Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #17791
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Mine was backordered for a couple weeks, but I did finally get it. Been running like a champ ever since
I ordered my new pump right after that same batch came in. Apparently Service Honda ordered some extras... unknown if any of those are still in stock or not.

Likewise, it's working great.

My OEM pump never failed, but it's a 2008 so it might have. Didn't want to get left walkin' out of some remote area.

-feet
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #17792
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Yes, playing with the throttle on a lot of injected bikes make a difference before starting. On a BMW it resets the throttle position sensor. On a harley it well screw up the idol. When I was test riding mine, it would not restart. I turned the key off and on, opened and closed the throttle 3 times. Hit the starter, it fired right up. It now has 2500 miles on it and runs great.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #17793
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly
Yes, playing with the throttle on a lot of injected bikes make a difference before starting. On a BMW it resets the throttle position sensor. On a harley it well screw up the idol. When I was test riding mine, it would not restart. I turned the key off and on, opened and closed the throttle 3 times. Hit the starter, it fired right up. It now has 2500 miles on it and runs great.
I've never had to turn the throttle on my WR to start it... I simply turn the key on and hit the starter button. It would always fire up until yesterday when it wouldn't. This morning I went out, tried to start it just like I normally would, and nothing....it was trying to start, but never actually would. I kept trying and then started to twist the throttle a bit and it tried to start a few times, but then stalled. Finally it fired up and seemed to run fine. I'm hoping it's just the fuel pump, especially since my build date of 10/2008 seems to be in the range of problematic pumps.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #17794
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,013
Anyone have the oil drain plug copper washer dimensions handy? I'm getting a McMaster-Carr order ready. This is the first bike I've had where the bolt dimensions weren't on the 'fiche.
Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #17795
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
My WR250X has a 1/09 build date. Am I OK?
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #17796
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Lubing assistance

So while I have the wheels off is there anything I should check before putting her back together? Do the axels/spacers etc. get lubed?

Thanks

D
Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #17797
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
After everything is all cleaned up, just put a light coating of grease on the axle.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #17798
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastard
So while I have the wheels off is there anything I should check before putting her back together? Do the axels/spacers etc. get lubed?

Thanks

D
Put a thin film of high quality waterproof grease on the axle--this is for rust protection. The dust seals should also get a film of grease along the lip where they contact the spacers. Too bad they don't include a full service manual like they do with the YZ's & WR-F's. I recommend getting the Yamaha Service Manual, even though it's not cheap.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #17799
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco
Anyone have the oil drain plug copper washer dimensions handy? I'm getting a McMaster-Carr order ready. This is the first bike I've had where the bolt dimensions weren't on the 'fiche.
Dysco,

I don't have the dimensions handy, but I did find my McMaster/Carr order from back when I had a KLR650. These are the steel washers with a nitrile rubber o-ring built in and they are highly reusable. It's a package of 10 washers. The link below in the copy/pasted text from my order actually still works to take you straight to the part so you can see if that's the kind of sealing washer you want or not.

Fits my WRX's drain plug perfectly. Never had one leak a single drop... and never had to replace one again. One seems to last forever. It might not if torqued over a gritty or dirty surface; abrasion and all.

The original part number came from Wyman Wynn over in the KLR website a long time ago.

These washers are rated to 10,500 psi for fluids. I guess that might do it...

Seriously, it beats the hell out of a crush washer IMHO.

BigFeet

93786A200 PRESSURE-SEALING WASHER FOR SCREWS & BOLTS, M12 SCREW SIZE, 19.30MM OD, 1.14MM-1.40MM THK 1 PK
1 0 9.38 PK

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-08-2010 at 08:23 PM
Old 10-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #17800
Dysco
Whackaducker

Oddometer: 16,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
These washers are rated to 10,500 psi for fluids. I guess that might do it...

Seriously, it beats the hell out of a crush washer IMHO.

BigFeet

93786A200 PRESSURE-SEALING WASHER FOR SCREWS & BOLTS, M12 SCREW SIZE, 19.30MM OD, 1.14MM-1.40MM THK 1 PK
1 0 9.38 PK

Interesting- thanks!
Dysco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #17801
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco
Interesting- thanks!
You're welcomed!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #17802
BigFeet
Banned

Rotopax 1 Gallon on Pro Moto Billet Tail Rack

There was a brief writeup on this somewhere. An inmate from the other website and I were unable to find it.

So here is my installation today. Link goes to the other site with full details and many pics. There are also closeup pics of the Rotopax lock; I know there have been some questions about that recently. It's some good kit.

One picture here as a teaser...

Not that it's rocket science or anything.

BigFeet

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/oh...lock-t3136.htm

Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #17803
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,103
I'm diggin' that. I might look into doing something like that for my WRX. It would be nice to have another gallon of fuel on-board. I've cut it close on running out a few too many times with mine.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #17804
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
I'm diggin' that. I might look into doing something like that for my WRX. It would be nice to have another gallon of fuel on-board. I've cut it close on running out a few too many times with mine.
You do know that there is a side mount available as well? Helps to keep the CG lower.
Nice_Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #17805
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo?
GotoMojo,

Thanks for that.

I learned recently that they are stackable with an adapter. And that there is a similar looking "tool box" in the same form, same mounting from Rotopax.

So a white 1 gallon water pack is in my future... and maybe the tool pack. Stack one or two on depending on what kind of trip..

It's pricey, but I'm guessing it's well made.

BigFeet