User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #166
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Why?

Why do I keep reading in other posts and on other boards about this bike not having any low end? I just don't get it. Case in point: This past weekend, I was riding one of my favorite back roads, and came into a hairpin (10mph) right hander a gear too high (3rd). The exit is uphill, followed by a quick left hand sweeper. I went through the turn, rolled on the throttle, and rather than the shudder/cough/die that I was expecting, it just pulled from down low and set me up nicely for the sweeper. No drama, no need to feather the clutch to get her to climb, nothing. Just chug chug chuggerooo. Now, having done that same set of turns on my old KTM, not only would it have pulled me through, if I wasn't mindful of the loud knob, I could end up on my arse as the front end would come up, but then it was 50+ hp.

Maybe it's the EXUP, maybe it's the airbox flappy thing, who knows, but this bike continues to impress me with it's versatility, especially given that it's a "little 250" (that'll do 90+ on the tarmac.....).

Oh, and I saw a really cool old train at the station, but once again I only had my craptastic phone camera with me . So, here are a couple crappy phone pics:

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #167
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Every reviewer/owner of the WRR has reported a top speed in excess of 90mph. I've not had mine up that high because I want to stay clear of max revs until it's completely broken in, but I don't have any reason to believe that all of these reports are bogus. The bike will do 65 easily in 4th gear, so I've got to think that it can add 25 mph to that with those last 2 gears and a bunch more revs.

-NoVector
5th and 6th are BOTH overdrive gears so that it can attain those speeds on road. That's why you're not feeling any power, why you're getting such great gas mileage and why it has a top speed of 90+ mph. At least that's what Cycle World said in their "first ride" report on this bike.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #168
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannda
5th and 6th are BOTH overdrive gears so that it can attain those speeds on road. That's why you're not feeling any power, why you're getting such great gas mileage and why it has a top speed of 90+ mph. At least that's what Cycle World said in their "first ride" report on this bike.
Actually, I do feel power in this bike (and a surprising amount for a 4-stroke, 250cc motor "detuned" for dual-sport duty), and don't agree that 5th is an overdrive gear. My bike pulls smartly in 5th. 6th....yeah, that one's there just to drop the revs for highway duty.

-NoVector
Old 05-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #169
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,001
Looks like a great bike. I was a little surprised that the power output is the same as my ancient TT250R Raid at 30hp, but maybe the WR's faster on the road.

2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #170
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Looks like a great bike. I was a little surprised that the power output is the same as my ancient TT250R Raid at 30hp, but maybe the WR's faster on the road.
That Raid is a nice bike.

Indeed, you would think with liquid cooling, high (relative) compression, fuel injection, etc., the WRR would put out a few more ponies, but I guess all that new emission stuff takes its toll. But, it's still a heck of a lot of fun to romp around on.

-NoVector
Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #171
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,001
Quote:
That Raid is a nice bike.
Thanks the 4.2 gallon tank, big headlight and wide seat make it a nice little bike to explore on. Shame the makers aren't offering modern 250 DPs with similar touring-friendly specs.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #172
Hannda

I sat on one of these (the "R") yesterday at Apex in ColoSpgs. VERY NICE! I was telling the salesman how impressed I was with all the great write ups on these and how popular they are. He was surprised - says he knew they were great bikes, but that there's been very little interest in them by customers coming into the shop. Says they have two and there've been no nibbles. I was surprised to hear that. Of course, we seem to be selling mostly hard core dirt bikes and sportbikes in ColoSpgs. I'm now officially saving my $$ to buy one.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #173
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
I sat on one of these (the "R") yesterday at Apex in ColoSpgs. VERY NICE! I was telling the salesman how impressed I was with all the great write ups on these and how popular they are. He was surprised - says he knew they were great bikes, but that there's been very little interest in them by customers coming into the shop. Says they have two and there've been no nibbles. I was surprised to hear that. Of course, we seem to be selling mostly hard core dirt bikes and sportbikes in ColoSpgs. I'm now officially saving my $$ to buy one.
I would have thought in your area, off-road bikes with FI would be a big hit due to the extreme elevation changes you can go through during a ride. Around here, many of the dealers I've been to are out of stock, and have been for a while now. Maybe it's because we have so few choices for truly off-road worthy bikes that can get a plate here in Kommifornia.

I guess the good news for you is if he's not moving them, then he's more likely to cut you a deal.....

-NoVector
Old 06-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #174
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Hey Dave, did he let you ride it? We rode over to Mountain Eagle's yesterday and I was going 64 in 5th on Santa Fe and the bike wasn't even revving hard.

You know you can always ride mine. It now has hand guards and will have a skid plate in a few days. BTW, someone posted that the stator puts out 350W, so you should have lenty of spare power for heated grips or other stuff.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #175
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

The nice man in the big brown truck showed up....

And brought me goodies from Eric at Wolfman Luggage!

Here's a pic of the wee blue beastie in "I'm goin' campin'" garb:

Goin' campin' a bit longer? No worries, Eric sells an add-on:

The bits are (all Wolfman):
- Explorer Lite tank bag
- Mini Beta rear bag
- Alpha-Beta duffel

I was a bit worried about 2 things prior to ordering. First, would the tank bag fit? I was mainly worried about the bars hitting the bag at full lock. Here's a pic that shows that you can scoot the bag back far enough so that's not an issue at all, and it doesn't interfere with me either:

The bars are just touching the bag at full lock. If I wanted to, I could move the bag back even farther, but for me, it works great just where it is.

Next worry was the tail bag. Would it be too big, too small, or just plain not work out? Again, no worries. The right end of the bag was the part I was worried most about, but it rests comfortably on the heat shield for the pipe, with nothing touching. There is one small gap between the shield and the fender/seat where the bag could possibly work its way down and touch the hot muffler, so I put a bit of foil tape across the gap, and covered it with ducktape. You can see it in the following pics:

I doubt it would have been a problem, but I'm the cautious type.

And there ya go! Next stop, campin' in the Sierras, with a bit of fishin' thrown in for good measure. Woohoo!

By the way, I have no affiliation with Eric or Wolfman, and I bought everything at retail, so no conspiracy theories please. I'm just a return customer of his, and find his stuff to be high quality at a reasonable price. Since I found a combo that fits neatly on the WRR, I thought I'd share so folks have an idea of what fits. Oh...and all this crap fits on the stock WRR, no extra racks, plates, or other mounting hardware needed.

-NoVector
Old 06-01-2008, 07:36 PM   #176
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
Very nice luggage setup NoVector. Now it's time to take that girl out and get her dirty.

Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #177
norshor1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
i bought the oem rack. it works nice.
Attached Images

norshor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:43 AM   #178
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,716
Got to have a ride on a WRR today. Really enjoyed it. It is winter here and it had been raining so the roads and tracks were very wet. We had a WR along as well and it was neat to be able to compare the two. The WR engine has more punch as expected and also the WRR had only 2km on the clock before we started. By the end of the ride I could feel it had loosened up a bit. The WRR carries its weight well and you dont notice its extra weight. I would need to do some work on seting up the rear suspension. To light in both comp. and rebound. that should only require some time to play with the clickers. Gearing it lower would be an advantage & would close up the gearbox ratios a bit. Other than that it only needs some protection bits and it would be sweet. Nice and QUIET to.
PS: Unfortunately the bike isnt mine, it is a demonstrator.

Phreaky Phil screwed with this post 01-18-2009 at 11:39 PM
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #179
Hannda

Quote:
I would have thought in your area, off-road bikes with FI would be a big hit due to the extreme elevation changes you can go through during a ride.
Yep, I'd have thought the same thing. I'm thinking it may still be too new for enough folks to know about it - or they're waiting to see if the general consensus is that it's worth the extra cost over similar bikes.

Hannda screwed with this post 06-06-2008 at 07:56 AM
Old 06-02-2008, 08:20 AM   #180
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado
Hey Dave, did he let you ride it? We rode over to Mountain Eagle's yesterday and I was going 64 in 5th on Santa Fe and the bike wasn't even revving hard.

You know you can always ride mine. It now has hand guards and will have a skid plate in a few days. BTW, someone posted that the stator puts out 350W, so you should have lenty of spare power for heated grips or other stuff.
Have you ridden it off road yet?