Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #17671
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Lights the size of a frickin' freight train won't make people see you any better on the road. "I didn't see him"

But they will get in the way off-road.
I disagree Krabill, lights can and will make a huge difference on the road - they reduce the "I didn't see him" factor - Man, I pump my brakes at intersections just to get attention when I'm waiting for a signal to change. It's not a digital on-off world out there, IMO, it's shades of probability. Every little bit can make a difference with distracted drivers. The trail thing is a compromise, it think. To each his own tho'
Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 AM   #17672
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby
I disagree Krabill, lights can and will make a huge difference on the road - they reduce the "I didn't see him" factor - Man, I pump my brakes at intersections just to get attention when I'm waiting for a signal to change. It's not a digital on-off world out there, IMO, it's shades of probability. Every little bit can make a difference with distracted drivers. The trail thing is a compromise, it think. To each his own tho'
Relying on your lights or the color of your clothing to keep you safe instead of putting all your effort into riding defensively and keeping yourself out of harms way is a recipe for disaster, imo.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #17673
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,378
Quote:
Good one! LOL....
It's that dang rotational inertia that gets you though, as a former CR500 rider, I can say that the bike wasn't that heavy but the big piston/crank ass'y was, and turning in single track was not a breeeze - I suppose if you were Conan the Barbarian you could flick it around, but mere mortals like me had to short-shift it to keep the gyro effect low - I would imagine the 530 is similar...no? And probably a higher CG to boot?
I don't know about the higher CG, but yeah, that 530 is a handful. Keeping control of all that power and dealing with the vibrations it causes would wear me out in no time. I can ride the buttery smooth WRR all day and still not be worn out when the sun goes down.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 AM   #17674
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
My theory on visibility is this..if you don't wear hi-viz or a bright color jacket, highly reflective, white/bright helmet, then visibility isn't your number one priority.. it may be somewhat of a priority but hi-viz in day and highly reflective at night is more visible than two little bulb lights.

I wear hi-viz in warmer temps and a bright yellow Fieldsheer Adventure jacket in colder, I can't find a more reflective jacket than this... if they made a hi-viz version, I'd have it. Reflective ADV sticker on the tail.. I mean that's some bling!

Saying that.. I can't say that having the stock lights would help me if a car was going to smash into me because they were txting or sexting or chasing a lost M&M.. I saw a car smash into the back of big white work van, bam! If that ain't visible, little ole me is getting smashed on my WR.

It's a combination of all the elements, jacket/helmet,lights, I flash my brake light as well at a busy intersection, just make a habit of it. Black bike, black jacket, black pants, black helmet and my rear tail setup is not the smartest nor with the stock tail. I definitely should add, as Krabill said.. riding defensively.. always a way out...

It's great to see more and more motorcyclist wearing hi-viz, on my commute I even saw a couple harley riders with hi-viz.. ok, it was their hi-viz construction tshirt, but hey, they could of put their black leather jacket over it

My ADV Website | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #17675
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r
x2
(re: done with mods other than maybe suspension)
+1

BigFeet
aka, Artoo
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #17676
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
KG,

Each to their own as you say. I stayed with the stock rear fender, taillight and signals for similar reasons... but I went ahead and modded it similar to some other inmates and got rid of the monstrosity triple step while keeping the bigger lights. I extended the license tag down using a Texas tag holder and no mud up the back of the coat. It was mostly for looks but got rid of a little weight.

The signals can still be knocked off easily in a crash, but twice I've been able to just stick the left rear signal back in it's rubber mount. It's scratched up, but whattreyagonnado? Replace it 'cause it's scratched?? I don't think so. Back to seriously: I don't want to provide some idiot with what is known as "a viable defense" by reducing factory lighting/spacing. Don't care if others do; it's just not for me. Been under the front bumper before and next time they don't get a pass. Not that lighting contributed to that one. Just sayin'. This is to address some of the vast separation between what is relevant in civil law versus under the traffic code or worse yet criminal law.

Anyway, yeah I worry about visibility too. Thinking about one of those brake light pulsing units..

Already have lots of Hi Viz on riding gear... added a big KLR/bmw roundel reflective sticker to the bottom of the oversized foot I put on the kick stand... will probably add a couple of other reflective stickers. Maybe a leftover KLR Zombie Survival Vehicle sticker. Doing what I can to increase visibility in every area but tryin' not to get gaudy about it. Well, I guess the Zombie sticker is pretty much the limit for "gaudy"! Lights may help, but stupid is forever. I don't delude myself into believing more lighting will prevent an accident. I can hope, though.

Where I ride the highway mostly (Hwy 160) ya' can be doin 15 over the speed limit actual and even then it's typical for some asshole to be tailgating 10 feet off the back fender. If ya' pull over, then ya' break their windshield with gravel and they are really pissed. Works for me. But ya' can't tilt at every windmill. Not when there are this many. Not that lighting will change this; but serious accidents are far more likely here than most places I've lived and those pretty much cover the nation. Preparedness here for me for the same reason I carry other safety gear - to make the best of a bad situation if it happens. Same reason I carry big UIM limits: Most here are uninsured; those who even try to appear to care are underinsured.

Been reading that a lot of the aftermarket taillights are failing, too. Not to say the stocker won't fail after some more beating.

BigFeet
aka, Artoo

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 09:53 AM
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #17677
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,202
So have there been any installs of the IMS tank that don't have that awkward space where the seat and tank meet? I've gone through the thread (sporatically as the searching doesn't really work well) but failed find any good photos. There are no photos that look good in the IMS thread at all. I was on the pre order list but as I saw photos come in I got turned off. It looks like it just doesn't fit. If you know who posted any photos of a good install please post a link or the inmate's name. Thanks.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:02 AM   #17678
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
So have there been any installs of the IMS tank that don't have that awkward space where the seat and tank meet? I've gone through the thread (sporatically as the searching doesn't really work well) but failed find any good photos. There are no photos that look good in the IMS thread at all. I was on the pre order list but as I saw photos come in I got turned off. It looks like it just doesn't fit. If you know who posted any photos of a good install please post a link or the inmate's name. Thanks.
I received a 3.1 IMS tank that absolutely would not fit stock. I posted up mods earlier of how I made it fit under my former Artoo ID and posted pics.

With the extra fight I put into it, I thought I got a really good and factory like fit. But you've probably already seen those photos earlier in this thread so apparently you disagree. 'Salright.

It was an SOB, but I like the final result.

While fighting it on and off 4 dozen times, I ended up scratching the upper visible area. Not that it should matter, but it pissed me off 'cause I wasn't sufficiently careful. So maybe being too picky because of the former autobody background, I started sanding at 600# up to 2000#. Then used guitar sanding pads in steps up to 10000#. 'Course if you've worked with those before, you know that 10k is kind of a joke. But they are finer than automotive grades. A lot of work, but the scratches are gone and I've gotten a couple of compliments on the tank. A friend couldn't believe it wasn't the stocker. So I showed him the stocker; it's satin black, not sanded and polished.

Now I can scratch it all up again righteously with a tank bag.

I had to do the o-ring upgrade, but no biggie because by that time the tank mostly fit. And I was by then an old pro at floppin' the tank off of there!

Refusal to fit like mine appears to be an anomaly. I haven't seen anyone else say if flat assed wouldn't fit. I have seen some bad gaps that really concerned me, but with the mods I listed my tank fit up what I think is really nice. And I'm pretty picky because of my background.

BigFeet
aka, Artoo
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #17679
KTMmer950
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
For The Guys Who Want A Super Tenere To Go With Your WRR

Check out
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/inter...ept-90024.html

This is only a concept bike but very cool.
KTMmer950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #17680
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
Here's a link to pics of my final fitup. Mods pics are a few pages earlier under Artoo ID.

BigFeet/Artoo

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9337&page=1155
Old 10-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #17681
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,195
Question Wide Pegs

The KotW ride made me realize I should probably throw some wider footpegs for the WR250R (my feet were a bit sore on the stock/skinny pegs).......what are your favorites?
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #17682
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
http://www.bikebandit.com/moose-stai...steel-footpegs I like these......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
The KotW ride made me realize I should probably throw some wider footpegs for the WR250R (my feet were a bit sore on the stock/skinny pegs).......what are your favorites?

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #17683
BigFeet
Banned

New Super Tenere - 1st impression, plus pics of her "naked"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMmer950
Check out
http://www.motorcycle.com/news/inter...ept-90024.html

This is only a concept bike but very cool.
If I still had my pig, it wouldn't be used at all. That's because the WRR/WRX (the subject of this thread) is a super nimble and fun bike. Not pigly to ride at all.

Many, many others in this thread say they sold their various pigs because those bikes became unused after buying the WR.

I doubt this thread can be hijacked to the Super Tenere thread. Curious to see.

Whereas the WR's have fast gained a cult following, I think when the Tenere becomes a reality instead of an Europe only dream, it will be a flash in the pan. Just another obese bike that collects mostly dust.

Been seeing an assumption that ALL motorcyclists MUST surely have more than one bike. It's required. I've only owned 13 bikes admittedly, but never more than one at a time. That's now more enjoyable than ever - and totally doable - due to the WRR/WRX! That's a great thing; it's what this thread celebrates.

I imagine many different bikes; V-strom; Tenere; any big street bike. I have plenty of space for it. But I know it would just be collecting dust and fast losing value in my garage. I've learned that I'd rather be in a car than on a heavyweight bike. HERESY! Whatever.

What about buying a Tenere after a year for $6k instead of 12+ new? Still not interested. To those who are, more power to ya. I provided the above title as a suggested new thread...

Others have tried reeeeeally hard to kill this thread by various means through the thousands of posts and they failed. Suspect the Tenere hijacks will fail, too. Probably just highlights where the interest is... and IS NOT. A bike that's NOT big, fat, top heavy (yes, I know what "they say" and BS), overpriced, etc.

Bring the heat.

BigFeet
aka, Artoo

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 11:03 AM
Old 10-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #17684
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy
Stainless steel... cool!

I went with DRC's. OK so far, but looks like a casting so I dunno.

BigFeet
r-II
Old 10-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #17685
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Stainless steel... cool!

I went with DRC's. OK so far, but looks like a casting so I dunno.

BigFeet
r-II
I have these on all my bikes. In fact, the same foundry that makes these, makes them for me for my vintage mx business.

bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote