Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #18061
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby
Who are you sending your seat to?
What changes are you looking for with your suspension setup?

Nosey, aren't I?
Kawagumby, nah not nosey. It's what this thread's about, right?

I'm sending the seat to Seat Concepts. I coulda' bought a long nosed staper or used Sarah's method of putting the kit on with a regular stapler. No trim shops I've found that I can trust within 100 miles. And, SC does the install really cheap.

Although, I must admit I looked pretty stupid hooliganing it around my neighborhood this a.m. without the seat... had to get some more fun out of the autoclutch. I was literally giggling riding around my rural front yard trying avoid cactuses... cacti?

My main goals with suspension: 1.) I have horrifically rough washboard dirt roads the last few miles to or from my house. Presently, I feel the suspension packing down pretty badly on that. Also, on the steep hills, the power stops going to the ground when it's on really bad washboard.

2.) I had a really nice suspension setup from CD on my KLR. I'd like to see what "really nice" is on this super little bike.

Travis said that the piston velocities 'er whatever on washboards make a lot of friction and heat. It's definitely a challenge for any suspension. Well, even the CD shock on that KLR would pack down on the really bad stuff out here.

Point of reference: These roads are so poorly maintained they literally destroy cars trucks and SUV's. The county doubled our property taxes this year due to massive increases in home values ( yeah, right) but county maintained roads remain a disaster - or are probably worse than ever.

Getting back off my soap box, those are my main reasons.

I've ridden some rocky passes here and there. From what I'm told, they are about average difficulty but downright scary for a person with a very old and bad artificial hip just waitin' to go out forever. I was very happy with the suspension over the boulders but I've heard I'll like it better with a full tilt suspension.

I grok that I'm not advanced enough to really USE a total custom suspension build, but kinda' want it anyway.

Larry

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 03:12 PM
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #18062
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
BigFeet,

Well, I agree with suspension being paramount. For me and my blown-out back, suspension is everything (I'm sitting here with a back spasm from Wednesday's off-road fun). The stock WRR shock setup is not the best for sure, so I'd bet that you get your money's worth from the mods - especially since the actual components are fully dirt-worthy IMO.
Be sure and let us know how they turn out!

Tom

PS - you guys need to get a Prop 13 -type of initiative going to keep property taxes stable! (or change your laws if initiatives aren't allowed) Here, millions of people would have otherwise lost their homes due to tax increases following ridiculous real estate market trends...
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #18063
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
WR250R changes from '10 to '11

Someone mentioned the 2011 WRR/X models and I jumped onto Yamaha's web site to have a look. I found the 2011 WR250R Parts Catalog and my curiosity was piqued - how many parts changed from 2010 to 2011? After several hours of massaging the data, I came up with the "WR250R changes from '10 to '11" page. The link is on my WR250R Modifications page, right up near the top, along with the 08>09 and 09>10 page links.

I found 30 changes (4 were cosmetic/stickers), and nothing of much significance. Yamaha must be pretty happy about this bike remaining stable and not requiring many fixes.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #18064
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby
BigFeet,

Well, I agree with suspension being paramount. For me and my blown-out back, suspension is everything (I'm sitting here with a back spasm from Wednesday's off-road fun). The stock WRR shock setup is not the best for sure, so I'd bet that you get your money's worth from the mods - especially since the actual components are fully dirt-worthy IMO.
Be sure and let us know how they turn out!

Tom

PS - you guys need to get a Prop 13 -type of initiative going to keep property taxes stable! (or change your laws if initiatives aren't allowed) Here, millions of people would have otherwise lost their homes due to tax increases following ridiculous real estate market trends...
Tom,

I have 2 blown discs myself, so that'd be a good reason too! PM sent regarding other political issues. We have stuff on the ballot that could help, but it will be voted down.

Suffice to say: I vote my conscience every single time.

Larry
Old 10-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #18065
craftycoder
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,095
112 chain fits great with a 13/47. In fact, I like the fit better than the stock chain and 43. It was a little short for my bike. The current setup adjusts right in the middle of the blocks.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:29 PM   #18066
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
112 chain fits great with a 13/47. In fact, I like the fit better than the stock chain and 43. It was a little short for my bike. The current setup adjusts right in the middle of the blocks.
I was runnin' the 12/43 and liked the ratio but felt like it added some vibes.

Just ordered:

14t superlight front sprocket, 50t superlight rear sprocket. That rear sprocket is steel but looks kinda's swoopy. I admit it; I ordered it due to looks.

14/50 is about the same ratio as 12/43 if the gear ratio charts are right. Mainly, would like to drop some vibes at 70+. Also ordered another RK chain. This one in 118 links with gold color and it may be too long. Lookin' to see if I can move the rear wheel back a little and slow the low speed steering a bit. It's an experiment and if it botches I can easily shorten the chain. Not so easy to lengthen one, though!

Larry S.
-feet
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #18067
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
Someone mentioned the 2011 WRR/X models and I jumped onto Yamaha's web site to have a look. I found the 2011 WR250R Parts Catalog and my curiosity was piqued - how many parts changed from 2010 to 2011? After several hours of massaging the data, I came up with the "WR250R changes from '10 to '11" page. The link is on my WR250R Modifications page, right up near the top, along with the 08>09 and 09>10 page links.

I found 30 changes (4 were cosmetic/stickers), and nothing of much significance. Yamaha must be pretty happy about this bike remaining stable and not requiring many fixes.
Oh hell. Now my 08's obsolete 3 times over!

Seriously, thanks for the comparo.

L
Old 10-23-2010, 07:05 PM   #18068
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Cool light reading.

I really like the mods to the X.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM   #18069
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingAgin
Cool light reading.

I really like the mods to the X.
Thanks! Lovin' the bike.

L
Old 10-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #18070
BigFeet
Banned

The bike dropped about 150 pounds from the last one... I dropped about 130... I should be really fast!

Well, not so much. But it makes a difference!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #18071
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Oh hell. Now my 08's obsolete 3 times over!

Seriously, thanks for the comparo.

L
I wonder how much of that is only a part number change though. Just as a part can be changed without a change to part number, a part number can be changed without changing the part.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #18072
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223
I wonder how much of that is only a part number change though. Just as a part can be changed without a change to part number, a part number can be changed without changing the part.
Probably true.

Either way, my 08 rocks in my not so humble opinion. It's a keeper.

Until they come out with gold handlebars...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #18073
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
Probably true.

Either way, my 08 rocks in my not so humble opinion. It's a keeper.

Until they come out with gold handlebars...
Ya, these wr's seem awesome. I've been trying to decide if I want to forgo the plan to pick up an inexpensive older dualsport for my foray into the dirt and just grab a wrr/x instead. It just seems to be the cream of the crop.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #18074
BigFeet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223
Ya, these wr's seem awesome. I've been trying to decide if I want to forgo the plan to pick up an inexpensive older dualsport for my foray into the dirt and just grab a wrr/x instead. It just seems to be the cream of the crop.
Well, here's one idea:

I followed Craigslist for awhile. Found my 2008 WR250X in primo condition with 2500 miles on it for $2900 used down in Abilene. Means I had to drive a bit to get it...

I put it on a hitch carrier on the back of my 98 Buick LeSabre and brought it home. It's a really dumbass lookin' pic, that one!

Anyhow, point is, the WRR's were only a couple hundred more and that was in prime riding season...

I went with an X intentionally due to short crippled legs, but anyhow.

Expensive new; not so much used.

L
Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #18075
BigFeet
Banned

Some of the guys suggested using searchtempest.com to search many different Craigslist's at once. That's how I found mine.

I first was headed to another one; got halfway there when the guy called me and said they couldn't find the title. Diverted course to Abilene.

Plenty of used WRR's and X's in NE for sure! I saw 'em!

Some dealers really gouge for 'em NEW whereas some guys got 'em brand new for 5k or just under. Though that deal was a rarified winter kind of thing from fleabay.

L

BigFeet screwed with this post 10-23-2010 at 09:04 PM