User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #23206
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
New chain, sprockets

My new RK Gold X-ring chain came in as well as 14/50 Supersprox sprockets. Looks to be very good stuff. The rear is guaranteed unbreakable. We'll find out soon enough as I just mailed off my registration and entry fee for Vegas to Reno 2011

How does my chain slack look? I did the HighFive method of two fingers on top at the mudflap location.

Also wanted to throw a few photos in for Chadx and others who were wondering how the 130/90-18 D606 fit. Happy to report it fits fine. It is a heavy SOB though

Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #23207
Rosie!
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
I have a WR250R that I'm prepping for a 2012 run on the TAT and have a few questions on luggage. Specifically, about the exhaust shield on the WR.

Does the exhaust shield do it's job well enough to prevent normal saddlebags from melting? Think Cortech Sport Bags as opposed to the more normal Wolfman framed option.

Thoughts?

PS: I Intend to keep the OEM exhaust and shield on the bike. I like quiet bikes.
My exhaust gets really hot.
I've got racks to stop my saddlebags from resting on the exhaust shield (but they do still touch in places), and I've had the exhaust shield melt in places, and the bag just started melting on one trip, so I've put a layer of nylon felt in between the bag and the luggage rack, which seems to have stopped the bag from melting, but things in the exhaust side bag still get pretty warm (clothes come out of their drybag feeling and smelling like they've just been ironed - even in winter). My next step may be to replace the plastic heat sheild with a metal one.
I'm not enthused about shelling out for an aftermarket exhaust just to keep my luggage cool.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 AM   #23208
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
I can't remember exactly how the heat shield on the stock exhaust is configured, but back in the day an old license plate served as a handy stand-off on my XT, maybe you all can rig some such? I used the ends off a pair of old grips as insulation between the heat shield and the license plate, never had a heat problem running the bags crammed full. Thread's here in case you want more pictures:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471360

Sarah

Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #23209
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,398
Musta been a weekend for maintenance. Love it....

I think I need to go back and collect quotes of fork maintenance goodness...definitely beyond me.

I'm up around 58 mpg by the GPS, really never any better, that's a stretch at that. 195 was my recent best to a tank and it holds about 3.6G.

I am now Primary Drive brand sprockets and chain all around. GYTR front sprocket had 3,000 miles, Front D606 almost cooked and hitting the bands between blocks at 5800 miles running 25 psi consistently. Rear was about 4/5 gone at 3,000 miles. And just a comment on pads (not that there is ANY conclusion whatsoever to draw) I did my brakes with EBC sintered pads at 12,000 miles (3,000 miles ago), rears were paper.

By the way, swing arm guard does have some slight grooving in it, but doesn't appear to have really progressed since early in ownership. I'm 13/47 and running a 112 link now...was 110 before with that gearing and the rear wheel was all the way forward. Edit: If this chain stretches faster or more dramatically than the Sidewinder then I'll just go to 48 in the rear right?

MoBill screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 04:50 AM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 AM   #23210
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
Get yourself some fork skins/shock sox and cover those delicate tubes. Fork seal replacement is not a fun job as far as I'm concerned.

Sarah

P.S. That's a good lookin motorsickle
Old 07-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #23211
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
Ummm..pretty. That is gonna be what I switch to too, when stock stuff is worn out. I loved their stuff on the DRZ.

DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #23212
DougZ73
Fading off.........

BTW..I am looking for a spare stock rear shock to get rebuilt, so as to not lose any riding time. Let me know if anyone knows of one somewhere. Ebay has nuttin.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #23213
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
My exhaust gets really hot.
I've got racks to stop my saddlebags from resting on the exhaust shield (but they do still touch in places), and I've had the exhaust shield melt in places, and the bag just started melting on one trip, so I've put a layer of nylon felt in between the bag and the luggage rack, which seems to have stopped the bag from melting, but things in the exhaust side bag still get pretty warm (clothes come out of their drybag feeling and smelling like they've just been ironed - even in winter). My next step may be to replace the plastic heat sheild with a metal one.
I'm not enthused about shelling out for an aftermarket exhaust just to keep my luggage cool.
I can get some of that fiberglass/aluminum foil product, that comes on the inside of the heat shield. I added a layer to the inside of my Dirtbagz, exhaust side, to keep the heat off my gear. Worked just fine on the last trip I did. The Wolfman racks also help to keep the bags away from the exhaust too.

If anyone is interested in some of that material, let me know.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:47 AM   #23214
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post
My new RK Gold X-ring chain came in as well as 14/50 Supersprox sprockets.
Also wanted to throw a few photos in for Chadx and others who were wondering how the 130/90-18 D606 fit. Happy to report it fits fine. It is a heavy SOB though
Thanks for the 130 pics, Machtig. If I go back to a D606, I'll stick with the 120. That sucker was heavy enough. I'm still on the fence about if I like the MT43. Been is a few situations where I think the D606 would have worked better because the MT43 spun out. Once it looses traction, that's all folks. I like it for most of my riding. Don't like them as well on the asphalt. Don't like having to mess with air pressure all the time (low on trails and medium on street) and they are wearing fast. I'll finish them up and then decide. If I ran less asphalt, I might be more tempted to keep them since I could leave the air lower. It's usually only 5 - 15 miles to the various mountain ranges and gravel/trails, but duing the week, it's an hour round trip of small highways to work (though I do usually jump off and take some gravel "shortcuts" back and forth). When the Tenere gets here, maybe my thoughts on how the WRR is setup will change.

Do your run a case saver / sprocket cover or run it bare? I have Ivan setup on both our WRR and have the 14 tooth laying here waiting to go on. Most have said there is no clearance issue with the case saver and 14T, though I'll be doing as others have (which I did when I first installed it a couple years ago, too) which it push the case saver hard against the case as I tighten each bolt. That gives a tiny bit more chain/sprocket clearance.

Chadx screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 06:57 AM
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #23215
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Note that madisonreids fuel mileage of 68mpg is on the high end of the reported mpg range. I used to get that with the stock gearing on very easy country road cruises going 45mph in 5th or 6th gear. Once I changed to 13/48, my mileage lowered to be about what everyone else is reporting; 50 - 55mpg with a very rare tank over 60mpg. If one gets 55mpg for the entire 3.6 gallons of a Safari, you'll be dry at about 198 miles and should probably be refilling around 160 - 170. Still, much nice than stock.

I just bolted on the IMS 4.8 gallon today and moved the safari to my wife's bike. Nice to have good range on both bikes.
Chadx, your broad brush comments are not accurate quit trying to the the end all answer on other's comments, he said he got it so let it be. I get 62 mpg avg on the dirt all the time, his 46 on the Hwy is accurate too and I run 13/46 gears too. Different rider's will get different mileage and no it isn't rare to get over 60mpg on a tank, may be for you but others do it, I do it.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #23216
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Chadx, your broad brush comments are not accurate quit trying to the the end all answer on other's comments, he said he got it so let it be. I get 62 mpg avg on the dirt all the time, his 46 on the Hwy is accurate too and I run 13/46 gears too. Different rider's will get different mileage and no it isn't rare to get over 60mpg on a tank, may be for you but others do it, I do it.

exactly everyone gets different mileage, different grades of fuel, ethanol or no ethanol, flat, hills, mountains, tires, tire pressure, loads, rider size, wind screen, etc... way to many variables. Shit I think the best i have gotten on my WR so far is about 48mpg, but i wring its neck. I think i ride it more like a two stroke than I actually ride my two stroke, lol.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #23217
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
10Cup, Sorry if any comments I've made, now or in the past, upset you. Never my intention. I don't try to be the end all answer on other's comments. I simply add my own experience or make a counterpoint so other readers don't take one comment as everyone's experience. I think everyone posting up their experience and counterpoints helps round out the information so others can gather it all up and have a base and then can formulate their own ideas based on other experience and then their own. That benefits the entire forum. I'm on here to learn (from you and other posters) and to share some things, too. All of our posts may help some and not others, but if everyone stops sharing we lose the varied experience that rounds out the knowledge base.

To clarify my comment of "my mileage lowered to be about what everyone else is reporting; 50 - 55mpg with a very rare tank over 60mpg", the last part reads clearer to my intent if I put "lowered to be about what everyone else is reporting for their most common mpg. I get 50 - 55mpg most of the time with a very rare tank, for me, over 60mpg".

From the info shared on here, I do think the norm is about 50-55mpg with the way most folks setup these bikes and didn't want someone to base their potential safari range off of 68mpg which is a fairly rare mpg rating. I do get over 60mpg rarely (I used to get 65mpg easily with stock sprockets) and have been down in the 40mpg range, too. Those are extremes (for me) and to be expected with varied riding style and conditions from tank to tank. I take that into consideration if range is going to be an issue. If I know I have a long spell between gas stops, I'll ride it easier than normal knowing I'll get on the high end of my normal range. If I'm out for a shorter day ride, I can flog it, knowing I'll be at the low end of my normal range.

Again, hope that whatever I said in that comment or in the past was never taken as anything put trying to help out on this forum. If it was taken any other way, I apologize.
Chad
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:53 AM   #23218
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
10Cup, Sorry if any comments I've made, now or in the past, upset you. Never my intention. I don't try to be the end all answer on other's comments. I simply add my own experience or make a counterpoint so other readers don't take one comment as everyone's experience. I think everyone posting up their experience and counterpoints helps round out the information so others can gather it all up and have a base and then can formulate their own ideas based on other experience and then their own. That benefits the entire forum. I'm on here to learn (from you and other posters) and to share some things, too. All of our posts may help some and not others, but if everyone stops sharing we lose the varied experience that rounds out the knowledge base.

To clarify my comment of "my mileage lowered to be about what everyone else is reporting; 50 - 55mpg with a very rare tank over 60mpg", the last part reads clearer to my intent if I put "lowered to be about what everyone else is reporting for their most common mpg. I get 50 - 55mpg most of the time with a very rare tank, for me, over 60mpg".

From the info shared on here, I do think the norm is about 50-55mpg with the way most folks setup these bikes and didn't want someone to base their potential safari range off of 68mpg which is a fairly rare mpg rating. I do get over 60mpg rarely (I used to get 65mpg easily with stock sprockets) and have been down in the 40mpg range, too. Those are extremes (for me) and to be expected with varied riding style and conditions from tank to tank. I take that into consideration if range is going to be an issue. If I know I have a long spell between gas stops, I'll ride it easier than normal knowing I'll get on the high end of my normal range. If I'm out for a shorter day ride, I can flog it, knowing I'll be at the low end of my normal range.

Again, hope that whatever I said in that comment or in the past was never taken as anything put trying to help out on this forum. If it was taken any other way, I apologize.
Chad
Chadx, I'm sure you are a nice guy and mean well. Regardless of what you experience you are not helping others by trying to give them an overall because everyone needs to find out on their own motorcycle, for their type of riding, what they will experience. I'm not trying to be moderator either, just that my experience from over 31,000 miles on my WR is widley different than yours. Just my 2 cents.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #23219
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:

From the info shared on here, I do think the norm is about 50-55mpg with the way most folks setup these bikes. I do get over 60mpg rarely (I used to get 65mpg easily with stock sprockets) and have been down in the 40mpg range, too. Those are extremes (for me) and to be expected with varied riding style and conditions from tank to tank. I take that into consideration if range is going to be an issue. If I know I have a long spell between gas stops, I'll ride it easier than normal knowing I'll get on the high end of my normal range. If I'm out for a shorter day ride, I can flog it, knowing I'll be at the low end of my normal range.

Chad
If I may suggest....Information shared in this or any other thread, well meaning is nothing more than.... well meaning. Chad ,along with countless others has given this thread a tremendous level of useful information which IMHO has added value to the groups experience. I'm not a agressive rider and my mods are measured based on my needs which are different then others. I picked the Safari over the IMS 4.5 and the IMS 3.0 based on the info provided on this thread. There were clear pros and cons in each camp. Some have given their pledge to the 4.5 while others said the 3.0 was big enough. If anything, perhaps my experience shows just one more possibility of owning this bike. Maybe my experience will help another with their decision. I appreciate everyone's experience and opinions on this thread the same way I do in other threads. We should be embracing the continuity and quality of information. I would hope no one would feel angry or frustrated. To bad the only one not reading these threads for ideas is Yamaha.....Go figure.

Chad....thanks for not calling me a P**S for my ass's lack of endurance that matches the Safari Tank's range ....... IT'S ALL GOOD
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #23220
mcwbyu82
WRR'er

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Chadx, I'm sure you are a nice guy and mean well. Regardless of what you experience you are not helping others by trying to give them an overall because everyone needs to find out on their own motorcycle, for their type of riding, what they will experience. I'm not trying to be moderator either, just that my experience from over 31,000 miles on my WR is widley different than yours. Just my 2 cents.
I for one appreciate posts like Chadx and others. This thread is huge and hard to keep track of everything.
You are correct that everyone needs to find out about their own bike, but it is nice to have something for comparison. Whether it be MPG, miles out of tires, chain slider wear etc. Yes everyones miles will vary but by using this forum to get a general idea you can know when your own values are way out of whack and need to address a problem.
mcwbyu82 is offline   Reply With Quote