the extra $20 clams and just go with the "Throttle Tamer" as the 400 cam is the cat's arse with this bike.

YMMV.

Arrrrrgh2
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote