User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #21436
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,206
It's that time again........

CORE (aka "me" ) will be taking 53 folks to the Bar 10 Ranch/Grand Canyon this weekend......heading back again in Oct if you're so inclined

That's one of my daughters, Caitlynn, sitting up on the rock......fun/family ride.....great trails/scenery......(Ortlieb Saddlebags - 43L - BIG)

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #21437
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
No heat on aluminum!!!! (HDB guards)

No, no, no!! Paul at HDB says in no way use heat. That was my first thought, but Chad and Paul set me straight.

Just a good vice like Chad mentions and a dead blow hammer. Believe me that it isn't easy to bend these babies. It will take some work depending on how much you need to adjust, but don't use the torch! But once they are set, these things aint bending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Ahhhh, I see....you take the torch to 'em, not big heat--but enough--there was a post with the spot to heat them. I had to heat my cycras...
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #21438
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
CORE/Bar 10 ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
CORE (aka "me" ) will be taking 53 folks to the Bar 10 Ranch/Grand Canyon this weekend......heading back again in Oct if you're so inclined.
And I am one of those 53!!!

Did this ride last year with Chris, and am leaving in the morning to do it again! Awesome ride, and I encourage any of you to sign up for the next one. Chris puts on some outstanding adventures and this has to be one of his best. The views are some of the most incredible you will find anywhere.

From last year (You can ride you bike to a couple hundred of yards from this point):

jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #21439
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Question WRR becoming more difficult to start

I've got an '08 WRR that I've had for almost a year, and it's always been really easy to start, but over the last couple of weeks it's been cranking over for a while before it gets going (or it doesn't start at all )
Initial diagnosis has got me this far:
  • Charging up the battery hasn't helped. The bike is cranking over a the same speed as it always has, so I don't think its a battery problem.
  • The fuel pump sounds the same as it always has, and when you turn the bike on it runs for about the same length of time as it always has. My frame number isn't in the batch that are known to have a dud fuel pump.
  • It shouldn't be a problem with the kill switch, because the bike won't crank if the kill switch is on. And switching the kill switch off then on doesn't help.
  • The engine light hasn't come on
Anyone else had a similar problem before? Any ideas of things I should be checking?

We're going into winter here, but it started fine all of last winter, so I don't think that would be the problem.
I'll have a look at the spark plug over the weekend, and maybe put in a new one as a precaution.

It usually starts eventually (but not always ), and once it's going it runs fine.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #21440
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,160
Starting

Checked the air filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
I've got an '08 WRR that I've had for almost a year, and it's always been really easy to start, but over the last couple of weeks it's been cranking over for a while before it gets going (or it doesn't start at all )

Initial diagnosis has got me this far:
  • Charging up the battery hasn't helped. The bike is cranking over a the same speed as it always has, so I don't think its a battery problem.
  • The fuel pump sounds the same as it always has, and when you turn the bike on it runs for about the same length of time as it always has. My frame number isn't in the batch that are known to have a dud fuel pump.
  • It shouldn't be a problem with the kill switch, because the bike won't crank if the kill switch is on. And switching the kill switch off then on doesn't help.
  • The engine light hasn't come on
Anyone else had a similar problem before? Any ideas of things I should be checking?

We're going into winter here, but it started fine all of last winter, so I don't think that would be the problem.
I'll have a look at the spark plug over the weekend, and maybe put in a new one as a precaution.

It usually starts eventually (but not always ), and once it's going it runs fine.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #21441
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Checked the air filter?
I checked it at the last service (10,000km), and it looked ok, so I never got around to cleaning it
I will give it a clean over the weekend.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #21442
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Will I regret selling the WR?
Mine will probably be gone by the end of the year. Miss it? Sure. But the time always comes for something different, and frankly its closer to the XT in your sig than the G450X you're getting.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #21443
mcwbyu82
WRR'er

Oddometer: 158
Just so you know . . .

Had to get the windshield replaced on my car today. Just so happens that the glass shop is right across the street from the local Yam/Suz/KTM dealer. So I headed over to kill some time.
They had a new 09' WRX on the floor with 140 test ride miles on it. After wandering around for a while a worker, who appeared to be a manager if not owner, asked me if I needed any help, so just out of curiosity I asked how much they were asking for the WRX.
After going in the back to check he came back and said $5290.
I responded by saying "thats an 09' right?"
He said yes and then proceeded to tell me that Yamaha didn't make WRR's or WRX's in 2010 but then brought them back for 2011.

I asked if he was sure and he assured me he was.

So just so all you 2010 owners know, your bikes arent real. Figments of your imagination
mcwbyu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #21444
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Supension setup help? My new 08 WRR with about 150 miles on it rides very rough on bumps, even on pavement. The frost heaves are beating me up. The forks seem way too stiff. I have the compression damping turned all the way soft. The rear shock has the recommended rebound aadjuster cranked all the way up. I've tried aligning the forks, bleeding them, but they are still uncomfortably harsh. It doesnt seem like they sag enough either. I weigh 145 pounds with all my gear on so I might be on the light side for the springs. Should I go to a softer springs, or a lighter oil or what?

Also my bike has very snatchy fueling transitions between on and off throttle. I dont really want to go out and buy a power commander or anything like that yet. I know some other yamaha models have a fuel cut eliminator available for them. Is there anything like that for this awesome bike?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #21445
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
No, no, no!! Paul at HDB says in no way use heat. That was my first thought, but Chad and Paul set me straight.

Just a good vice like Chad mentions and a dead blow hammer. Believe me that it isn't easy to bend these babies. It will take some work depending on how much you need to adjust, but don't use the torch! But once they are set, these things aint bending.

Easy jim. I have cycras....basher has a cool vid somewhere of it...did it myself, worked a charm. Nothing bad happened. "No, No, No" Made my night.

Good on ya...good catch for the HDBs

MoBill screwed with this post 04-28-2011 at 08:11 PM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:10 PM   #21446
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Supension setup help? My new 08 WRR with about 150 miles on it rides very rough on bumps, even on pavement. The frost heaves are beating me up. The forks seem way too stiff. I have the compression damping turned all the way soft. The rear shock has the recommended rebound aadjuster cranked all the way up. I've tried aligning the forks, bleeding them, but they are still uncomfortably harsh. It doesnt seem like they sag enough either. I weigh 145 pounds with all my gear on so I might be on the light side for the springs. Should I go to a softer springs, or a lighter oil or what?

Also my bike has very snatchy fueling transitions between on and off throttle. I dont really want to go out and buy a power commander or anything like that yet. I know some other yamaha models have a fuel cut eliminator available for them. Is there anything like that for this awesome bike?
The bike is sprung for about a 185 lb rider... I weigh 165 and went for the lighter spring on the rear - it works much better now both on and off-road (I also had the shock revalved, but the spring difference is really apparent also). The front rate is still OK for my riding style. At 145 lbs, you need lighter springs both ends, IMO. If you are riding in cold weather, you might want to consider lighter oil too - but I'd change the springs out first and see if you get enough action before going to that next step.

I can't give you any help on the throttle, as mine works very smoothly.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:33 AM   #21447
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:

Make sure you've taken the slop out of the drive chain and throttle cables.

Sarah
Old 04-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #21448
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:

My WR250X does this as well. Very annoying at slow speeds. I've done the exhaust/filter/fuel controller mods and that helped a little, but the slow speed jerkiness is still there. Chain is adjusted properly, as is the throttle cable. Always wondered why my bike does this, yet some WRR/X owners say there's doesn't.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #21449
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Ok another question- how easy is it to disassemble the forks enough to change the springs? Ive done it before on a set of GSXR forks and they are easy peasy once you've got a spring compressor. Is their a guide out their?
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #21450
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Do you have the online manual?

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2...service-manual

Sarah