Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #22711
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,376
Suits.

The operative part of the joke is challenging Doug on this one:
Quote:
The softer sand and terrain, running 25 PSI, you may as well be on ice.
:cheers
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #22712
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
TNJT: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247636

TET: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508552

NOM NOM NOM

Oh and about psis...ymmv...forgot that, again, JMO
PSIS??

Bill, we'll set something up in next few weeks...but keep it off the public board...cause you know how well about posting rides in the pines, on ADV, goes over with people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
I"ll take that challenge as well.
Bring it.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #22713
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Bring it.
I do every weekend.

Quote:

I guess we'll just have to go see. He who whines, quits or falls down first loses.
We are talking about this challenge correct? Because I think Doug would lose this riding by himself.

onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #22714
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:

We are talking about this challenge correct? Because I think Doug would lose this riding by himself.
Don't quit yer day job mr comedian.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #22715
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
C'mon! That was funny!
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #22716
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,376
Now Doug keep your sense of humor turned on. . Edit...you did

We all know that I will fall down first. I'm like Safaris plastic integrity tester. Bt I'll still show ya that 25 psi aint like riding on ice...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #22717
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
C'mon! That was funny!
Quote:
Now Doug keep your sense of humor turned on. . Edit...you did

We all know that I will fall down first. I'm like Safaris plastic integrity tester. Bt I'll still show ya that 25 psi aint like riding on ice...
Its all good gents. Bill, you are welcome to come ride with us anytime. I tried inviting you soon after your LTC ceremony, but you had some other stuff going on. When you are ready to come this far east, just let me know. We'll do some PSI R&D trials properly.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #22718
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
Need Programmer advice

Leo Vince Slipon with airbox mod....any suggestions on programmer to smooth her out abit? Thanks for any help.
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #22719
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Bad chain

I think I've narrowed down the cause of my chain slider munching WRR to a bad chain, more specifically a single bad link that is sticking. I put on a brand new slider that Scottmac next day aired me and 300 miles later it is nearly toast.

Fellow inmate Bob was traveling to Idaho and Battle mountain was on the way so he stopped in Winnemucca, NV at Sonoma Cycle and picked me up a new chain. I'm heading over to a Nelson's Racing in Battle Mountain to have it shortened for my needs and we hopefully should be good to go. I sure hope so, cause this thing is eating $50 chain sliders like they are candy.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #22720
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Thirdcoaster,

My bike is a 2010 but the CO adjustment and method to access the settings was exactly the same as on my friend's 2008, so I'd expect it would be the same for your 2009.

FWIW, since doing the mods in February that you quoted earlier from my post, I've put nearly 3K miles on the bike and it's not had a single hiccup. The only thing different I've noticed is that it takes a little longer to warm up (probably due to removing the AIS and EXUP stuff), but it also runs much cooler in the woods. Now the radiator fan hardly ever seems to come on whereas before it would come on after just a few minutes of poking along on a singletrack trail.

The bike runs STRONG and is just a blast to ride with the extra grunt. Once I set the CO to richen it up a bit that first day I haven't had to touch it. A check of the spark plug after a couple hundred miles showed it was a nice toasty brown - not too lean, not too rich - just like I wanted it to look.

The only mod that didn't work out was the 12T CS sprocket, which caused the chain to eat through the rubber swingarm guard and began to score the swingarm before I realized it. I went back with a 13T front and 47T rear to make it bigger on both ends when I replaced the chain about 500 miles ago, and replaced the rubber guard. Since then I've seen no wear.

YRMV
David
Thanks for the confirmation. I fired my bike up today with the CO setting still at +40, and the cold idle is MUCH smoother, no stalling or bogging, and no performance issues. I left the ground wire in place so that I can tweak the fueling later if needed, plus having the tachometer available is nice.

I'm running 13/47 gearing with the X wheels, and today, I am mounting D606 rubber to my new set of RAD/Excel dirt wheels. I'm going to run 13/49 gearing with the knobbies.

BTW, I went from a 950 Adventure to this bike, and I'm not looking back!
thirdcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #22721
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdcoaster View Post
BTW, I went from a 950 Adventure to this bike, and I'm not looking back!
I don't know if I could give up my 950 SE... It's nice to have both.

The SE is great for just gobbling up miles on a long trip and will go many more places than you'd think it would (or should)... especially if you get in those "have to" situations like we sometimes seem to do.

The WR-R is a great compliment to it and after the SE feels like a mountain bike!

Love 'em both!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #22722
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post
I think I've narrowed down the cause of my chain slider munching WRR to a bad chain, more specifically a single bad link that is sticking. I put on a brand new slider that Scottmac next day aired me and 300 miles later it is nearly toast.

Fellow inmate Bob was traveling to Idaho and Battle mountain was on the way so he stopped in Winnemucca, NV at Sonoma Cycle and picked me up a new chain. I'm heading over to a Nelson's Racing in Battle Mountain to have it shortened for my needs and we hopefully should be good to go. I sure hope so, cause this thing is eating $50 chain sliders like they are candy.
Machtig, I've got 9k on my original seal protector (as they call it). Still running my same Sidewinder Smart Chain (all this time) & 13/46 gearing. My protector looks about half worn, maybe less. Really, its in decent shape.

My chain tension procedure is documented at www.WRRdualsport.com. I definitely prefer to keep it loose. Hate having a chain too tight. That can be bad for the motor, as well as the chain. I do clean my chain often, in Mineral Spirits, and keep it well lubed all the time. Maybe the problems are coming from worn, crusty, jammed links....as you've alluded to. Hhhmmm....

HF

p.s. I've finally booked my Dyno appointment for the Athena 290. Its going down 7-8-11. Earliest date I could get, once I got in the mood for it.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #22723
skian g
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post

Please loosen your chain...have someone sit on your bike with it off the sidestand and then feel what the tension is. The way that the suspension moves through its travel really affects chain tension. With someone sitting on the bike you will be get a better "down the road tension" as chadx called it. I will be checking my chain like this from now on. It really changes what you think is a good tension when its sitting relaxed on the side stand.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #22724
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,168
Even just the weight of the bike increases tension quite a bit. Any time I think my chain might be too lose, I just stand the bike upright and push up and down on the chain. It is quite tight even with just the bikes weight much less with my weight. That little check quiets the "better tighten that chain" voice in my head.
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #22725
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Still running my same Sidewinder Smart Chain (all this time) & 13/46 gearing.
I thought you chewed through a front sidewinder "lifetime" sprocket and had to get it replaced under warranty? Might have been someone else's sidewinder. Or are you saying the same chain but different sprockets?
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote