Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2010, 07:48 AM   #17491
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
If you read the results, where the T63 did better was on the pavement. I don't need any more traction on the pavement, I need it in the dirt. I'll continue to run D606's for now.
Yeah, 606's all the way. I found that the 606's were much better when it comes to being flat resistant too. I got four flats with the 63's and not a single one with 606's. Just personal experience if that is what your looking for. Good luck with whatever you choose.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #17492
Venkman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Actually your not lubing the chain anyway.
I bought my wrr used and noticed that after rides where things got a bit dirty or dusty there was a squeaking coming from the chain area. It was the loudest when starting to accelerate. I put some wd40 on it several times to stop the noise but it was always a short fix.

I switched to a spray chain wax and soaked my chain and it cured it all.

Where was the noise coming from?
Old 09-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #17493
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
MT43 vs The World

I have never ridden a MT43, but this is what I have seen, FWIW....

While doing the Big Bear Run ride put on by AMA D37 this year in Big Bear, CA, there were about 300 riders, and I would say for sure over 1/2, and maybe as high as 3/4, were running the MT43 on the rear. And the majority of those were also running it on the front.

A few weeks later we did a SDAR ride up at Mammoth Lakes and of the group, I was the Lone Ranger on D606, while everyone else was on the MT43. There was even a good six mile stretch of deep sand that was kicking my ass, and the other guys all got through great with the MT43.

So at dinner I asked everyone about their tires and there was hardly a person that said they wouldn't stick with the MT43 for year round riding......even desert season!

Yep, asked a few of the guys who had done the LA-Barstow-Vegas ride before what tire they would take in anticipation of doing it this year, and they said MT43. You gotta know that LABV has LOTS of DEEP sand. And they all said to take the MT43.

Again, I haven't ridden it, but it is hard to resist getting one.
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #17494
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Swingarm linkage

Someone has mentioned in this thread that the swingarm bearings were a little dry when they pulled it apart.

Picked my bike up from the shop a few days ago. I was getting two new tires spooned on (didn't have time before a ride I am doing tomorrow), and asked the shop owner to take a look at the swingarm bearings, as I was having a little squeak coming from "down there" whenever you would push up and down on the tail rack.

Turns out they were dry as a bone! Seems there might be a recurring trend for those that have opened up their swingarm. I know one or two don't make a trend, but it seems that most in this thread that have pulled the swingarm found the same thing. And my bike only has 1500 miles on it, of which 1400 are dirt.

The shop owner (independent shop owner for 30 years in SoCal) told me that he has historically seen Yamaha bikes to be dry in the swingarm and steering head bearings. He joked that he thought a tube of grease would last a month on the Yamaha assembly line!
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #17495
willcp00
shotgun

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
I bought my wrr used and noticed that after rides where things got a bit dirty or dusty there was a squeaking coming from the chain area. It was the loudest when starting to accelerate. I put some wd40 on it several times to stop the noise but it was always a short fix.

Mostly likely from the chain resting on the rubber ring that is on the stock sprockets. I haven't noticed any squeaking at all since I've changed to aftermarket ones. Chain noise is much more prevalent now though...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #17496
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette
Someone has mentioned in this thread that the swingarm bearings were a little dry when they pulled it apart.

Picked my bike up from the shop a few days ago. I was getting two new tires spooned on (didn't have time before a ride I am doing tomorrow), and asked the shop owner to take a look at the swingarm bearings, as I was having a little squeak coming from "down there" whenever you would push up and down on the tail rack.

Turns out they were dry as a bone! Seems there might be a recurring trend for those that have opened up their swingarm. I know one or two don't make a trend, but it seems that most in this thread that have pulled the swingarm found the same thing. And my bike only has 1500 miles on it, of which 1400 are dirt.

The shop owner (independent shop owner for 30 years in SoCal) told me that he has historically seen Yamaha bikes to be dry in the swingarm and steering head bearings. He joked that he thought a tube of grease would last a month on the Yamaha assembly line!
Mine were nice and full of grease from the factory when I pulled it apart for the first time. I do it about every 6 months because my bike sees a lot of dirty/wet trail work, but they were fine from the factory the first time. ymmv
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #17497
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman

I think you answered your own question. The wear is coming from chain/sprocket contact and you lubed it so now no more squeaking. Sounds logical.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #17498
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

While doing the Big Bear Run ride put on by AMA D37 this year in Big Bear, CA, there were about 300 riders, and I would say for sure over 1/2, and maybe as high as 3/4, were running the MT43 on the rear. And the majority of those were also running it on the front.

A few weeks later we did a SDAR ride up at Mammoth Lakes and of the group, I was the Lone Ranger on D606, while everyone else was on the MT43. There was even a good six mile stretch of deep sand that was kicking my ass, and the other guys all got through great with the MT43.

So at dinner I asked everyone about their tires and there was hardly a person that said they wouldn't stick with the MT43 for year round riding......even desert season!

Yep, asked a few of the guys who had done the LA-Barstow-Vegas ride before what tire they would take in anticipation of doing it this year, and they said MT43. You gotta know that LABV has LOTS of DEEP sand. And they all said to take the MT43.

Understand, use what works best for your riding conditions for sure.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #17499
ducnek
Satisfied customer

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
Got out for a bit of leaf peeping today! The colors were just incredible!

Holy crap this thread moves fast!

That pic looks like last dollar road. I miss Colorado.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #17500
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
how about for nasty woods singletrack riding, up and over logs, roots, stumps, lots of leaves on the ground, etc? think it will perform admirably?

Quote:

trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #17501
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo
how about for nasty woods singletrack riding, up and over logs, roots, stumps, lots of leaves on the ground, etc? think it will perform admirably?
from the experiences others have related: roots/rocks/logs/stumps (especially wet versions of aforementioned obstacles!) are the specialty of the MT43..

And like every tire made, wet leaves/pine needles are still sketchy...

Can't wait to try them in some tight rocky singletrack/gravel road/paved twisty action to get some objective review time in
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #17502
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,035
MT43's tires are quite tall correct? So lower gearing would be in order for WRR I would assume.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #17503
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
If you read the results, where the T63 did better was on the pavement. I don't need any more traction on the pavement, I need it in the dirt. I'll continue to run D606's for now.

I've been through 2 sets of T63s and they are OK for off-road, but great on the pavement. I do about 150 miles of pavement every time I do a dirt ride so I am reluctant to use anythng else for now. On a recent ride near Salida, the knobs lost the front edge in a hurry- the tire went way off in loose gravel trail after 60-70 miles of aggressive trail riding with a fair amount of tire spin. Next time I do a ride like that I'll be using a 606 or something similar and then swapping out to my T63s for the commute and my normal dirt road trips.

Dysco screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 07:05 PM
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #17504
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,026
My wife is a new dirt rider and has hated my WRr since I got it. She was stuck on her DR650. She rode my bike to work on Friday so I could fix something on her DR and came back telling me she could ride it if the throttle wasn't so "twitchy".

I put her on it on Saturday on a dirt road headed out of Salida to do some easy trails and she kept it for 120 miles of forest roads and trails!

Suspension is addictive- she was 100% faster on the WR and launching over water bars in the first 10 miles.

Anyone want a DR650?
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #17505
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
MT43's tires are quite tall correct? So lower gearing would be in order for WRR I would assume.
slightly taller than the D606, use similar gearing, I found 13/46 to be a nice match.

The wetter, snottier, rockier, looser, and muddier the better. Insanely predictable as they just grip, especially climbing hills. Drop the pressure, grip and grin as you motor up, over, through, and away. They work in sand, mud, rocks, gravel, and any other soft surface. I don't think they work great on pavement, but I may have had a bad tire... after about 400 miles...

I'd add that I was running about 10psi, with my 220# geared up self and about 30 pounds of camping gear, and it was hot out. And they still gripped everywhere, even once I aired up to try to prevent them from continuing to overheat. Pirelli took it back under warranty fwiw...

As good as they grip I like the feel and action of a knobbie better, but its definitely worth trying out.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote