User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #211
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,339
350W @ 5000 rpm.

Cheers. Thanks for that one Hannda. Now I just need to find out the draw of the FI and other running gear to work out what's left over for paw-warmers.

Boy, I wish my 640 Adventure pumped that much out.
GodSilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #212
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
350W @ 5000 rpm.

Cheers. Thanks for that one Hannda. Now I just need to find out the draw of the FI and other running gear to work out what's left over for paw-warmers.

You're welcome. You should go back through this thread ~ I'm fairly certain I saw where someone posted that it only used 100w as "overhead" and the rest was up for grabs. (Go to search this thread and use "overhead" as your search term.)

But you'll want to check on that before wiring in the travel fridge and microwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
350W @ 5000 rpm.
Boy, I wish Hannda's KLR pumped out that much juice.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #213
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth!
off of 4 in calaveras? I am from tuolumne county the next county south, there are quite a few places on 108 that are nice for camping/fishing.
Yep, that's the place!

Thanks for the tip. I checked Topo, and it looks like the track I was on goes over the ridge all the way to 108. There must be some good fishin' and campin' between the two. I just might have to check that out....real soon....

By the way, have they closed any of the trails in Tuolumne like they did up in Amador (Eldorado Nat'l Forest, linky), or can you ride on most of them?

-NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #214
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs2k
Would I be able to use this bike for hare scrambles/enduros? I would like to up grade dp bikes from my crf230L to the yammie but would like to do some races. I'm not expecting to win, just finish....
Well, I don't want to say you "can't", but unless you really want a dualsport (because, for example, you live in Kommifornia and unless it comes from the dealer with a plate, the odds of getting one are pretty slim, and getting slimmer), why not look at something that's designed to go racing? There are lots of options out there if you don't want/need the plate.

Of course, having said that, it looks like Kenji Suzuki (test rider for Yamaha...go figure, dude named Suzuki testing Yamahas....) has been riding around on something called a "ISDE version" of a WR250R (linky ). No clue what's been done to that bike to make it into a "ISDE version", but it looks like Kenji is having a blast on the thing in the woods.

-NoVector
Old 06-10-2008, 04:06 PM   #215
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Well, I don't want to say you "can't", but unless you really want a dualsport (because, for example, you live in Kommifornia and unless it comes from the dealer with a plate, the odds of getting one are pretty slim, and getting slimmer), why not look at something that's designed to go racing? There are lots of options out there if you don't want/need the plate.

Of course, having said that, it looks like Kenji Suzuki (test rider for Yamaha...go figure, dude named Suzuki testing Yamahas....) has been riding around on something called a "ISDE version" of a WR250R (linky ). No clue what's been done to that bike to make it into a "ISDE version", but it looks like Kenji is having a blast on the thing in the woods.

-NoVector
OK, I did a bit more Googling and answered my own question. It looks like the only things done to the bike were the removal of some of the street bits and an aftermarket exhaust was fitted...and the damn thing placed 33rd on day 6 of the rally in Chile! Linky

I take it back Bulldogs2k....if a basically stock WRR can survive the ISDE, you can do pretty much anything you want with it.

-NoVector
Old 06-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #216
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Of course, having said that, it looks like Kenji Suzuki (test rider for Yamaha...go figure, dude named Suzuki testing Yamahas....)
-NoVector

I noticed that too, and one of the camera guys or producers last name was....Kawasaki.

Funny to us but I guess it may be as common as Smith or Jones or something.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #217
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
OK, I did a bit more Googling and answered my own question. It looks like the only things done to the bike were the removal of some of the street bits and an aftermarket exhaust was fitted...and the damn thing placed 33rd on day 6 of the rally in Chile! Linky

I take it back Bulldogs2k....if a basically stock WRR can survive the ISDE, you can do pretty much anything you want with it.

-NoVector
Hehehe..... Sounds like it can be done with some "off-road" modifications. Now, I have to wait until used ones are available for a good price!
A
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #218
sloth!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Yep, that's the place!

Thanks for the tip. I checked Topo, and it looks like the track I was on goes over the ridge all the way to 108. There must be some good fishin' and campin' between the two. I just might have to check that out....real soon....

By the way, have they closed any of the trails in Tuolumne like they did up in Amador (Eldorado Nat'l Forest, linky), or can you ride on most of them?

-NoVector
SNF(Tuolumne county) is going thru the EIS now and will possibly lose hundreds of miles of dirt roads, just like TNF and ENF. You can find the new proposed road closure map on the FS website for Stanislaus national forest.

Talking of closures, it has really struck me as unfortunate that even here on forums that promote riding dirt roads/ohv trails, that I see posts that are aligned with the anti access crowd.
sloth! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #219
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth!
SNF(Tuolumne county) is going thru the EIS now and will possibly lose hundreds of miles of dirt roads, just like TNF and ENF. You can find the new proposed road closure map on the FS website for Stanislaus national forest.

Talking of closures, it has really struck me as unfortunate that even here on forums that promote riding dirt roads/ohv trails, that I see posts that are aligned with the anti access crowd.
Yikes! I just went onto the DNF web site and took a close look at the "Proposed Changes" for the area I was just in (and where I took those pics), and it's all scheduled to be closed! I saw a bunch of summer cabins down there. How are folks going to get to/from them, or are they going to be grandfathered in and the access will become private?

Man, that's gonna suck if it goes through....

-NoVector
Old 06-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #220
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
How are folks going to get to/from them, or are they going to be grandfathered in and the access will become private?

Man, that's gonna suck if it goes through....

-NoVector
There are places like that in the Everglades. Within the actual park boundaries.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #221
AgaveChaser
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Questions

Well I am certainly giving this bike a look but I have a couple questions with regards to the new EFI. 1.) If an aftermarket tank is desired, are there issues with the fuel pump being in the tank, or is the fuel pump even in the tank? 2.) If the battery fails does the bike leave you straded or can you bump-start it? 3.) My local dealer has one in stalk and is asking the retail price of $5899, is this the going price and what could I expect to get'em down to for an OTD price?

Thanks,

AC
AgaveChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:00 PM   #222
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgaveChaser
Well I am certainly giving this bike a look but I have a couple questions with regards to the new EFI. 1.) If an aftermarket tank is desired, are there issues with the fuel pump being in the tank, or is the fuel pump even in the tank? 2.) If the battery fails does the bike leave you straded or can you bump-start it? 3.) My local dealer has one in stalk and is asking the retail price of $5899, is this the going price and what could I expect to get'em down to for an OTD price?

Thanks,

AC
I'll do the best I can with the answers....

1) Aftermarket tanks are in the works from several sources, and they know all about the EFI and fuel pump, so they've taken that into consideration. There is a thread on Thumpertalk that lists all available mods for this bike in the Yamaha dualsport category, so you may want to check that out.

2) This has been asked many times, but so far, I've not seen anyone provide a definitive answer. The general consensus is you can bump start it since the spinning mag should be able to provide sufficient juice to run the fuel pump, ECU, EFI, and provide a spark.

3) OTD price depends on where you live, so I'll just give my 2 cents based on the base price of the bike, 'cause everyone has to pay something extra (the tax man, the DMV man, etc.). Basically, I think MSRP is too high (surprise surprise...). Some folks have paid that, but most pay less. Right now, the economy sucks, and dealers aren't moving bikes worth a damn. Their choices are either 1) make as much as they can on every bike 'cause they're not going to sell that many, or 2) lower their prices to try to move their inventory. If your dealer is the #1 variety, go find one that's a #2 . The general consensus, again depending on where you live, is that a "really good deal" is around $5500 before fees get piled on.

I hope some of that helps.

-NoVector
Old 06-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #223
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
3.) My local dealer has one in stock and is asking the retail price of $5899, is this the going price and what could I expect to get'em down to for an OTD price?
My local dealer is charging $5499. No charge for setup or freight. Sales tax and registration are extra.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #224
advrod
Hot Roddicus Supersonicus

Oddometer: 31
WR250R 1 expen$ive mofo

My local dealer is charging $5499. No charge for setup or freight. Sales tax and registration are extra.
Today 12:00 PM
NoVectorQuote:

$5899.00 around here. It seems stealers are sticking to sticker price. I have my eye on a 250R and haven't seen em advertised in local cycle trader yet. I plan to get one in two months and I am curious to know what dealer invoice is.Has anyone use Cyclebuy dot com for dealer invocie info?Do you reccomend it?. I also checked out Kelly blue book and they listed 4899.00 as a starting negotiating price for the WR250R. I think thats a good price considering all the bs taxes/fees stearlers pile up. Plan on letting you all know what goes down when am ready to buy.
advrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #225
squid vicious
weak sauce

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

Thanks,

AC
bump started more FI bikes than I care to count. Won't be a problem.
squid vicious is offline   Reply With Quote