Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #21286
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,309
I have a Safari 3.7L tank and recently I had a fuel starvation issue with my WR2. I found that the vacuum line that powers the secondary pump for the wings had come disconnected from the vacuum port on the engine. Was the issue fuel starvation or too much air intake thru the vacuum port that caused the bike to quit or neither. The fuel level in the tank was over the main fuel pump. The tank was about 3/4 full. I would appreciate anyone with some expertise on the subject filling me in. Thanks.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #21287
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
I'd say too much air intake is the culprit. When you do the
flapper mod you need to cap that vacuum port.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #21288
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Afghanistan called...they want New Mexico back...

After scouring Craigslist for a few weeks I found a WR250R. Minor problem was it was located 6 hours away in New Mexico, but I have no problem driving to get a good deal. As I drove through New Mexico I made these observations:
  • The only people that willingly live in NM are loonies, druggies, or cannibals...
  • Bring a minimum of 7 days of supplies and a large caliber rifle, in case of vehicle breakdown...the nearest help within walking distance is 50+ miles.
  • There's a reason they tested the nukes here - it already looks like a nuclear wasteland and the cumulative damage of all testing was 2 snakes and a rock.
  • After 6 hours of driving the most water I had seen was in the gatorade bottle in my cupholder.
  • Need to hide a body, a car, a sizeable city, or a large naval fleet? Put it in some back valley in New Mexico.
  • I have seen nicer towns in Iraq and Afghanistan, than some I saw in New Mexico.
  • If you had a penny for every pinon and juniper, you would be a trillionare...if you had a penny for every living creature east of Santa Fe you'd have $1.38.
  • The GPS kept giving me directions like "Turn right at the next dust devil", "Arriving at destination in 457 tumbleweeds"
That being said here it is a very beautiful place in that stark, barren way that deserts have. Pretty place to visit, not anywhere I'd want to live... here are some very crappy pictures documenting the journey:

Who wants to go riding? The previous owner flies F-22's for a living...does that mean my bike will go faster and have missile guidance capabilities???

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #21289
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
I just got back from southern arizona, kinda sounds like the same stuff....but the people were great!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #21290
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 358
You're exactly right. There is no good riding or scenery/ camping, etc in NM. It's all in CO and UT. No reason to even inquire about good riding as it is nil. Nobody even speaks english, the food is terrible and always covered in green or red gunk. No history worth hearing about.

I'm leaving as soon as I can....
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #21291
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,432
man you're harsh.
trinidad? you a man, women or the former?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
After scouring Craigslist for a few weeks I found a WR250R. Minor problem was it was located 6 hours away in New Mexico, but I have no problem driving to get a good deal. As I drove through New Mexico I made these observations:
  • The only people that willingly live in NM are loonies, druggies, or cannibals...
  • Bring a minimum of 7 days of supplies and a large caliber rifle, in case of vehicle breakdown...the nearest help within walking distance is 50+ miles.
  • There's a reason they tested the nukes here - it already looks like a nuclear wasteland and the cumulative damage of all testing was 2 snakes and a rock.
  • After 6 hours of driving the most water I had seen was in the gatorade bottle in my cupholder.
  • Need to hide a body, a car, a sizeable city, or a large naval fleet? Put it in some back valley in New Mexico.
  • I have seen nicer towns in Iraq and Afghanistan, than some I saw in New Mexico.
  • If you had a penny for every pinon and juniper, you would be a trillionare...if you had a penny for every living creature east of Santa Fe you'd have $1.38.
  • The GPS kept giving me directions like "Turn right at the next dust devil", "Arriving at destination in 457 tumbleweeds"
That being said here it is a very beautiful place in that stark, barren way that deserts have. Pretty place to visit, not anywhere I'd want to live... here are some very crappy pictures documenting the journey:

Who wants to go riding? The previous owner flies F-22's for a living...does that mean my bike will go faster and have missile guidance capabilities???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #21292
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,381
OK, rear brake pads.

Is it possible even to get the spacers in the rear on the wrong sides? It doesn't appear so...

But There is virtually NO space for the inner pad. The old pad is worn to nothing and it barely slides out.

Just brain farting big time. Any idea if the new stock inner pad is super thin ?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #21293
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,768
it isn't. It is tighter to the bike than any other luggage. I had corrado make a tent pack with loops that pass through the center GL straps. It was the best setup by far.

Besides, having a big single compartment means that you can share the space rather than be missing a little room to stuff that widget in the left or right bag. Seems I'm always missing a little space when running side bags. That's why i switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw View Post
I'm looking for bags and debating the wolfman/coyote question. I keep hearing it is difficult to get on and off the bike with the coyote- especially in compromised situations. Any thoughts. Both seem to be rock solid products.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #21294
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Ha, no it's not as bad as I make it out I was just pokin' at the NM folk It looks like an awesome place to ride and the weather is great. My wife and I have done a lot of camping around Red River, NM and it's a really beautiful area. The ride down from Trinidad, CO to Taos, NM is excellent as well.

My initial impression of the WR250R compared to my recently sold '02 KLR 650 to maybe help out someone else on the fence.

This bike really goes - just when I thought it was out of steam at an indicated 80mph did I realize I hadn't even shifted into 6th gear yet. Everywhere else just when I thought it was about time to shift, did I find that high end power band where the afterburners kick in. With my KLR I usually threw it into 5th gear around 45-50mph and that was the end of the line for gearing

The weight and balance of the bike is soooo much nicer than the KLR. I can actually make this bike go where I want it to go instead of feeling like the bike is steering and I'm just along for the ride. I easily unloaded the bike out of my truck by myself - with the KLR I felt like it was going to fall over on me whenever I was pushing it around...

It lacks in wind protection but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It aint a Goldwing after all...

Fuel range is going to be a big negative for me, but that can be easily fixed a number of ways.

With the WR250R it feels more like a nice mountain bike to me than a big heavy motorcycle...

FWIW My $0.02

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #21295
Steez
USMC Infantry

Oddometer: 203
Just thought I'd show you where I live:

This is Signal Mountain in Chattanooga. The buildings to the right in the backround are downtown (where I live), and these trails are probably 15 miles from downtown. Nice little getaway after classes and work.

For some reason I fell 6 times today... The ground was hardpacked, wet clay, so I'm thinking that had something to do with it. Sad thing is I 1) cracked my front fender against a tree and 2)punctured my left gas tank cover. Oh well...If I was worried about resell value I wouldn't have gotten a dual sport haha.

Also, now my tank covers aren't flush with the tank...I would worry, but I'm in line for a new 4.5 gal tank!

Tomorrow I ride Python's gps tracks to Tellico to (hopefully) pick up some Wolfman Enduro saddle bags and a larger rear! If the weather is good I'll try and get some photos
Old 04-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #21296
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaw View Post
I'm looking for bags and debating the wolfman/coyote question. I keep hearing it is difficult to get on and off the bike with the coyote- especially in compromised situations. Any thoughts. Both seem to be rock solid products.

I went with the Wolfman Expedition dry saddlebags and rack for this very reason. I dislike having anything on the tail rack or up high unless I need to. On a day-to-day basis, for me, it is annoying trying to get my leg over anything on the rear. When I have to, that is where I put my tent, sleeping pad, etc. when on bigger trips, but I don't want it there daily or for day trips. I rarely take off the Wolfman bags even when I don't need them. They don't budge even when loaded down and riding fast on gnarly trails.

I'm not old and not unfit, but with the stock height adjuster on high, taller rear tire, and when wearing my motoport pants (or any pants that don't stretch much), it is just plain harder to kick ones leg over something on the tail whether using the round about kick or the frontwards kick. It gets even more annoying when mounting and unmounting while offroad riding.

So for me, no Giant Loop bags even though I really love them. They just don't work for what I want. I've been using my Wolfman Exp. dry saddlebags on a daily basis since they made the racks for the WRR and wouldn't go with any other system. I moved my dirtbagz to my wife's WRR. Good bags, but not water/rain proof (I ride rain or shine) or dust proof, hence the switch to wolman saddlebags.

Chadx screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 05:10 PM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #21297
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
OK, rear brake pads.

Is it possible even to get the spacers in the rear on the wrong sides? It doesn't appear so...

But There is virtually NO space for the inner pad. The old pad is worn to nothing and it barely slides out.

Just brain farting big time. Any idea if the new stock inner pad is super thin ?
Did you push the brake piston back in? Just stick a flat blade screwdriver in between the old pad and the rotor and gently pry it so it slides back in a bit. You've got to do that to make room when replacing pads on disk brakes.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #21298
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,381
Yes, did that, there is plenty of room for the outer pad because of this, but the space for the inner pad doesnt increase when you do that...I know Im prolly showin my ass here...anyway, inner pad, no room, piston creating plenty of room for the outer pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Did you push the brake piston back in? Just stick a flat blade screwdriver in between the old pad and the rotor and gently pry it so it slides back in a bit. You've got to do that to make room when replacing pads on disk brakes.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #21299
YamRZ350
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
The caliper rides on slide pins. You should be able to push the caliper body towards the rotor and it will give you the space needed.

Unless the pins are siezed.
YamRZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #21300
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Yes, did that, there is plenty of room for the outer pad because of this, but the space for the inner pad doesnt increase when you do that...I know Im prolly showin my ass here...anyway, inner pad, no room, piston creating plenty of room for the outer pad

The whole caliper assembly slides laterally on two pins located at the caliper bottom...(you can see the rubber boots that keep the dirt out)....it sounds like you just need to move it on those pins slightly - you should be able to slide it in or out enough by hand to position it properly so you can insert the pads.

oops....RZ350 already got it right....