Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #17896
D1EHARD
Got the Fever

Oddometer: 87
Thanks for all the replies guys. I took one Yellow (marked II) and one black (marked II) and wired it up. The bike has to be running for the light to turn on but it works. And man does it work...very bright. It turns on in the "high" position. I had to get creative with my blinkers, speedo and the girth of wires under the light....I love the look. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the quick replies....WRR/X riders are the shiz.

D1EHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #17897
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,880
If you feed off the green(?) wire that heads to the switch on the handlebar, it will stay on no matter what light setting. Thats where I tapped for my heated grips (thanks to BigDog's setup), its the feed from the battery to the headlight.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #17898
mcbroom
Tame Thrillseeker

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
MiXu,
If you didn't do it while installing, loosen all the bolts a bit and then, as you tighten the two front bolts one at a time, push/hold the case saver towards the case. There is a little play there and if you just tighten the bolts while the case saver naturally sits, you are giving up some sprocket/chain clearance.
Thanks Chadx, I'll try that.
mcbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #17899
D1EHARD
Got the Fever

8" Race Light

Here are some quick pics of the Trail Tech 8" Race Light on my bike. The install isn't plug and play, but I really dig it. I still have some straightening up to do behind the light.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #17900
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek
I've got it started.. but i'm taking my wife to the airport this evening, & will be busy for a few days.. don't know if i can get back to it until later. The Birthday Ride needs my full attention. I'll tremble & won't be able to type when i'm relaying what happened on that ride..

Here's the link:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=628587

What kind of front tire is that? diggin the look
Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #17901
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
Not a bad showing for the oldest guy on the smallest bike

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=94
Congratulations

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #17902
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1EHARD
Here are some quick pics of the Trail Tech 8" Race Light on my bike. The install isn't plug and play, but I really dig it. I still have some straightening up to do behind the light.

Were you able to keep the stock gauge cluster as is, or did you have to relocate it? Any pics of what you did to it?

I'd love to throw a little more light down the road...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #17903
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,905
boy both of these WRX's on this page are making me strongly reconsider selling my WRR. I have a pair of X wheels and that Trail Tech light looks freaking killer!

both of these bikes...do not suck.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #17904
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,682
Quote:
Wow Very Cool looking bike!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM   #17905
D1EHARD
Got the Fever

Thanks for the compliments guys. These bikes are so customizable and easy to work on...very fun bike to own.

Skierd, I did indeed have to move the instrument cluster. Not the easiest of things to do but it is do-able. I also had to reverse mount my blinker mounts (very easy). Yamaha really likes their instrument mount where they put it if you know what I mean...I had to break out the dremel just to get the thing loose. I basically took the stock headlight off and unplugged (a breeze). Unbolted speedo from mount (basically 3 nuts). Then I had to "dremel" the instrument mount off of the bike, no head on the bolt holding it on. As of right now, my speedo is "zip-tied" to the light brackets in two locations until I get a permanent mount made up. I have most of the wires and cabling zip tied and put between the forks behind the light. The wires were already pretty neat from Yamaha, so not a lot of cleanup is needed.

I'll try and post up some more pics Saturday while I'm tidying up the wires.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:16 AM   #17906
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,227
Gosh, looks like home to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Scotty,

Cool video! It's definitely like an alien landscape.

Larry
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #17907
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
How much stiction is normal in the front forks? I just put new Hel braided lines on my R and locked up the front brake to check the feel. When I push down on the front end I get a considerable stick/slip feel at the initial push and another when it comes off the bottom. If this were a mountain bike I would be rebuilding the fork. I never noticed it before, so I'm not sure if it has always done it or not.
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #17908
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:

Wow that looks great. There is always something about the black frame on the X that I like. Maybe it's because it's not as common as the R frame and if all I saw was the X, then I'd think the R silver bits looked great (they both do, but you get my meaning).

The light, different shroud graphics and black frame and fork give you a great unique look. I'd think about the 8" of there was one with a high/low beam available. I wonder how that would work/combine with the kydex front fairing that Duke fabricated? Hmmmm. I've actually been toying with an different headlight setup, but price is holding me back. I'd have several hundred dollars into it and I rarely ride in the dark (I avoid it all together if I can reasonable avoid it) so probably not the best use of my funds. Rather than swapping it all out, I might just consider adding one supplemental light that I can use or bring if I plan on doing some night riding.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #17909
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
"Wow that looks great..."

+1

Nice looking bike!

BigFeet
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #17910
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrey
How much stiction is normal in the front forks? I just put new Hel braided lines on my R and locked up the front brake to check the feel. When I push down on the front end I get a considerable stick/slip feel at the initial push and another when it comes off the bottom. If this were a mountain bike I would be rebuilding the fork. I never noticed it before, so I'm not sure if it has always done it or not.
tshrey,

Even with the BIG fork tubes, I'd say my WR250X has less fork stiction than my KLR did... not that the KLR is any gold standard for quality; it ain't.

But I have read several posts in here saying that changing out the fork oil to good clean 5w made a big improvement. Several said the factory fill was also uneven right to left.

As I guess is fairly usual for any first fork oil change, some said they noticed while changing out the factory fill a lot of micro debris... black stuff... probably from "wear in" metals or something?

I'm hoping some people who have already swapped out their fork oil will speak up with some direct experience with WRR forks.. Seems like some of the suspension guys said the forks are actually pretty good other than the oil. I think that was Rick at CD... unknown what GoRace had to say about that.

Maybe Hayduke or Bonnie Abbzug can comment on what their suspension guy found in the forks on Bonnie's WRR?

BigFeet
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote