Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #23251
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Please document the install. I've been very interested in the Lynx setup but haven't seen anyone show install photos.
I'll do a full write-up on the install. I'll also do a side-by-side comparison with the laminar lip solution for wind deflection on the R² with photos.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #23252
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,714
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I didn't care for them on the street. Run 12-15psi on pavement, any lower and you'll risk chunking it on longer rides. Fairly mushy and not terribly responsive on pavement either. Their street manners and the fact that I've had my only two flats while riding with these tires plus the chunking issue I had last year are why I no longer use them in spite of their off-road prowess.

Off road 8-10psi and they'll walk up anything. Most guys I know who run the rear run their favorite knobby on the front as they find a fresh knob has better traction at speed than the trials tire. MT16's are popular in my area and that combo will take you through just about any terrain there is.

The rear is very tall, taller than a D606. If you've gone with taller gearing, run a longer chain by 2 links (most recommend 110L with 13/46 for example, with a MT43 run 112L) or it will rub on the front of the swingarm.

I've used it twice, the first lasted 3000 mile and had worn down to about 1/8" of tread left. The second chunked at 500 miles and was sent back as a warranty defect. They continue to grip until the tread is gone.
Thanks for the excellent reply... just what I was hoping for!

I'm running a 13/47 now with a 112 and am to within a half inch of the rear of the adjustment slot for the axle, so I'm guessing it will clear fine. That's something I hadn't even considered, so thanks for the heads up!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #23253
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Hey Machtig, totally enjoying your video from your TAT ride... thanks for taking the time to post up video.. it's time consuming but really helps bring us along for the ride

thanks bro!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #23254
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Hey Machtig, totally enjoying your video from your TAT ride... thanks for taking the time to post up video.. it's time consuming but really helps bring us along for the ride

thanks bro!
I got more on the way!
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #23255
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Heidenau K60 Tyre Update...

Thought you might like to see what Heidenau K60s look like on a WR250R. I have a giantloop with ortlieb bag on the rack and the luggage weight is less than 25kg fully packed.

This is the 90/90 front tyre after 9,900miles of tarmac across Europe, Iran and Central Asia..

This is the 120/90 front tyre after those same 9,900miles...

Conclusions:
The front IS noisy and should be run backwards
They are cheap here in Europe (GBP87 for a SET)
They give great road holding and encourage good lean angles on my R
They lack the proper drive of a knobblie tyre offroad but maintain control offroad when laden
These tyres DO need to be balanced. They needed a fair bit of weight to balance.

They are a versatile choice for long journeys where it's mostly tarmac/piste with a little rough stuff.

Any questions?
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #23256
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
Note that madisonreids fuel mileage of 68mpg is on the high end of the reported mpg range. I used to get that with the stock gearing on very easy country road cruises going 45mph in 5th or 6th gear.
Hey Chadx... I read all the semi-sniping, but I'll give my input anyways (perhaps because I'm just so damned pleased to have sorted out all my gremlins).

Intro:
I found out why my swingarm got eaten (more on that later), and I also think it related to why my mileage took a nosedive late last fall, which I posted here about but which went unanswered. Anyways...

A nice fresh set of Trailwings on a stock '08 WRR, no mods other than assorted pieces of bike armour. And a nice fresh set of Primary Drive sprockies and chain - 14/49. With me and the Giant Loop aboard, load is about 220 lbs all up. Gas is non-ethanol 89 octane. Ride was up to see if Gray Creek Pass is open yet for all the impatient ones - it isn't. 143 miles in total, of which about 40 would be slab at highway speeds, 50 would be well-surfaced gravel industrial road, 50 would be rougher two track with loose rock and washboard and all that good stuff, and 3 miles would have been trying to push through the *&#$%@ alders, before a ray of sanity returned and I accepted defeat and bailed on that shyte. When you lose your balance and bail, drop the bike, and it doesn't make it to the ground, you know the alders are trying to tell you something...

All readings via GPS (but my odo is also dialed in thanks to 12 o'clock...). Moving average speed came out to about 31 mph. Altitude profile was back and forth between 3000' and about 6000' a few times - the snow put an end to going any higher.

I think that qualifies as a fairly representative dual sport ride.

I am your basic motorcycle tourist with a DSLR and fly rod, out to take in the mountains. So I'm generally not on the gas on dirt roads, don't roost out of corners or try and back it in, generally don't do gnarly single track, etc. I'm there for the view. I don't putt around like it's a Honda Trail 90, but what I'm saying is that I'm not on the gas all the time rowing through the gears.

Anyways... the results. It had just coughed once for lack of fuel as I arrived home - probably could have gotten a few more kilometers if I had run it dry out of curiosity, but I just needed a general idea of what my range would be with the new sprockies as I was told mileage would suffer. Not so:

3.32 litres per 100 km
70.87 mpg US
85.12 mpg Imperial

Yamaha estimates it in their advertising at 71 mpg, so whaddya know!

That is probably in reach for most people trying to guess at what to expect - assuming their bike is set up like mine and they ride somewhat similar to how I ride. Those who ride more aggressively, have performance mods, etc will have to look at somebody else to guestimate what their mileage will be.

Some don't care, but around here it can be a Loooonnnnggggg way between gas stations...

I appreciate all who post any info; I'm adult enough to sort through info for myself. Stuff like mileage results, it gives your information context if you also give the bike setup, riding conditions, and how you ride. Krabill's "go like your hair is on fire" style of riding produces very different results than what I get.

Now to get around to explaining the Magic BB and maybe posting some pics of the ride...
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #23257
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 709
14/49 Sprockets w/112 link chain

BTW, I REALLY like the 14/49 combo. I swear it feels smoother than the stockers I have been using, but that might just be me after having the bike parked for a while on my gremlin hunt. The gears now feel 'right" for dual sport riding in the Rockies. I will probably be a little disappointed on my next slab commute to Whitefish, at least in the mileage department, but maybe not. Unless something nasty happens down the road, I think 14/49 is the setup for my kind of riding.

One thing worth mentioning. The keeper on the master link that came with the Primary Drive chain had no spring to it - it was dead soft, and simply spread apart when I seated it. Dead soft; very malleable. And the package the master link came in was short an o-ring as well. Fortunately, I had ordered a spare master link, so I was still in business. And Rocky Mtn ATV said they would have a replacement in the mail the same day; all is well.

The moral of THAT story is to make sure backup masterlinks that go on trips fit and function properly before the trip. Instead of assuming "Well, it's in the factory wrap, must be fine!"
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:01 PM   #23258
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by edteamslr View Post
...Any questions?
Yeah! How was the trip, besides wearing out your tyres? How'd the bike hold up? Where's the ride report?

I remember it started off in a bit of panic, hoping you had great ride

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #23259
edteamslr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
To be continued..

Still on the trip in fact. The write up is on my website but I'm going to wait until the end to put together a decent ride report. The bike has been awesome, but then you know that . I've just demolished the 1700km of southern route in Mongolia in less than a week and it was still gettting 3.1Ltr per 100km and hitting the required 50-60mph on the piste with my 14:47 gearing (for hours on end). Yeah, the panic was due to vibration but I cured it with DRZ400 bar end weights and rubber insulation on the footpegs. I've been running it on 80 octane fuel (fuel shortage here still) but mostly we find 92octane (I don't know whether it's RON, MON or PON though) - it didn't miss a beat except for a batch of 6L of dodgy fuel which caused detonating-like behavour at 3000m and went away after I refuelled.

Overall very pleased!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Yeah! How was the trip, besides wearing out your tyres? How'd the bike hold up? Where's the ride report?

I remember it started off in a bit of panic, hoping you had great ride
edteamslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #23260
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post

I did a woods ride Saturday that was continuous slick rocks and fell out of love with my D606s each time my front or rear tire skiddered sideways on a rounded off rock.

Been thinking about trying a set of these for awhile now, but really have never seen any on a bike in my area. They remind me of the old "universal" street/trail tread pattern that came on "enduro" bikes of the early 70s.

For those of you running these, a couple of questions:

How are they on the street?

How many miles do you get from them? I know, everyone's different in where/how they ride, but just trying to get an idea, say compared to D606s.

What pressure do you run on the street? Pressure off-road?

Are you running these F & R. If not, what's a good front mate?

Thanks!
I know exactly what you mean about falling out of love w/ a rear knobby in wet or dry rocks and logs I like to ride pretty aggressive low-speed stuff, and in my experience, the rear MT-43 was a game-changer in those situations. Instead of the slipping & squirming, it simply propels the bike forward with little drama. Even in mud, it does pretty well until things get deep. I will say that in really wet black loam uphills (in springtime/heavy rain), it would spin quite a bit - but I probably should have let the trails dry out better anyway!)

I like it on the street just fine - have hung with sportbikes at the Dragon in NC with a very predictable feel, and commuted quite a bit as well.

I am only running a rear MT43 - keep it at 15psi for commuting, and drop it to 10psi only when I'm doing some VERY nasty wet/uphill/rooted/rocky riding. Otherwise I leave it at 15psi for all other off-roading. It has about 1700 miles (over half of which are street) and is a little over half-worn. The cool thing is, it still provides as great a grip off-road even when the knobs are almost gone

I run a front Dunlop D952 - not street legal, but works perfectly well on the street. A D606 or MT21 might be another good front mate for the MT43 rear.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #23261
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
I know exactly what you mean about falling out of love w/ a rear knobby in wet or dry rocks and logs I like to ride pretty aggressive low-speed stuff, and in my experience, the rear MT-43 was a game-changer in those situations. Instead of the slipping & squirming, it simply propels the bike forward with little drama. Even in mud, it does pretty well until things get deep. I will say that in really wet black loam uphills (in springtime/heavy rain), it would spin quite a bit - but I probably should have let the trails dry out better anyway!)

I like it on the street just fine - have hung with sportbikes at the Dragon in NC with a very predictable feel, and commuted quite a bit as well.

I am only running a rear MT43 - keep it at 15psi for commuting, and drop it to 10psi only when I'm doing some VERY nasty wet/uphill/rooted/rocky riding. Otherwise I leave it at 15psi for all other off-roading. It has about 1700 miles (over half of which are street) and is a little over half-worn. The cool thing is, it still provides as great a grip off-road even when the knobs are almost gone

I run a front Dunlop D952 - not street legal, but works perfectly well on the street. A D606 or MT21 might be another good front mate for the MT43 rear.
Thanks for the info... VERY helpful!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #23262
bpg
Off Trail

no sweat, let me know if you have additional MT-43 questions. I'll definitely be getting another one - love the feeling of forward propulsion they give in the hairy 1st gear/slipping the clutch/twisting uphill rock garden kinda stuff!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM   #23263
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
no sweat, let me know if you have additional MT-43 questions. I'll definitely be getting another one - love the feeling of forward propulsion they give in the hairy 1st gear/slipping the clutch/twisting uphill rock garden kinda stuff!
Like this?
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #23264
bpg
Off Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Like this?
Like that, except narrower (as in not pass-able by anything but a hiker, horse or bike), more turns, wet, and more big trees RIGHT beside the trail...

Hmmm, me-thinks I need to hold a WRR event here in western PA this summer, y'all would love the riding & scenery!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #23265
JHNguyen89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Somewhat of an odd request but I'm curious if anyone would mine letting me try out their bike? I've got a license and have been riding for awhile now of course. Just hoping to get a quick test ride in.

I'm in Union City, CA (Davis, CA works on weekdays for me too).

Can pay, buy you beer, or if you want you can ride my KLX250S!

Thanks!
JHNguyen89 is offline   Reply With Quote