Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #17806
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
You do know that there is a side mount available as well? Helps to keep the CG lower.
Yes, I think Emerson Bigguns originally designed that and that Bake is selling them now. Those will even hold 2.5 gallons is it?

I thought about it but figured I'd only be carrying extra gas about 10 or 20% of the time, so I didn't want the side rack on there adding weight the other 80% of the time. Also thought this location would be better for the multi function stuff listed above as "stacking" on the side rack might get too wide in a hurry. It was a toss-up, though and I know Bake's EB rack would be better engineering than what I did. Well, ya' know how it is. "Ya' makes yer bets and ya' takes yer chances..."

-feet

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 03:52 PM
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #17807
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
You do know that there is a side mount available as well? Helps to keep the CG lower.
Hell, I should probably add one of those, too! Be the local "super tanker" to bail out riders on empty!

Nah, 6 lbs per gallon adds up fast...
Old 10-09-2010, 03:50 PM   #17808
BigFeet
Banned

Rotopax Tool Pack

Is anyone using the Rotopax tool pack? If yes, what do you think of it?

Thanks,

BigFeet
Old 10-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #17809
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Fuel Pac

Got one sitting in the garage--seldom use it. I had it on a CRF230L and it was too much weight for the subframe the way I ride. I'm not adverse to 40+ MPH over rocks and the constant whipping up and down did the subframe in--cracked at the down tubes. Some are going to say the WR is different--I will beg to disagree and the further aft the weight the worse the stress. Anyway after repairs--my solution was to use the fuel as soon as possible rahter than carry it. With the 3 gallon IMS on the WR I now see no need for the added fuel anyway. If I were doing the CDT again I would need it only in two places, Pinedale to Rawlins and Grants to Silver City. I'm still scoping out the TAT which will be next summer--may need to use it again but I will not carry that load on the subframe over rough terrain--I will dump it in the tank as soon as possible.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #17810
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY
Got one sitting in the garage--seldom use it. I had it on a CRF230L and it was too much weight for the subframe the way I ride. I'm not adverse to 40+ MPH over rocks and the constant whipping up and down did the subframe in--cracked at the down tubes. Some are going to say the WR is different--I will beg to disagree and the further aft the weight the worse the stress. Anyway after repairs--my solution was to use the fuel as soon as possible rahter than carry it. With the 3 gallon IMS on the WR I now see no need for the added fuel anyway. If I were doing the CDT again I would need it only in two places, Pinedale to Rawlins and Grants to Silver City. I'm still scoping out the TAT which will be next summer--may need to use it again but I will not carry that load on the subframe over rough terrain--I will dump it in the tank as soon as possible.
Good to know. Although...

Yamaha rates the bike for 400 pound capacity; I weigh 160, so I figure I have plenty of room for gear, etc, in most cases. Not concerned about what my saddlebags carry, either. Far below Yamaha's total weight carrying limit.

A one gallon fuel pack will carry 6 pounds of fuel. I'm far from gettin' concerned about that. I reduced the weight on my subframe by that much just by switching to lightweight combo aluminum wrench/spoons and other lightweight tools.

Still lookin' for anyone using the Rotopax "Tool Pac". This looks just like the fuel pacs, but is a tool box kind of thing. Or put whatever you want in it. I would agree with Akasy that I would probably NOT use it for tools or just put my ultralight tools in there. Guess I'm sayin' I'd use it for a very low profile tail bag that is stackable with a water pac or a fuel pac.

-feets

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 04:43 PM
Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #17811
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Well while the bike is rated at 400 that does not mean the associated parts are rated at 400. The stock rack is rated at--6.6 pounds!
The issue is the rear loop on the subframe that essentially supports the rack. The rack does bolt in below the weld but that single bolt will just allow the rack to pivot under heavy loading.
This rear loop is supported on the right side by one weld see arrow.

It is better on the left side as it is triangulated with a seond support

However, past experience tells me that the weak point will always fail so I base my comments on the right side.

I use a bike a lot different than most with sever up and down loads--that is how the CRF230L subframe failed--according to Honda. It was a similar design but without the triangulation of the second tube on the left of the WRR--which will help but not prevent flex of the rear loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Good to know. Although...

Yamaha rates the bike for 400 pound capacity; I weigh 160, so I figure I have plenty of room for gear, etc, in most cases. Not concerned about what my saddlebags carry, either. Far below Yamaha's total weight carrying limit.

A one gallon fuel pack will carry 6 pounds of fuel. I'm far from gettin' concerned about that. I reduced the weight on my subframe by that much just by switching to lightweight combo aluminum wrench/spoons and other lightweight tools.

Still lookin' for anyone using the Rotopax "Tool Pac". This looks just like the fuel pacs, but is a tool box kind of thing. Or put whatever you want in it. I would agree with Akasy that I would probably NOT use it for tools or just put my ultralight tools in there. Guess I'm sayin' I'd use it for a very low profile tail bag that is stackable with a water pac or a fuel pac.

-feets
Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM   #17812
BigFeet
Banned

6.6 pounds... That's funny. I will admit I'm not the most violent rider, so the loading is probably not as severe.

Still, with .6 pounds of overkill, I'm fine.

Have you looked at any of the ride reports in this thread? These guys load that tail rack area with all kinds of stuff and do the TAT, the CD, etc. No reports of breakage yet that I've been able to find. If you've found any, would appreciate if you'd link 'em.

Not sayin' it can't happen, but when all these fine fellows are loading it like this and ridin' the hell out of them in very rough terrain for very long distances, it makes 6.6 pounds look a bit ridiculous. I think most would agree that the 6.6 rating is for the Yamaha rack and to reduce their products liability exposure to nil. Manufacturers sometimes go to extremes for this reason.

I've personally done a really super rough ride with that tail rack loaded with about 30 pounds. Just double checked... no cracks.

Anyway, I'll step outta' this now and see if any other inmates have opinions... just in case I've made the mistake of believing everything I think.

BigFeet

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 05:53 PM
Old 10-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #17813
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog
Put a thin film of high quality waterproof grease on the axle--this is for rust protection. The dust seals should also get a film of grease along the lip where they contact the spacers. Too bad they don't include a full service manual like they do with the YZ's & WR-F's. I recommend getting the Yamaha Service Manual, even though it's not cheap.
Thanks, You too HF. I got her all put back together with the new to me X wheels and installed some hyper-lights. Ran into a time crunch so no time for a test ride until after God Time tomorrow.

D

Dastard screwed with this post 10-09-2010 at 05:44 PM
Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #17814
Dancamp

Oddometer: n/a
I wouldn't charge heavy loads at the rear end of the rack. When I pack, I put the heavy part on the rear of the seat. Only sleeping bag and matress goes on the overhang part of the rack.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #17815
BigFeet
Banned

Taillight/Tail Rack

...and I took maybe a half pound off the stock monstrous taillight assembly; shortened the moment arm... so now I'm up to 8.6 capacity!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #17816
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancamp
I wouldn't charge heavy loads at the rear end of the rack. When I pack, I put the heavy part on the rear of the seat. Only sleeping bag and matress goes on the overhang part of the rack.
Good to know.

Can do.

-feet
Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 PM   #17817
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Is anyone using the Rotopax tool pack? If yes, what do you think of it?

Thanks,

BigFeet
The tool pack is based on the 2 gallon Rotpax can so it's a bit too big for the tail rack......be nice if they'd make a 1 gallon version but I'm not going to hold my breath......
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #17818
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
The tool pack is based on the 2 gallon Rotpax can so it's a bit too big for the tail rack......be nice if they'd make a 1 gallon version but I'm not going to hold my breath......
Chris,

That's a bummer. Thanks for the info! I agree the 1 gallon size would be cool.

-feet
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #17819
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Just another hard day at the office for the WR250Z
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #17820
nonlinear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco
Anyone have the oil drain plug copper washer dimensions handy? I'm getting a McMaster-Carr order ready. This is the first bike I've had where the bolt dimensions weren't on the 'fiche.
I have a Yamaha 90430-12213
it is .758" OD
.493" ID
.062" thick

cheers
nonlinear
nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote