ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #21436
Chadx
Off the road again..
 
Chadx's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Since there are different bars(fat bars) and different bends, how do the hand guards compensate for the mounting differences??? And different widths of the bars??
The slotted handguard end helps a bit, but most installations are not perfectly lined up. There would just be no way because of all the different makes and models of bikes and, as you mention, different bar bends (rise, pullback, and width).

The answer is you bend/adjust them as you install. Some setups are close enough that you can bolt everything up (loosely) to get all the bolts started, then draw everything together. To get a perfect fit, though, I have found it best to slightly bend them in specific spots. Note that you don't want to bend them right across any of the threaded holes, like hand shield holes, because they might deform the holes/threads too much to thread them.

As to method, no heat necessary (or recommended). I used my buddies vice. He has it set up to go in a 2" receive on his work bench, rather than bolted, so he can move it out the of way. I mounted it in my truck's hitch receiver to get it nice and low so I could put some weight into it. When clamping, use a cloth or rubber to keep the vice teeth from marring the aluminum hand guards (especially if you have black anodized hand guards!). Plus you want to use some sense as to where you position the guards in the vice to ensure you create the bend where you want it. I used a combination of body weight and a dead blow mallet. Go a little at a time, check it, then bend a bit more. Perfection!
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #21437
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,161
It's that time again........

CORE (aka "me" ) will be taking 53 folks to the Bar 10 Ranch/Grand Canyon this weekend......heading back again in Oct if you're so inclined

That's one of my daughters, Caitlynn, sitting up on the rock......fun/family ride.....great trails/scenery......(Ortlieb Saddlebags - 43L - BIG)

__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #21438
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Oddometer: 377
No heat on aluminum!!!! (HDB guards)

No, no, no!! Paul at HDB says in no way use heat. That was my first thought, but Chad and Paul set me straight.

Just a good vice like Chad mentions and a dead blow hammer. Believe me that it isn't easy to bend these babies. It will take some work depending on how much you need to adjust, but don't use the torch! But once they are set, these things aint bending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Ahhhh, I see....you take the torch to 'em, not big heat--but enough--there was a post with the spot to heat them. I had to heat my cycras...
jimrobinette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #21439
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Oddometer: 377
CORE/Bar 10 ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
CORE (aka "me" ) will be taking 53 folks to the Bar 10 Ranch/Grand Canyon this weekend......heading back again in Oct if you're so inclined.
And I am one of those 53!!!

Did this ride last year with Chris, and am leaving in the morning to do it again! Awesome ride, and I encourage any of you to sign up for the next one. Chris puts on some outstanding adventures and this has to be one of his best. The views are some of the most incredible you will find anywhere.

From last year (You can ride you bike to a couple hundred of yards from this point):

jimrobinette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #21440
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure
 
Rosie!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Oddometer: 435
Question WRR becoming more difficult to start

I've got an '08 WRR that I've had for almost a year, and it's always been really easy to start, but over the last couple of weeks it's been cranking over for a while before it gets going (or it doesn't start at all )
Initial diagnosis has got me this far:
  • Charging up the battery hasn't helped. The bike is cranking over a the same speed as it always has, so I don't think its a battery problem.
  • The fuel pump sounds the same as it always has, and when you turn the bike on it runs for about the same length of time as it always has. My frame number isn't in the batch that are known to have a dud fuel pump.
  • It shouldn't be a problem with the kill switch, because the bike won't crank if the kill switch is on. And switching the kill switch off then on doesn't help.
  • The engine light hasn't come on
Anyone else had a similar problem before? Any ideas of things I should be checking?

We're going into winter here, but it started fine all of last winter, so I don't think that would be the problem.
I'll have a look at the spark plug over the weekend, and maybe put in a new one as a precaution.

It usually starts eventually (but not always ), and once it's going it runs fine.
__________________
The road to hell is paved...
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #21441
AKASY
Noob
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NM
Oddometer: 2,121
Starting

Checked the air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
I've got an '08 WRR that I've had for almost a year, and it's always been really easy to start, but over the last couple of weeks it's been cranking over for a while before it gets going (or it doesn't start at all )

Initial diagnosis has got me this far:
  • Charging up the battery hasn't helped. The bike is cranking over a the same speed as it always has, so I don't think its a battery problem.
  • The fuel pump sounds the same as it always has, and when you turn the bike on it runs for about the same length of time as it always has. My frame number isn't in the batch that are known to have a dud fuel pump.
  • It shouldn't be a problem with the kill switch, because the bike won't crank if the kill switch is on. And switching the kill switch off then on doesn't help.
  • The engine light hasn't come on
Anyone else had a similar problem before? Any ideas of things I should be checking?

We're going into winter here, but it started fine all of last winter, so I don't think that would be the problem.
I'll have a look at the spark plug over the weekend, and maybe put in a new one as a precaution.

It usually starts eventually (but not always ), and once it's going it runs fine.
__________________
Don't make the mistake of believing everything you think.
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #21442
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure
 
Rosie!'s Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Rotorua, NZ
Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Checked the air filter?
I checked it at the last service (10,000km), and it looked ok, so I never got around to cleaning it
I will give it a clean over the weekend.
__________________
The road to hell is paved...
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #21443
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Will I regret selling the WR?
Mine will probably be gone by the end of the year. Miss it? Sure. But the time always comes for something different, and frankly its closer to the XT in your sig than the G450X you're getting.
__________________
"We wish your trail a long one" - Darlene "Sid" Dowd ~ Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
2008 Yamaha WR250X
Eastern TAT 8/2009 ~MD-Key West-Oklahoma 4/2011~Maryland to Alaska 3/2012
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #21444
mcwbyu82
WRR'er
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Utah Valley
Oddometer: 158
Just so you know . . .

Had to get the windshield replaced on my car today. Just so happens that the glass shop is right across the street from the local Yam/Suz/KTM dealer. So I headed over to kill some time.
They had a new 09' WRX on the floor with 140 test ride miles on it. After wandering around for a while a worker, who appeared to be a manager if not owner, asked me if I needed any help, so just out of curiosity I asked how much they were asking for the WRX.
After going in the back to check he came back and said $5290.
I responded by saying "thats an 09' right?"
He said yes and then proceeded to tell me that Yamaha didn't make WRR's or WRX's in 2010 but then brought them back for 2011.

I asked if he was sure and he assured me he was.

So just so all you 2010 owners know, your bikes arent real. Figments of your imagination
mcwbyu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #21445
freetors
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Collinsville, OK
Oddometer: 591
Supension setup help? My new 08 WRR with about 150 miles on it rides very rough on bumps, even on pavement. The frost heaves are beating me up. The forks seem way too stiff. I have the compression damping turned all the way soft. The rear shock has the recommended rebound aadjuster cranked all the way up. I've tried aligning the forks, bleeding them, but they are still uncomfortably harsh. It doesnt seem like they sag enough either. I weigh 145 pounds with all my gear on so I might be on the light side for the springs. Should I go to a softer springs, or a lighter oil or what?

Also my bike has very snatchy fueling transitions between on and off throttle. I dont really want to go out and buy a power commander or anything like that yet. I know some other yamaha models have a fuel cut eliminator available for them. Is there anything like that for this awesome bike?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #21446
MoBill
Smiles when says dat
 
MoBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
No, no, no!! Paul at HDB says in no way use heat. That was my first thought, but Chad and Paul set me straight.

Just a good vice like Chad mentions and a dead blow hammer. Believe me that it isn't easy to bend these babies. It will take some work depending on how much you need to adjust, but don't use the torch! But once they are set, these things aint bending.


Easy jim. I have cycras....basher has a cool vid somewhere of it...did it myself, worked a charm. Nothing bad happened. "No, No, No" Made my night.

Good on ya...good catch for the HDBs

MoBill screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 08:11 PM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #21447
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: California
Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Supension setup help? My new 08 WRR with about 150 miles on it rides very rough on bumps, even on pavement. The frost heaves are beating me up. The forks seem way too stiff. I have the compression damping turned all the way soft. The rear shock has the recommended rebound aadjuster cranked all the way up. I've tried aligning the forks, bleeding them, but they are still uncomfortably harsh. It doesnt seem like they sag enough either. I weigh 145 pounds with all my gear on so I might be on the light side for the springs. Should I go to a softer springs, or a lighter oil or what?

Also my bike has very snatchy fueling transitions between on and off throttle. I dont really want to go out and buy a power commander or anything like that yet. I know some other yamaha models have a fuel cut eliminator available for them. Is there anything like that for this awesome bike?
The bike is sprung for about a 185 lb rider... I weigh 165 and went for the lighter spring on the rear - it works much better now both on and off-road (I also had the shock revalved, but the spring difference is really apparent also). The front rate is still OK for my riding style. At 145 lbs, you need lighter springs both ends, IMO. If you are riding in cold weather, you might want to consider lighter oil too - but I'd change the springs out first and see if you get enough action before going to that next step.

I can't give you any help on the throttle, as mine works very smoothly.
__________________
the true tragedy of our times -
human overpopulation is destroying the 2-stroke
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #21448
greer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Glasgow, Kentucky
Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post

Also my bike has very snatchy fueling transitions between on and off throttle. I dont really want to go out and buy a power commander or anything like that yet. I know some other yamaha models have a fuel cut eliminator available for them. Is there anything like that for this awesome bike?

Make sure you've taken the slop out of the drive chain and throttle cables.

Sarah
__________________
'08 DR650; '06 XL883 Standard
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #21449
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer
 
GotMojo?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post

Also my bike has very snatchy fueling transitions between on and off throttle. I dont really want to go out and buy a power commander or anything like that yet. I know some other yamaha models have a fuel cut eliminator available for them. Is there anything like that for this awesome bike?
My WR250X does this as well. Very annoying at slow speeds. I've done the exhaust/filter/fuel controller mods and that helped a little, but the slow speed jerkiness is still there. Chain is adjusted properly, as is the throttle cable. Always wondered why my bike does this, yet some WRR/X owners say there's doesn't.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #21450
freetors
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Collinsville, OK
Oddometer: 591
Ok another question- how easy is it to disassemble the forks enough to change the springs? Ive done it before on a set of GSXR forks and they are easy peasy once you've got a spring compressor. Is their a guide out their?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014