Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #22531
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
... If my run isn't incredibly humiliating I will post the video here when I get done.
soooo.....??? was it incredibly humiliating??

i must admit, i'm not even a WR guy but i ran across this thread and now i'm on dying to know if you made it!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #22532
zora
the explora

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
soooo.....??? was it incredibly humiliating??
The event is this Sunday.

If I don't end up with two broken arms, I should have it posted by Monday.

I know it won't be pretty, but everyone will get a laugh and I guess that's a good way to start the work week.

Maybe I can inspire some of the other WR riders to give it a try at their local event.

I mean really.....if a chick is taking a stab at it....

Oh, and I can guarantee there will be no "making it". I just hope to get a few feet further up than at least one of my guys.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #22533
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygris View Post
On Wednesday I told everyone of the tale of me trying to get to work on the WRR after two weeks and it not starting. Well today I found out why. Intially I found my EFI fuse had blown, so I replaced it with the spare and the bike started right up. Something told me to pull my seat as well just to check things out and I found 5 stowaways. Minnie mouse scurried away almost immediately . After much cursing I evicted the 4 kids and the nest from the air box (pics below). Minnie did a good job of eating through my FMF programmer's wires.
ahh, the best laid plans of mice and men...
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #22534
zora
the explora

Oddometer: 2,040
I just got a knobblicious Pirelli Scorpion MX XT delivered today, for the rear. I sure hope that sucker fits on there okay. Anyone tried one of these before?
Old 06-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #22535
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,648
I run the Pirelli Scorpion XC MH's on the WRR, and the rear in a 120/100. It fits, barely.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #22536
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
TAT Planning

OK what are they and what would you pick different?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #22537
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
I would proly change the throtle cables rather than bring them along, (not shown) cuz you break one of those and your done, clutch not so much. Personally I don't think you would need the ECU or Regulator use a snake to tie down the break lever and forget about another one in the bag, I would also suggest the Zeta levers and leave the spares at home, The zetas will spring forward rather than bending or breaking. Hoses not needed but I did put some metal mesh over the small hose coming from the pump.

Foot pegs nope, coil nope and gaskets nope. One very important thing you are not showing is a fresh fuel pump. Depending on the year and miles you have on your bike. That is the weak link. Extra spark plug, though you won't need it unless you drown the bike. Be sure your battery is good and fresh. I change mine every two years need it or not......fuel injected bike...
Tooth past to get the bugs off your teeth cuz you'll be smilling all the time

Hope you have a killer of a time!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 PM   #22538
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Shift lever, extra seat bolts, fuses, throttle pull cable (remove push), oil drain bolt, inner tubes (and related tools). Start with new or nearly new sprockets, chain, tires. Some nuts/bolts, tire gauge, tools.

And take nothing in the pile you have.

I would motel-it, so would not carry any camping gear. UPS clothes and whatever to motels along the route, so minimal baggage. Mojavi on the back to carry everything I'd need. I like to ride without a load on the back - much more enjoyable (to me). If you saw me on the road, you'd think I was just riding to the next town.

More than you asked for, but I got carried away
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #22539
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,332
Learned that the hard way....or relearned...shipping and hotelling it...that is.

What did you mean by "remove push"?
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #22540
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
A trick I've seen used before to good effect is to thread and run a
spare throttle cable right alongside the one in use and just tape/zip
tie it in place.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #22541
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Parts and Pieces

Shift lever--ordered but small vice grips work
extra seat bolts--in
fuses--in
throttle pull cable (remove push)--doable
oil drain bolt--no oil change on trip
inner tubes--one 21" in
(and related tools)--two short spoons and a bead buddy
Start with new or nearly new sprockets, chain, tires--check done
Some nuts/bolts--check in
tire gauge--check in
tools--check in

Of what I've got here I will most likely take it all except the footpegs, Reg\Rec and the fresh air filter--traveling solo and do it a lot--some of these have been very useful on other bikes. I normally parallel in a spare clutch cable on all my bikes--which I will do with this one. No camping gear--no food. Just water tools and spare parts and oh yea an empty 1.5 gallon rotopax that I will fill and immediately empty into the main on a couple of the sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Shift lever, extra seat bolts, fuses, throttle pull cable (remove push), oil drain bolt, inner tubes (and related tools). Start with new or nearly new sprockets, chain, tires. Some nuts/bolts, tire gauge, tools.

And take nothing in the pile you have.

I would motel-it, so would not carry any camping gear. UPS clothes and whatever to motels along the route, so minimal baggage. Mojavi on the back to carry everything I'd need. I like to ride without a load on the back - much more enjoyable (to me). If you saw me on the road, you'd think I was just riding to the next town.

More than you asked for, but I got carried away
Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #22542
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,796
Quote:
I'd bring a spare headlight and tail light bulb and leave the majority of what you show in the photo.

Definitely have someway to clean and oil the air filter.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #22543
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Foot pegs nope, coil nope and gaskets nope. One very important thing you are not showing is a fresh fuel pump. Depending on the year and miles you have on your bike. That is the weak link. Extra spark plug, though you won't need it unless you drown the bike. Be sure your battery is good and fresh. I change mine every two years need it or not......fuel injected bike...
Lot's of good advice there, 10cup. But change your battery every 2 years? Mine usually last 6 or 7+ before showing any signs of degradation and then give plenty of notice. Have you had batteries fail sooner than that and that is why you change them preemptively? I do put mine on a battery tender, or version of one, and that might be the difference. Hope you offer up those batteries to anyone needing a replacement rather then turning them in. Should be many years of life left in them and if someone isn't riding the wilds so isn't concerned about their age, they'll surely take them off your hands for free and use them up.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #22544
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Quote:
Of what I've got here I will most likely take it all except the footpegs, Reg\Rec and the fresh air filter--traveling solo and do it a lot--some of these have been very useful on other bikes.
Another option might be leave it all at home and prepackaged for shipping. If you need something on the road and a local dealer doesn't have it, you can have someone overnight it or have something overnighted to a dealership. At that point, the expensive shipping will be worth it. If you don't need it, you didn't lug it all along for nothing. Weighing the likelihood of needing those items vs. the inconvenience of carrying it all, I'll leave up to you. In my opinion, needing most of those pictured items is remote at best and there are sources available should you need them along the way.

It just seams like the "what if" list could be endless because there is always one more item that could fail. I've not had anything fail in 12,000 miles and I'd take my bike on the TAT next week after a few maintenance items (tires, oil change, filter cleaning) and not carry anything you pictured; just maintenance items or plan on stopping at a dealership, independent shop or ADVrider inmate's house along the way for oil change and filter cleaning. ...And this comes from someone that hates to not be prepared and have things at the ready. At the end of the day, though, you need to do what lets you sleep at night during your trip.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #22545
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,283
I wouldn't bring anything you've got shown there.

I would take 2 tubes, a patch kit, a bicycle tire pump, some quick steel, a master link, and my tools. That's all I take everywhere I go and wouldn't bring anything extra for a TAT trip if I were to do one.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote