Nice try!!
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #22607
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
There were about 250 runs total and I won "Best In Show" for my dismount.
Way to represent!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #22608
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,149
Hill Climb

Way to go--for a first time that was a good run! Just getting on the bike and going to the starting line is more than most will accomplish--congrats!
Old 06-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #22609
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 871
Nice job on the attempts! You're also quite the artist!

Quote:
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #22610
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
My knee is pretty messed up today. It got caught under my bike on the first run, but all in all I am in one piece - just sore as hell cuz of my second run. I'll post that in a bit.
Great job!!!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #22611
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,161
Would be curious to hear what size sprockets (including rear) those that have had the excessive slider wear were running. Obviously the larger the front and rear sprockets one runs, the less the chain can and will contact the bottom of the slider. Smaller sprockets alone don't cause the issue. Nor any one other factor it seems. It takes a combination of factors to come together to experience the excessive wear and part of that may be not replacing the slider often enough. If your combination of factors (sprocket size, tension, weight, riding style) cause wear faster than others, then replacing the slider more often will likely be the only preventative measure that is acceptable (because who wants to change their riding style...or weight for that matter. Ha).
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #22612
Chadx
Off the road again..

Nice runs, Zora!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #22613
boogn1sh
Motorcycle crash-tester

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post
one respected member says run it loose, another run it tight. I need a consensus here folks I got 3000 more miles to go till I get home.
I know I'm not a respected member....but run it loose if you want to replace plastic chain guards, run it tight if you want to replace parts related to your counter shaft. I'm going with loose.

Search back a few years in this thread for my posts about swingarm damage and wear. There is a direct correlation between running your chain loose, using the full range of your shock and chain guard wear.
"Tight" chain and >500 easy paved/gravel miles = virtually zero wear to chain guard.
"Loose" chain and <50 hard off road miles with many jumps = measurable wear on chain guard.

Sent from my ADR6300

http://adventuresubaru.com
boogn1sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #22614
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,662
Sounds like the general Consensus on the swing arm guard BS is that we are F'ed either way..run it loose, run it tight, it gets eaten no matter what. Swisscheese pegs, guards and fuel pump electronics.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:43 PM   #22615
Chadx
Off the road again..

...all of which haven't been an issue for 95 - 99% of owners. I think our little bikes are doing pretty good if these are the few and far between issues that we are talking about. The chain slider (guard seal) is a wear item like tires, chains, oil, brakepads, etc. I guess maybe footpegs and clutch/brake levers are, too, for some riders. I've been known to mangle a few of each. Ha. Just replace and proceed.

Chadx screwed with this post 06-20-2011 at 05:53 PM
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #22616
Chadx
Off the road again..

Someone asked about tank and shroud width measurements a while back. I finally put a tape to stock, Safari, and IMS 4.8 gallong tanks (stock and Safari were mounted on bikes at the time, so had to eyeball it from a few angles, but these should be pretty close). Note that the Safari tank is at it's widest point back from the leading edge of the shrouds. I attempted to measure widest point of each.

19" - Stock shrouds. Widest point was the top of the shrouds at the leading edge.
20 or 21" - Safari Tank. Widest point about 4" back from leading edge.
22 or 23" - IMS 4.8 gallon.

This won't give much info at the widest point where ones knees/legs sit, but that wasn't the original question. Can't recall why shroud width was of concern. Can the OP re-post?
Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #22617
Neonguy95
Self Sponsored Rider

Oddometer: 300
I keep tabs on this thread, but rarely post. This thread helped me decide on the WR so 7k miles later I will post up my experience with the chain guard wear.

I keep tabs on the chain before every long distance weekend and when I swap rear tires or repair a flat. I keep the chain on the tighter side. I show very little wear on the chain guard. Sprokets and chain show very little wear. I lube the chain probably too much, but if that is what helps, the so be it. I will take over lubing to replacing parts any day.

Also went to Neutech Tubliss setup. Works wonderfully. I had to use 3oz of wheel weights to balance the rim lock. After 350 miles this past weekend on 95%. Fastest speed 89 mph. No wobble.

The only downfall so far is checking tire pressures more often. During the week I loose 3-4 psi over 3 days with riding back and forth to work. You have two places to check on each wheel. One high side and one low side. Run the high side at 110psi and low side 20 front and 26 rear.

Major pro though is the ease of fixing flats. I got a screw in the rear tire about a week before swapping in the Tubliss system. I used the tire, with the hole, to see how a repair would hold up. Use a tire patch kit and plugged the rear tire. 350 miles later and still no leak around the plug. I am sold.

No noticable traction difference, but I was with the wife and she only has 400 miles under her belt. So we went easy and light. Very few dirt roads.

Installed a 3 gallon IMS tank at the same time. Having an extra gallon makes a world of difference too.

My two cents on these subjects anyway.

Rusty
Neonguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #22618
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,662
Speaking of the IMS 3.0 gallon tank..I am considering one., Do they have any or all of the issues people have recently been experienced with the rushed to market 4.3 gallon tank?
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #22619
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I have the IMS 3 gallon , I have one of the 1st ones they made because I preordered so far in advance. It had a very slight leak around the the fuel pump , IMS sent a new o-ring that fixed that. I'm sure by now that issue has been corrected , or maybe they just send them with the updated o-ring.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:28 PM   #22620
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Speaking of the IMS 3.0 gallon tank..I am considering one., Do they have any or all of the issues people have recently been experienced with the rushed to market 4.3 gallon tank?

Just put one on a few weeks ago. It took longer to get the plastics apart than it did to mount the tank; no problems at all. The tank does make the gaps between the seat and side panels a bit bigger, but I didn't even notice till it was pointed out here.

You can see the pics here

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote