Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #23161
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post

Also considering the smaller Automotive Machine Supply rack. I like the bigger ones better (shown on the same page linked below), but want to keep this under $100.
http://www.automotivemachine.com/ind...d=51&Itemid=56

I've got the small auto machine rack you pictured. If I had to do it again, I think I'd buy the one that is slightly bigger. This one fits a Wolfman peak tailbag perfectly, but a rotopax will overhang at the rear. So if you are going to carry a tailbag, this one works well. If you want to strap more stuff down to it, I'd get the next size up to make it easier.

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #23162
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
They provide the spacers but not the bolts so that is another expense, though minor, compared to most other racks.

I'm going to contact them to verify their racks are coated. There website says "Natural Matte finish". I'm hoping that means anodized or painted and that "natural" refers to the color rather than their not being coated. As we all know, non-coated aluminum slowly makes a mess as they surface-wear with the vibration experienced on thumpers.
I wasn't thrilled w/ drilling holes in the fender to mount mine, so I came up w/ this. Made of 1/4 in AL bent around a 1 1/2 in die. It's mounted to the same points it would be if using the normal spacers. It's strong enough to be used as a grab handle in case I bury the thing.

It leaves enough room to put something between the rack and fender if needed. I just made up an experimental bag to fit in that space, but I haven't ridden w/ it yet.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 AM   #23163
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
I packed a lot on my small rack..seemed to do just fine.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #23164
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I packed a lot on my small rack..seemed to do just fine.

I stand corrected. I hadn't tried to load that much stuff on mine yet. It just seemed harder to get larger stuff to fit w/ that angled mount. Glad that's not the case. I do like the way the rack fits the bike and it's lines.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #23165
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
Question for the Yanks.....do you get the WRF 250 and 450 street legal out of the box there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Off road only off the showroom floor. With minor modifications they can be made to meet individual states legal requirements. Some states are easier than others.
Except in California. Not possible to be made street legal. At all.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #23166
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoprire View Post
I stand corrected. I hadn't tried to load that much stuff on mine yet. It just seemed harder to get larger stuff to fit w/ that angled mount. Glad that's not the case. I do like the way the rack fits the bike and it's lines.
Yeah, that is why I went with their smallest rack too. It fits the lines of the rear of the bike best.

Here is how I hooked the straps on:

Every now and then along ride, I'd nudge the bags to the left side, to keep away from exhaust side, but it was never really an issue.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #23167
tatterhood
Sturdy Girl

Oddometer: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Yes, that means 105mm from the top. 2 quarts will be plenty.
Service manual says 613mL. So both forks will be just over a liter. And the oil height is indeed 105mm.

Adventure is a state of mind...
tatterhood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #23168
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatterhood View Post
Service manual says 613mL. So both forks will be just over a liter. And the oil height is indeed 105mm.
The amount spec'd by the manual is just a starting point - many off-road bike manuals even give multiple levels for the type of riding being done.
Oil height is something that is part of tuning the forks. Less oil = more total travel and affects mostly the last 1/3 of travel, damping-wise. More oil stiffens up that last third. Oil level also affects the air space which modifies the spring effect. Off road woods riders will probably like less oil, road riders more. I tend to run about 120 mm for my off-road KYB's for rough woods work -
For off-roaders who might be interested in getting the most out of these forks, check to see if you're not getting full travel on the hardest hits, or if the front is too stiff in all conditions, if so, you can drop the oil level some to suit, but don't forget these forks are sprung pretty stiff for riders under 170 lbs or so.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #23169
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 975
I have one fork disassembled and going smoothly...

The cause of the leaky seal was probably due to a slight nick in the stancion.
I have a goof friend who has worked on cars and aircraft who is going to buff it out for me. The nick almost feels like a grain of sand for size comparison.
My bike has less than 3k on the clock.
My question is....do I need to redo the other fork or not.
I'm using BelRay 5w oil, so I would think the the original fork oil should match up ok.
What are your thoughts on this?

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #23170
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2020 View Post
...My question is....do I need to redo the other fork or not. I'm using BelRay 5w oil, so I would think the the original fork oil should match up ok. What are your thoughts on this?
How does the old oil appear? Dirty, smelly, contaminated? If the oil seems like new you're probably OK. Also, how old? Is it the original oil from '08? I'd probably do the other fork if the oil is 3+ years old, as long as you're this far into it.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #23171
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
Off road only off the showroom floor. With minor modifications they can be made to meet individual states legal requirements. Some states are easier than others.
WR450F is 30 pounds lighter than WR250R...

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...0/compare.aspx

Mirrors, light, signals, some extra wiring... but the 250 has a lighter engine... I'm sure Yamaha have considered making a "WRR" 450, but would it steal sales from the 250, or grow the market?
Old 07-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #23172
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
The WR450F and the WR250R share virtually nothing component wise other than a few odds and ends like axle blocks and rear sprocket bolt pattern. Oh, and they're both blue. To make a reliable, long lasting 450 motor with street bike service intervals like the WR250R would require a whole new engine platform or at the least significant changes to the stock 450f's motor and modus operandi. Don't forget the beefy subframe, real battery, etc.

I'd wager they considered a 450R instead of a 250R, but for some reason they chose a 250. Probably because it just works.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #23173
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
...I'd wager they considered a 450R instead of a 250R, but for some reason they chose a 250. Probably because it just works.
They could probably come out with a parallel twin 500 easier than a 450 thumper. Hmm...an F800 killer?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #23174
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 975
Thumb fork seals complete :)

I did go ahead and do both sides since I had all the tools out and easily available. It is very rewarding to work on your bike yourself. The shops would charge well over $200. Pair of fork seals and 2 quarts of fork oil around $35 and doing the work myself was actually enjoyable.
I thank you guys for advice and also rockymountain atv & mc for the video they have on their website.
I know most of you probably do your own fork seals, but I highly encourage others to give it a try.

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #23175
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,699
WR450X.....Could Be Perfect Bike (Not Available)

WR250X.....Close Enough (Available).
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote