Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #18571
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
WTF is going o here!! i go off on my own for a bit and come back to find us half way down page two with an unanswered question, just left hanging!!

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #18572
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo
looking for HD tube recommendations for stock wrr rims+trailwings. what are you using, and what size tubez(front and back)

thx!
dunno, i just go to my tire guy and say gimme a tube for the front, and he says HD? and i say ya, micheline ultra hd if you got em. he throws me a box and i pay the cute girl at the register, works like a charm

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #18573
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler
dunno, i just go to my tire guy and say gimme a tube for the front, and he says HD? and i say ya, micheline ultra hd if you got em. he throws me a box and i pay the cute girl at the register, works like a charm
unfortunately my dealer doesnt have a cute girl on the payroll in any building.... :-( its why i dont visit often
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #18574
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo
looking for HD tube recommendations for stock wrr rims+trailwings. what are you using, and what size tubez(front and back)

thx!
I haven't run them on my WRR yet, but I believe the best HD tube is sold by Moose. They're made in Germany and are thicker than anything else I've ever tried. Use them on all my YZ's, and eventually on the WRR as well.

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=7373

edit: NOTE, THESE ARE NOT DOT-RATED, AND ARE INTENDED FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY. "USE THEM AT YOUR OWN PERIL."

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 08:08 AM
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #18575
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley
any news on the bike ? , curious as to what happened

One of the red and white power wires to the starter switch had come loose out of the plug. The handlebars were recently changed, so maybe that played a part. Or it was just loose from the factory.

Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #18576
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
Don't feel bad.

I've already broken my right fib trying a stupid steep hillclimb with
the stock Trailwings.

Then I broke my right collarbone in an Extreme Stupid lowspeed/nospeed
tipover.

Both times alone in the middle of nowhere with no cell coverage and the
only option is to pick up the bike and ride out before the vultures get you.

Somehow I developed a natural feeling for letting go of the bike when I've gotten "over my head". I just push it away from me, and try to lay it down as safely as possible. Works most times when there is some warning of impending doom, and keeps me from getting pinned under the bike.

Example of a controlled get-off. Ran out of speed 3/4 of the way up a corkscrew hill. Pushed off the bike into the weeds to get clear of it and keep the bike from tumbling back down the hill. No damage except to my ego.

A couple of months ago I did get caught under the bike. I hit a metal drain pipe that was laying across the trail at about a 40 degree angle - just after coming out of a muddy section. The trail was too narrow to turn into the pipe at any kind of straight angle, and BANG - I was down and my ankle was pinned under the swing arm before I knew it. It was impossible to move my leg or lift the bike - any movement twisted my ankle. My trail buddy picked up the bike, and we continued on without further problems. I will not ride trails by myself just for times like this.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #18577
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog
I haven't run them on my WRR yet, but I believe the best HD tube is sold by Moose. They're made in Germany and are thicker than anything else I've ever tried. Use them on all my YZ's, and eventually on the WRR as well.

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=7373
The really heavy duty "enduro" tubes are made of a softer thick natural rubber compound that might not work for everyone. They tend to leak air much faster than the thin stock type, so you have to check tire pressure very often. They also tend to "ball" up in little round chunks both inside the tube and between the tire and tube. They'll do that even if you liberally splash talcum powder when mounting the tire, and tires at highway speeds can get hot, which makes matters worse. So, for some who do a lot of street, the really thick heavy tubes may not be the best option.
Malcolm Smith sells heavy duty tubes which are somewhere in between, about 2-3 times thicker than stock, but not as heavy as the super-thick "enduro" tubes. If the thickness isn't listed in the catalogue, the price tends to tell the thickness as the heaviest are the most expensive, the mediums in the middle, etc..
Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 AM   #18578
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby
...and tires at highway speeds can get hot, which makes matters worse...
When they get hot at highway speeds, they like to explode. Heavy duty (enduro in this context) tubes are NOT highway safe. Use them at your own peril.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #18579
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
When they get hot at highway speeds, they like to explode. Heavy duty (enduro in this context) tubes are NOT highway safe. Use them at your own peril.
i always hear this mentioned , but has anyone actually had this happen ? I have always run HD tubes , never have a problem.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #18580
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby
The really heavy duty "enduro" tubes are made of a softer thick natural rubber compound that might not work for everyone. They tend to leak air much faster than the thin stock type, so you have to check tire pressure very often. They also tend to "ball" up in little round chunks both inside the tube and between the tire and tube. They'll do that even if you liberally splash talcum powder when mounting the tire, and tires at highway speeds can get hot, which makes matters worse. So, for some who do a lot of street, the really thick heavy tubes may not be the best option.
You're right on every point, although the tendency to ball-up has been relatively minor in my experience, and I always use a little talc when installing the tube.

I should have been a bit more explicit in stating they're intended for off-road use. Assumed (never a good thing to do) that's what the OP was looking for...

edited my original post

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #18581
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
WR250R auxilary tank? I'm thinking about making a tank that I could throw on for longer trips. This would hold just about 2 gallons (if it weren't made of cardboard and duct tape).

It's just a mock-up to see if I like it enough to proceed. I dunno...

2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #18582
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
and how would you pipe the fuel into the main tank ?
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #18583
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,550
Quote:
Penis pump.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #18584
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
Quote:
Not sure about the plumbing exactly but I envision using a Facet electric fuel pump in the space where the Exup motor was. They are 18 oz and less than 3" x 3" x 3"

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...facetpumps.php
2013 Piaggio BV350 sold
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #18585
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
On the left is my eldest brother Tom. He got into motorcycles awhile later and still owns one. Computer tech hardware troubleshooter type now - some of it's on gov't contracted projects. Colo Spgs area.

In the middle is cousin Mike from Phoenix (at that time). I don't know if he ever got into motorcycles. He's a photographer in Las Vegas last I heard and grew up to be a tall skinny guy. 2 kids seemed to turn out well.

On the right is next older brother Ken. I don't think he ever owned a motorcycle but he suffered a wicked "honda rash" in a relatively high speed minibike wreck on a gravel road once. Ken's a former mechanical engineer and is now a manager of a group of 'em. His group participated in the build on the first solar array for the ISS, so I guess that gives away where he works. He's located in San Jose with wife and a very energetic son.

I'm the arrogant looking young pup on the bike (Larry). Present day, I'm early retired so what I do is try not to let motorcycles break the bank. Or my legs... I live in the mountains west of sleepy Walsenburg, CO. Widower, over it, no kids.

-feet
good stuff. I knew there had to be a gem in there somewhere. nothing like a high speed mini bike wreck on gravel to form a lasting memory. those things were deadly..

thanks for taking the time. classic 70's there.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote