Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #18601
lwm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac
Let me know if you want to go on a ride next weekend. Maybe Buzzard
And the trails up there and on up Ormsby and over the summit?

Top it off with a loop on my folks ranch in Browns Valley. Lots of untracked
dirt, creek crossings and a couple of hillclimbs.

Used to be some really good cowtrailing but the guy leasing it dosn't have
enough cows to keep the trails worked in so they're pretty overgrown.
I'll PM - sounds like fun.
lwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #18602
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFeet
I'm probably going to regret this, but here is a picture of me at age 15 on my Yamaha 250. It was my 3rd bike but my first real dirt bike. The picture is dated on the back July 12, 1975.

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me what year the bike is likely to be. I don't remember. It must have been fairly old as I got the bike "in a basket" for $75.

Observations: I'm actually thinner now, thank goodness. I no longer have any desire to wear red sneakers. (WTF??)

Regarding the bike:

Got it really cheap due to a dismantled transmission in a box. The trans project was a scary looking puzzle and it had overwhelmed the last guy and just about did the same to my Dad and me.

But we got it together and running.

Oil injection pump problems were common back then, but I didn't know that at the time. A bike shop told me that after I'd seized up the new piston a few times. Solution: Wire the oil injection pump cable controlled valve wide open and pre-mix in addition to that anyway. It fouled plugs like crazy after that for obvious reasons.

It seemed heavy to me at the time. Hard to compare over that many years. The brakes were lousy and the suspension not very good.

It never really ran right after being seized up a few times. But I still liked the bike a LOT.

Come to think of it, the worst "seizure" was at Bakelite Mesa hillclimbs and it was probably 105 degrees that day. I'll bet it was running pretty hot.

Anyhow, no disrespect intended to nightflight, but comparing stock to stock, my WR is way more fun than my old 250 was. Vast improvement. But then, the picture of my 60's or 70's 250 isn't of a pristine or restored 2 stroke bike, either.

It was just kind of a beater; what a kid could afford. Wish I still had it, though.

-feet
It's an early Yamaha DT1 (250 Enduro) with the lights stripped off. It is not a Yamaha 250MX. Note the ignition switch under the front of the gas tank. The 250MX only had a push button kill switch mounted on the bars.

Yamaha started selling the DT1 in the U.S. in 1968. It remained virtually unchanged except for paint color and striping until 1971. In 1972 there were a number of changes.

I worked in a Yamaha shop during the early 1970's. My first brand new motorcycle was a 1970 Yamaha HTI if anyone knows what that is?

I started racing in 1972 on a Yamaha 250 MX (silver tank yellow stripe). Later had one of the first Honda 125 Elsinors. It was space age compared to everything else at the time. After that a slew of Yamaha YZ125's and a TT500.

Those were some great scooters in their time.

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #18603
BigFeet
Banned

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader
It's an early Yamaha DT1 (250 Enduro) with the lights stripped off. It is not a Yamaha 250MX. Note the ignition switch under the front of the gas tank. The 250MX only had a push button kill switch mounted on the bars.

Yamaha started selling the DT1 in the U.S. in 1968. It remained virtually unchanged except for paint color and striping until 1971. In 1972 there were a number of changes.

I worked in a Yamaha shop during the early 1970's. My first brand new motorcycle was a 1970 Yamaha HTI if anyone knows what that is?

I started racing in 1972 on a Yamaha 250 MX (silver tank yellow stripe). Later had one of the first Honda 125 Elsinors. It was space age compared to everything else at the time. After that a slew of Yamaha YZ125's and a TT500.

Those were some great scooters in their time.

AK Greg
Greg,

Thanks for the info!

I really don't have a clue except this: From my clearly defective memory, I keep thinking 1968 so you may be right on track. But damned if I could prove it!

BTW, totally agree no motocross was involved. Back then, any old street bike with the headlight removed was listed in the ad as "enduro" and I think that's how this one was listed. Misnomer, but whaddya' gonna do?

Larry S.

BigFeet screwed with this post 11-23-2010 at 09:54 PM
BigFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:06 PM   #18604
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,117
Quote:
My first brand new motorcycle was a 1970 Yamaha HTI if anyone knows what that is?

I started racing in 1972 on a Yamaha 250 MX (silver tank yellow stripe).
you're getting old..the 72 was silver/red stripe, the 73 was silver/yellow stripe. the HT1 was 100 cc.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #18605
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Thanks

Thanks - I'll check it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livotlout
Hi Ed,

I understand that Boats ship to UK. Try :- http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ANK/parts.html

About 250 dollars, if I'm looking at the correct item?

Alec.
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #18606
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
you're getting old..the 72 was silver/red stripe, the 73 was silver/yellow stripe. the HT1 was 100 cc.
You are right. It was a 1973 250MX. It had the canister rear shocks. Marty Tripes won the "Super Bowl of Motocross" (L.A. Colosseum) on one (highly modified).

The 1970 HTI was a 90 Enduro, not 100 cc. In 1972 it went to 100cc.

AK
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #18607
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
You are right. It was a 1973 250MX. It had the canister rear shocks. Marty Tripes won the "Super Bowl of Motocross" (L.A. Colosseum) on one (highly modified).

The 1970 HTI was a 90 Enduro, not 100 cc. In 1972 it went to 100cc.

AK
1968 DT1 had silver cases, not black. Fun bike.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #18608
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill
1968 DT1 had silver cases, not black. Fun bike.

great photo! did the guy sitting on the 3HP minibike try the same jump next?
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #18609
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr
I just put an IMS 3.1 gallon on. I didn't want to go any bigger. I'm considering all options for more fuel at this point...I do already have a Kolpin 1.5 gallon and was THIS close to ordering the side mount for it. I still might.
I'm THIS close to selling my Emerson rotopax sidemount rack. I may not have a use for it any more though I sure do love this thing. I pulled it off last spring when I fitted the safari tank and bergs wolfman saddlebag rack. I could put it on the Mrs.'s WRR, but might end up putting a bigger gas tank on hers, too, to get the radiator protection (either safari tank or the 4+ gallon IMS tank when it comes out).

I ran the side rack for a summer and it was great having two extra gallons with when I still only had the stock tank. I used the 2 gallon rotopax with the dirtbagz brand saddlebag over it and also for a bit with the wolfman saddlebags over it (see below pic). The extra capacity saved me a few times, but mainly, it was just nice knowing that I didn't HAVE to plan my route around gas range. If I took a wrong turn or decided to explore an extra trail that wasn't on the planned route, I didn't have to worry. And I could remove the 2 gallon rotopax if I ever wanted to save on weight (though honestly, there were very few instances where it slowed me down much. It was rock solid and carried the weight well).

I plan on breaking out the aluminum polish and giving it a once over and will sell it with the rotopax bracket already attached. Might even sell it with the green 2 gallon rotopax, too, (they don't make green ones any more) since I seem to be getting more use out of my two 1 gallon rotopaxes than the 2 gallon any more. That would make it a one stop shop for someone wanting to buy it rather than having to source, and ship, from a bunch of different places. I'll have to go back and calculate what I have into it and what would be a fair price, to both me and the buyer, for all of it.

Here it is with the Wolfman bags. It was quite a bit narrower when I was running the Dirtbagz bags, but even with the below setup, there were only two or three times I was on trails narrow enough that it mattered. Most of the trails around here are 50".

Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #18610
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Later had one of the first Honda 125 Elsinors. It was space age compared to everything else at the time.
AK Greg

you mean one of these?

It made collecting these easy at 16 ...

now back to the WR250R/X
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #18611
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
you mean one of these?

now back to the WR250R/X
a stars and stripes helmet!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 PM   #18612
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55

Awesome photos...and I mean awesome. It's never the bike...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #18613
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,721
Punched Winter in the Face Ride

Couple of weekends ago me and my buddy on his DRZ went out for a really good ride. Weather was suppose to clear up around noon, sunshine and high in the low 50s. Well that never happened, it just got colder and colder.. We coined the ride "Punch Winter in the Face" as we kept to the route even though we were cold.. which wasn't going to stop us.

Highlights of the ride were neat trails, an old river dredger, twin tunnels, a huge windmill, a waterfall, forest roads, sliding on cow poo, ferry rides and running out of gas.. it was an adventure for sure!

Hope you enjoy it, Happy Thanksgiving!

Here's my Ride Report, mostly helmet cam footage!

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #18614
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,671
Tire Talk

I'm getting ready to replace tires yet again. At 13K miles I've had 3 trailwing rears & 2 fronts, and a pair of Dunlop 606. I'm looking for everyone's latest input.

I'll start with my observations:

Trailwing 301 and 302 (Stock equipment)

The good: Quiet on the street, reasonable wear (3500 R. & 7000 F.), predictable, good traction on street and dirt AS LONG AS IT'S DRY.

The bad: Never had a "dirt capable" tire that was worse in the wet (even slightly) dirt or mud. Just useless.

Dunlop D606

The good: Reasonably predictable in the dry dirt. Tractor-like grip in mud (when fairly new).

The bad: Quite noisy on the pavement. A bit more squishy for the first 20% of life compared to the TW's. Near the end of life the rear is more squared off than the TW, making a sharper transition on street corners. Very bad ramp wear on the front. (See below). Higher profile (Height) on rear requires possible suspension and gearing changes. Stiffer sidewall = hasrher ride & harder to mount.

My problem is that I really only need the great mud traction about 5% of the time. The rest of the time I find the Trailwing to be better.

What are your current views on these and other tires?

BluePill screwed with this post 11-25-2010 at 01:53 PM
BluePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #18615
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
mich. t63 are getting great reviews for the price.
http://www.americanmototire.com/cata...th=200_255_859
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote