Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #17401
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,883
A friendly reminder to take some slack out of your throttle cables for those of you with a heavy hand... having 2 8mm wrenches helps a lot. I used one and a pair of pliers.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #17402
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg
Anyone know if any aftermarket tail light other than the edge? My edge stopped working (tag light still worked and it would light up when you hit the brakes). Ideally something with a bit of a fender.

Thanks,
Hugh
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...c+Led+Dropdown
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #17403
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan
Okay, who's going to step forward with me and admit they're jonesin' to go put a deposit down on the Yammie Super Tenere?

I'm bettin' Krabill is. Who else?... Oh, shinola...

"No, baby, I don't think it's pretty! I'm only lookin' at this ugly bike for maybe one 2-up trip a year AT MOST!" :: R² was lookin' in the window here at work trying to see what I was typing, shhhhh ::
I ain't shy....I'll raise my hand. Yeppers, the S10 has got me thinkin'. My WRR is so well built, and has been such a great all-round bike, a "big" version for burning up the super slab (and everything else!) is definitely tempting. Shaft drive, traction control, good fuel range... I just gotta make sure my Guzzi doesn't peep in here and see me typing this or she'll spit me off the next time I ride her, because she'll have to go if I get the Tenere. We'll see....First I want to see/ride the new Triumph, and I definitely want to throw a leg over the S10 before I put the deposit down (I hear at least one is making the rounds at the dealers here in the US). But no way is the WRR ever leaving....you'll have to pry that bike from my cold dead hands. I was just on a 100 mile (damn that small tank!) "mind clearing" romp through the local canyon twisties and the WRR never ceases to impress me. It is just a freakin' hoot on the small roads.

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #17404
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
beast

I don't want to really encourage people to talk about the anti-thesis of lightweight offroaders on this thread but we are a democratic bunch so I'll just mention my observation about this bike. That is: expensive, metallic plastic. A big slab of ugly too...
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:29 PM   #17405
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Talking I'm In

It's been a long wait, but everything lined up and I found myself heading out for 5 days of riding the Sequoia/Kings Canyon area of the Western Sierra with a brand new WR250R in the back of the truck. I've been (mostly) lurking here for a year, Crawdaddy and I kept looking at the same ads for WRR's that were California legal...

A few things came up that managed to dissolve the new bike fund, but when my wife got her M1 license/learner's permit, we were suddenly in the situation where SHE could ride on-road, and I couldn't. SheWhoMustBeObeyed set down the law--I needed to get that WRR .

So, I did.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy about the whole thing . And I hadn't even ridden it yet...

We had a great 5 days. Most of the National Forest riding areas here in Northern California are broken up into small chunks that can be connected by riding paved roads, but that only works if you've got a plated bike. The WRR solves that perfectly for me. I'm working on a small ride report but here's a couple photos:

A typical trail/road, with some deadfall we had to clear. Didn't take long and we were on our way again.

I'm one lucky sob...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #17406
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Well, Medski didn't want to ride with me. He wanted to bore on for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Even slept on top of a mountain pass, rather than sleeping in a bed with his WR all tucked in next to mine in the garage.

So I was feeling pretty sorry for myself. I was feeling even sorrier with the weather and work keeping me cooped up indoors. This afternoon, the weather promised to break a bit, so I grabbed my gear, the bike, and decided to do part of The Medski Route Not Travelled in the area around my little hovel.

Things didn't seem to promising to begin with. Lots of these big ugly clouds hanging around the last three weeks. Even the water in the river is a little dirty right now. If we could but get but some Indian summer this year - which would be nice, considering I got no summer at all this year.

For you fly fishermen out there, the west slope cutties in this run are real suckers for an olive or light blue Wulff, wafted out there on gossamer line attached to a #3 fly rod.

But the clearing trend continued, and soon there was a lot of blue sky up there - first time in weeks. Although, unfortunately, that probably means it is going to freeze any night now.

The old church has seen better days. This isn't the best time of the year for taking pictures on this ride - the leaves have just started changing colors. But the way this year is going, there won't be another chance to catch pictures of fall colors this year.

Then there's the old Perry Creek water wheel. We used to play on it all the time when we were kids, about 45 years ago, back when it was still in the gold diggings on Perry Creek. It has been moved down to the old Galbraith's Ferry site now, where it is displayed quite prominently. Pity they hadn't placed it so you could get pictures of Mount Fisher in the background.

An old road grader on the way up towards the Steeples. My guess would be sometime after the turn of the century.

That would be the LAST century to you young guys.

And The Steeples were strutting their stuff. Just wait another couple of weeks and see what they look like on a sunny day.

Further down the trail, another grassland lake. They have fish in them, but I tend to waste my time fishing on the rivers.

The nice part of riding around here is you're never far from the mountains.

This is Bull Mountain. On the civvy side, my wife (landscape architect specializing in fire based ecosystems) and I are working on a grasslands restoration project here for some neat folks that run a Buddhist retreat on the land. It is also where I hunt bighorn sheep, right at the very tip top of the mountain. I can see a day coming when the old body is just too old to hump everything up there chasing sheep.

And, Bull Mountain continues on. Just over the top is Dibble Glacier.

Well, there would be a bit more, but I got suckered in to some of SheWolf's natural habitat. I am not a mud rider - I get enough of that shyte at work, where more often than not I end up living in it.

Nevertheless, I should have known. After that much rain, I should have known. The picture taking stopped here because I spent the rest of daylight slipping, sliding, spinning, and dabbing my way through miles of wandering, criss crossing 4x4 tire ruts, well greased with slippery mud and well filled with water.

Thus, the inglamorous end to the route Medski never rode...
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:36 AM   #17407
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Man, what pictures! Great way to start the day, thanks.

Sarah
Old 09-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #17408
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger
Well, Medski didn't want to ride with me. He wanted to bore on for hundreds and hundreds of miles. Even slept on top of a mountain pass, rather than sleeping in a bed with his WR all tucked in next to mine in the garage.

Thus, the inglamorous end to the route Medski never rode...

Outstanding post, Jager!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #17409
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog

Congrats HWD! I'm glad to see it all came together for you!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #17410
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
Jager:
great pics.. thanks for sharing. I had hoped to get up that way this year, but time is rolling on & i may only make it to utah. ..beautiful country, for sure.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #17411
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,226
Awesome pictures, Jager! Does your wife need any new staff? J/K, though I'd love to get out of this state. I happen to be an L.A. at a parks and recreation consulting firm here in NJ, but we mostly do athletic facilities and campus improvements with the odd wetlands mitigation/streambank restoration and trail project thrown in for variety(just wish they'd let me use the WR² for laying out trails).
/Hijack ...And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #17412
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
Congrats HWD! I'm glad to see it all came together for you!
Thanks! [GASPIPE DEADPAN VOICE] It has a pretty good grin/mile ratio.[/GASPIPE DEADPAN VOICE]

The one thing that surprised me was its interstate capability. After getting home I took it on a little route I used to love doing on my YZF600R up to the top of Mt. Diablo and back home.

View Larger Map

The last 4 miles are on I-680. I accelerated up to the flow, an indicated 75 mph and I was still in 5th, and not anywhere near full throttle. Put it in 6th and I could see how this bike could easily put on slab miles. Despite everything I've read it still doesn't seem possible on a little 250 thumper .

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 09-23-2010 at 09:09 AM Reason: added gaspipe sound effect
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #17413
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
You guys are killing me. I've been wanting a simple air cooled dualsport like a dr250/350 but after getting back into reading this thread I'm wanting a wr² again. As a first offroad bike for a dirt noob I'd rather destroy something like the dr before getting a nice bike like the wr² though.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #17414
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber
Awesome pictures, Jager! Does your wife need any new staff? J/K, though I'd love to get out of this state. I happen to be an L.A. at a parks and recreation consulting firm here in NJ, but we mostly do athletic facilities and campus improvements with the odd wetlands mitigation/streambank restoration and trail project thrown in for variety(just wish they'd let me use the WR² for laying out trails).
Those pictures happen to be in the SE corner of the Kootenays, in BC. She/we live in Whitefish in Montana, although I actually live in BC mostly in the last year. So you'd have to be licensed for BC as well as Montana.

The LA biz is pretty tight here these days, even in a place where the rich come to build their dream homes. On the civvy side I am a GIS analyst; I'm pretty happy to be full time in the military again these days, because my kind of GIS work (GPS surveys, topo mapping... the "fieldwork in the mountains" kind) is much worse with logging and mining in the dump on both sides of the border. Not a good economy for those in these professions.

It is kind of topical in a way because we're losing grasslands here for various reasons that my wife and you could no doubt talk about for hours. An offshoot of that is critical focus falls on motorcycles with every single incident of abuse. Nobody notices, of course, that 99% of riders ride responsibly and with respect for the land; they just notice the jerk. And that leads to more and more restrictions on where you can ride. Thanks to the jerks who refuse to stay on the trails, or just have to have buckets of roost coming off the rear tire on multi-user routes, there are now large areas of singletrack and old logging trails that are now off limits to motorized use. The idea of simply catching and heavily punishing the offenders never occurs to anyone; the solution always seems to be collectively punishing everybody.

Anyways... I have a mud caked WR to wash...
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #17415
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223
You guys are killing me. I've been wanting a simple air cooled dualsport like a dr250/350 but after getting back into reading this thread I'm wanting a wr² again. As a first offroad bike for a dirt noob I'd rather destroy something like the dr before getting a nice bike like the wr² though.

You can always get you a used Yam XT225 like I did at first. I was somewhat too tall for it, but it gave me my dirt legs safely and got me on track after a long haitus from dirt riding. Cheap, bulletproof, and re-sellable.

Then again, just get the WR and take it easy for awhile !
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote