ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #17521
AKASY
Noob
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NM
Oddometer: 2,121
WRR suspension

On mine I find that leaving only 3-4 clicks of compression damping (almost none ) both front and rear along with minimum preload gives me the best results. My XR650R is setup in a similar manner. Do I bottom the front occassionally--yep--but it more than makes up for it in rocky sections. I personally like the squat and grip of increased sag on accel out of corners and the dive and hold of minimal compression damping going into a corner. To me increased compression damping only makes the ride miserable--your results may differ set her where YOU like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Yep- it was way too harsh for the rocky s**t we were riding. But she doesn't know enough about suspension to tell me. I was riding only a few feet behind her for a long time and could see what it was doing. We backed the preload waaaay back and removed about all of the compression damping we could, and a little less rebound damping as well. Just riding around the yard it seems to work better; we'll play with it more on the trail tomorrow. There might be some rocks.
__________________
Don't make the mistake of believing everything you think.
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #17522
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 200
Pic or measurement request!

I'm working with the brake line guys at moto-heaven to try and get something sorted out. The front line specs that they have wind up making a brake line that does not fit my R model very well at all. Turns out they got their specs from an X model. I don't have my stock front brake line anymore. Can someone with an R that has the stock brake line off the bike measure the distance from the center of the caliper end banjo bolt to the beginning of the stiffener that sits in the stiffener bracket on the left side fork guard? OR could someone with an X take a picture that shows the stock brake line path on the bike up close - I need to see from the the caliper to the stiffener bracket.

thanks
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #17523
AKASY
Noob
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NM
Oddometer: 2,121
Measurement 2010R






Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrey
I'm working with the brake line guys at moto-heaven to try and get something sorted out. The front line specs that they have wind up making a brake line that does not fit my R model very well at all. Turns out they got their specs from an X model. I don't have my stock front brake line anymore. Can someone with an R that has the stock brake line off the bike measure the distance from the center of the caliper end banjo bolt to the beginning of the stiffener that sits in the stiffener bracket on the left side fork guard? OR could someone with an X take a picture that shows the stock brake line path on the bike up close - I need to see from the the caliper to the stiffener bracket.

thanks
__________________
Don't make the mistake of believing everything you think.
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #17524
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke
 
Bonnie Abbzug's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: on the couch pm'ing Hayduke
Oddometer: 10,335
Check out the awesome windscreen Hayduke made me!!



It works like a charm when riding down the Hwy at 65+. No more holding myself up and getting tired shoulders from the wind!

Thank you Honey!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #17525
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
Check out the awesome windscreen Hayduke made me!!



It works like a charm when riding down the Hwy at 65+. No more holding myself up and getting tired shoulders from the wind!

Thank you Honey!

You're welcome. Glad it works well.






__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #17526
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer
 
simmons1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Out Riding
Oddometer: 1,147
Love the paint job on the screen. What did you use for paint!
__________________
Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, ST1300, KLR, GS1000s, H2 750
simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM   #17527
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman
 
HardWorkingDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Walnut Crick, Cal.
Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Sweet! Looks like you could fit a roadbook holder and satnav unit behind there...Dakar Rally or BUST
__________________
"Coffee first..."

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...


"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #17528
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1
Love the paint job on the screen. What did you use for paint!

No paint; it's a black Kydex shield with blue numberplate backing (vinyl) covering it on front. I added white numberplate backing just for aesthetics.
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #17529
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog
Sweet! Looks like you could fit a roadbook holder and satnav unit behind there...Dakar Rally or BUST

I got the idea after setting up my 525 for some roadbook rally navigation events this summer. The screen blocks enough wind at speed on the 525 that I thought she might like it for dualsporting.





__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug


Hayduke screwed with this post 09-29-2010 at 03:58 PM
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #17530
Dewtwo
old trail rider!
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Mid-MO
Oddometer: 51
feeling helpless

hey folks
How does the electical disconnect on the fuel pump lead on the bottom of the tank disconnect? I've got bad eyes, and big fingers! ... Thanks
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #17531
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 200
AKASY thanks a lot. I think that helped me figure out the problem.
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #17532
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
edteamslr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
I got the idea after setting up my 525 for some roadbook rally navigation events this summer. The screen blocks enough wind at speed on the 525 that I thought she might like it for dualsporting.
What is the FR roadbook like? Does it have an electric winder? Is it metal or plastic?
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #17533
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by edteamslr
What is the FR roadbook like? Does it have an electric winder? Is it metal or plastic?

The Free 2 Ride is metal, and electric drive, etc. It works great! Much cheaper than an MD Roadbook holder, and actually better according to some with more experience than me.

http://www.f2r.pt/epages/f2r.sf/en_G...ucts/RB730-001



__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #17534
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nice_Rumble's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: New London, NH
Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtwo
hey folks
How does the electical disconnect on the fuel pump lead on the bottom of the tank disconnect? I've got bad eyes, and big fingers! ... Thanks
IIRC there is a plastic release you need to press then pull it straight off. It's the fuel supply that's a bear.
__________________
Friend us on Facebook to learn about up coming 2014 DARC Adventure rides in Vermont.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/

Promote responsible trail riding and trail stewardship.
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #17535
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer
 
simmons1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Out Riding
Oddometer: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
No paint; it's a black Kydex shield with blue numberplate backing (vinyl) covering it on front. I added white numberplate backing just for aesthetics.
Thanks!
__________________
Goldwing, Super Tenere, WR250R, ST1300, KLR, GS1000s, H2 750
simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014