Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #17641
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Throughout the morning we swapped bikes back and forth to make comparisons. Keep in mind that HF is running 13/46 and I'm running 13/47, but on the trails, I honestly couldn't tell much difference in the "feel" of the motors at all. I don't know if my slightly lower gearing made up for the difference in power or not, I just know there wasn't much of a difference between my stock motor and HF's 290.
Would it be safe to assume that an increase in power on a specific bike is felt a bit less in the loose trail terrain since some of the power increase may be lost to additional wheel spin and/or lack of 1:1 traction? I would suspect than a modest increase in hp would be easier to feel playing around on the tarmac (be that around neighborhood blocks or on a motard track). Still, for the coin needed for a big bore kit, not to mention the time/labor and possible frustration, it's interesting that the first opinion posted from multiple back to back comparisons is "couldn't tell much difference".

Now the suspension praise isn't as surprising because that is something that is much more tangible even in small changes. I suspect that adding more power wouldn't improve most folks trails speed as much as improving the suspension would improve trail speed because a large part of riding fast is maintaining speed and being smooth rather than how fast you can accell and decell (terrain dependent of course).
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #17642
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
Would it be safe to assume that an increase in power on a specific bike is felt a bit less in the loose trail terrain since some of the power increase may be lost to additional wheel spin and/or lack of 1:1 traction? I would suspect than a modest increase in hp would be easier to feel playing around on the tarmac (be that around neighborhood blocks or on a motard track). Still, for the coin needed for a big bore kit, not to mention the time/labor and possible frustration, it's interesting that the first opinion posted from multiple back to back comparisons is "couldn't tell much difference".

Now the suspension praise isn't as surprising because that is something that is much more tangible even in small changes. I suspect that adding more power wouldn't improve most folks trails speed as much as improving the suspension would improve trail speed because a large part of riding fast is maintaining speed and being smooth rather than how fast you can accell and decell (terrain dependent of course).
I'm sure the terrain had a lot to do with it. I have no doubt that HF's bike has a couple more ponies than mine does - heck, his was faster even before he did the big bore, but out there in the woods it just wasn't one of those things that stands out. It wasn't really noticeable at all. I'm sure if we tried a drag race on the asphalt I have no doubt his bike would walk away from mine.

Going from the ~27hp or so that my bike has to the ~30hp or so that HF's bike probably has (hasn't dyno'd it yet, so don't know for sure what kind of numbers he has) just isn't all that noticeable on the trail. Going from my ~27hp to the ~50hp that the 530 is putting down on the other hand

I'm just saying for ME, I don't think I'll be spending what little money I have on a big bore kit.

I will definitely figure out someway to pay for new suspension, though
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #17643
h8redlights
God made it for us

Oddometer: 95
FMF Q4 exhaust

Hey Gang,

I have an excellent used FMF exhaust, for more info go to the flea market section under parts and you can see my post.

Also I know I don't have that much credibility with time being on the forum and post but all the items I have sold from my Olympia phantom suit and firstgear kathmandu jacket buyers have been very happy also "Crawdaddy Chris" can vouch for me if that helps

I posted more pictures on the "PARTS" flea market section
h8redlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:32 PM   #17644
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
I think that an increase in power is a factor when taking on steep hills. I watched my friend on his KTM 530 go up a 60 + degree slope with a vertical section at the top of about 10 feet. He was in second gear the whole time, not winding it out, but in control. The smaller or less powerful bikes that attempted the hill had to get huge running starts and more often than not they lost control near the top and had to abort. Now I realize that the Athena kit isn't going to add this kind of power but it would be nice to be in 2nd gear instead of first when going uphill on some of the single tracks.
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #17645
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

4.5 tank update

Got a e-mail from Chuck at IMS today so I will pass this on;

]Hello John, Sorry for the late response, I was waiting to hear back from our pattern maker, he is over loaded with too much work. The 3.1 went side ways on us for awhile and put everything behind schedule. You may have read in the WRR forum that our first tank was only 2.8 gallons and we had to redo the top twice to get it to 3 gallons. The pattern maker had started on the 4.5 using the 3 as a base and has the left side roughed out. A 2011 KTM 350 was made available to us so we had to sit the 4.5 project a side and do the KTM. As of today the KTM pattern is complete and I’m trying to wedge the 4.5 back into the line of work the pattern guy has going. The pattern maker is a good man and does excellent work; he’s just not fast enough!
I’m reluctant to give you an ETA because the mold shop is so busy…the end of January maybe? I can tell you that we will incorporate the shrouds, leave the efi pump in the same location, and provide a vacuum pump and plumbing to lift the fuel. Oh, and we are doing our best to make the tank look like it belongs on the WR.
Thanks,
Chuck

I replied back, asking if the new tank will offer any radiator protection. I am guessing it will.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #17646
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil
I think that an increase in power is a factor when taking on steep hills. I watched my friend on his KTM 530 go up a 60 + degree slope with a vertical section at the top of about 10 feet. He was in second gear the whole time, not winding it out, but in control. The smaller or less powerful bikes that attempted the hill had to get huge running starts and more often than not they lost control near the top and had to abort. Now I realize that the Athena kit isn't going to add this kind of power but it would be nice to be in 2nd gear instead of first when going uphill on some of the single tracks.
At any point on any trail we ride down here I can walk away from that 530 in the pictures at will. It has nothing to do with hp and everything to do with rider ability.

Maybe if you're trying to ride straight up the side of a mountain, but we just don't have that type of terrain around here.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #17647
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

My friend is a good rider and he made the hill climbs look easy but he told me that he couldn't climb them like he did on my WR250R.
On tight trails the xtra power is less usable and the WR can hold it's own. Over all the WR is a hard bike to beat as far as price and displacement is concerned.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #17648
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
At any point on any trail we ride down here I can walk away from that 530 in the pictures at will. It has nothing to do with hp and everything to do with rider ability.

Maybe if you're trying to ride straight up the side of a mountain, but we just don't have that type of terrain around here.
I second that, but even where you have mountainous terrain, usually a good rider will be able to carry momentum just about anywhere with a lighter, smaller bore bike better than the rider on a heavier big HP bike on dirt. Unless the hill trails are a straight shot, being able to keep that mojo going around turns and obstacles will trump horsepower every time, and big horsepower often just digs huge holes in primo trails when the rider fails to make a section, usually due to the weight of the bike and not keeping up speed due to over-reliance on HP. Which is a sore point for many of us who encounter such destruction! I ride in hilly terrain, and a big HP bike is often associated (in my mind, anyway) with a less experienced rider. No insult meant to large bike riders....I wuz one once....LOL... long ago.....
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #17649
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Typical section of trail. Buggyho was clearing out a fallen tree here. Yes, the trail goes straight up that hill

That thar looks like trail heaven, nice shot! It's always hard to portray how difficult and steep something is on film, er, pixels. You nailed it!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #17650
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby
I second that, but even where you have mountainous terrain, usually a good rider will be able to carry momentum just about anywhere with a lighter, smaller bore bike better than the rider on a heavier big HP bike on dirt. Unless the hill trails are a straight shot, being able to keep that mojo going around turns and obstacles will trump horsepower every time, and big horsepower often just digs huge holes in primo trails when the rider fails to make a section, usually due to the weight of the bike and not keeping up speed due to over-reliance on HP. Which is a sore point for many of us who encounter such destruction! I ride in hilly terrain, and a big HP bike is often associated (in my mind, anyway) with a less experienced rider. No insult meant to large bike riders....I wuz one once....LOL... long ago.....
That's all fine and dandy, but the 530 weighs about 50 lbs less than the WRR

It is a handful to ride, though. The WRR is silky smooth and doesn't beat the rider up. That 530 will wear a guy down with vibrations as the day wears on.

We did 60 miles of that rocky, nasty single track on Saturday. Buggyho relaxed in his camper afterwords and I packed my camping gear up and rode 2 1/2 hours home.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #17651
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,125
Krabill,

I picked up a WRR recently. When you passed me going West on Warloop Road leaving SLAP my thought was if the WRR is so good why does everyone try to get more power out of them.

I finally completed my XRR project and if I need power I've got it. But the lesson the XRR taught me is the $uspension is where you see/feel the benefit of $pending money.

I've followed this thread pretty closely and I've decided to leave the WRR quiet. I've opened up the air box by gluing the flapper open and I've removed the AIS and EXUP. I've installed a FMF programmer but I haven't changed the settings yet. I think I want to cut out the exhaust butterfly and I won't be gutting the Cat or baffles unless the Cat clogs up.

Do you have any recommendations to help it run any more smoothly while still remaining quiet?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #17652
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quiet and smooth. That's pretty much what I've got.

I'm sure you've seen the ultimate airbox mod - if not, go do some looking around on our website - www.wrrdualsport.com

1) AIS removed
2) FMF fuel programmer set to 3-5-0.5-8-4-4
3) ultimate airbox mod
4) completely remove the exup valve. Cut it out and weld the hole closed. This made a noticeable difference on mine. Really.
5) Remove the end cap on the exhaust can and run a hole saw (I used 1 1/8") down through the baffles in the muffler. About 3 holes will do just fine to open up the air flow yet leave it sounding pretty much stock.
6) I know you said you didn't want to, but remove the cat, too. Without the AIS system, you might have an issue with clogging since the AIS system is there to heat up the cat. With the AIS gone, you stand a pretty good chance of clogging it up.
7) enjoy a stock sounding yet very well running WRR.

And yes, I remember you from Warloop. I was stopped right here shedding some gear when you went by.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #17653
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
Did you do anything to the end cap as well, or just the baffles? The stock screen looks pretty damn restricting to me, but maybe thats just me.
skierd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #17654
xcel
Reviewer

Oddometer: 62
2010 Yamaha WR250X Adventure Touring Project Bike - X-Country at 100 + MPG complete!

Hi All:

Just finsihed with the 2010 WR250X ride of a lifetime two days ago and what a ride it was... The WR blew out my FE expectations as well as provided a few thousand miles of blood (literally!), sweat and tears... Damn Pronghorn bastards in Wyoming anyway

2010 Yamaha WR250X Adventure Touring Project Bike - X-Country at 100 + MPG

Final results: Total Distance = (3,940.438 miles)/Total Gallons = (36.454 gallons) = 108.093 mpg Cumulative MPG.

A 1,063 mile Iron Butt from Chicago to Boston to begin, a 1,091 mile Iron Butt from Seattle to LA to end and a hell of a lot of miles in between while pushing the WR for its maximum. What a bike!!!

2010 WR250X and US 20 - The Beginning and the End

US 20 West in Boston, MA.

US 20 East in Newport, OR.

Looking back, it did not seem that long of a ride but I had three breaks (collar bone included ;)) to get across.

While I was looking for a beach to snap a pic of the WR250X in the ocean, I was also looking for beachgoers that could possibly snap a pic of me and the WR at the water’s edge just as the woman did when we left on the Adventure Ride in Hull, MA just outside Boston, MA. Fortunately, I came across a somewhat populated public beach in Rockaway, OR and there was an older gentleman and his wife that not only were helpful in taking some pics but had a large rock that I could use to get the bike to stand on its own kickstand in the soft wet sand.

The Beginning and the End

The Beginning - Parked in the Atlantic Ocean in Hull, MA.

The End - Parked in the Pacific Ocean in Rockaway, OR.

An unknown creature was seen coming out of the Atlantic Ocean this past August…

The same unknown creature was seen entering the Pacific Ocean late last week

Good Luck to you and your WR's as it is one hell of a bike!

Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG

xcel screwed with this post 10-05-2010 at 09:14 PM
xcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:15 PM   #17655
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd
Did you do anything to the end cap as well, or just the baffles? The stock screen looks pretty damn restricting to me, but maybe thats just me.
Take the screen out and start your bike. Tell me what you hear.

To actually answer your question, no I didn't do anything to the spark arrestor (that's what the screen is). It is still in and fully functioning on my bike.