Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #23266
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
this only shows a brief WRR shot, but just a short (& fuzzy) video I shot of a creek crossing about 6 miles from where I grew up in northwestern PA. The guy on the 450EXC had unfortunately tagged a pointy tree branch earlier that morning and was a little off his normal ride...

Great stuff, this trail alone has miles of snotty terrain!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #23267
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
another epic trip in the books for our bike!

Just goes to show you don't need a 500-600lb Adventure bike to get to those faraway places, you just cut the pace back a bit -- if you have the time. I blasted through a lot of those North roads on a big 'ol Triumph Tiger, pushing probably too hard to get it all in, before heading back to pressing work & family. Be nice someday to take trips where you can go long distances, slower, and really let it soak in.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #23268
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,511
I wanna go just to ride that bridge!! Awesome vid, THAT my friends is why I enlisted right there.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #23269
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,900
Had another one of those "where did the road go?" moments on my ride today. 400 miles out and back to Oakland, MD to deposit the MD tag. :)

Right about now I'd be willing to swear that the stock X BT090's are better off-road than the R's TW301/302's. There were a few places I chose to walk due to the size of the rocks (see GSBS's image for an example) but she motored right along. Biggest problem was the stock gearing on the X is a bit long for the trail. Then cruised back on I-68 at 70-75mph smooth as can be.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #23270
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
A nice fresh set of Trailwings on a stock '08 WRR, no mods other than assorted pieces of bike armour. And a nice fresh set of Primary Drive sprockies and chain - 14/49. With me and the Giant Loop aboard, load is about 220 lbs all up. Gas is non-ethanol 89 octane. Ride was up to see if Gray Creek Pass is open yet for all the impatient ones - it isn't. 143 miles in total, of which about 40 would be slab at highway speeds, 50 would be well-surfaced gravel industrial road, 50 would be rougher two track with loose rock and washboard and all that good stuff, and 3 miles would have been trying to push through the *&#$%@ alders, before a ray of sanity returned and I accepted defeat and bailed on that shyte...

3.32 litres per 100 km
70.87 mpg US
85.12 mpg Imperial
And for contrast today, the following day, I went out and put on 100 miles on the slab. About a quarter in town traffic, a quarter being a little more active in a friendly set of local twisties, and the rest just boring along the highway, up and down the hills, at a constant 60 mph by GPS...

4.27 liters per 100 km
55.0 mpg US
66.13 mpg Imperial

Quite a difference between thumping around on a dual sport ride and making time on the slab... that's about a 25% difference in mileage, right there.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #23271
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
I'm anxious to hear what you learned about your swingarm.

Sarah
Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #23272
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
I'm anxious to hear what you learned about your swingarm.

Sarah
Ah yes... sort of like Kilgore Trout: Now It Can Be Told

I will get around to that ASAP. The explanation is short, but needs the time to attach the pics to do it justice. However, for now, what happened will shed no light whatsoever on chains eating swingarms and root causes.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #23273
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Need negotiating knowledge.....08 WR250R brand new on the floor at dealer, what can I get this bike for?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #23274
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
I will get around to that ASAP. The explanation is short,
and earlier:
Quote:
I found out why my swingarm got eaten (more on that later),
We're dying out here, waiting for the story. Don't keep us waiting with teasers like this...
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #23275
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti1 View Post
Need negotiating knowledge.....08 WR250R brand new on the floor at dealer, what can I get this bike for?
Depends. The best I could do was $5600ish OTD a few months ago. They really weren't dealing much due to low availability of new bikes and high gas prices. They didn't have any '11s and it would have taken close to a week for them to get one. I tried several dealers.

The only problem with the '08 was that you take a huge hit on resale. You loose close to $2000 as soon as you leave the dealer. That and the possibility of getting one with a bad fuel pump. The fuel pump issue doesn't bother me and I keep bikes forever so the resale wasn't an issue either.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #23276
Utah Bones
Gas X ready!

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Depends. The best I could do was $5600ish OTD a few months ago. They really weren't dealing much due to low availability of new bikes and high gas prices. They didn't have any '11s and it would have taken close to a week for them to get one. I tried several dealers.

The only problem with the '08 was that you take a huge hit on resale. You loose close to $2000 as soon as you leave the dealer. That and the possibility of getting one with a bad fuel pump. The fuel pump issue doesn't bother me and I keep bikes forever so the resale wasn't an issue either.
Thanks....that was the price I was going to shoot for and I was going to ask them to warranty the fuel pump.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 AM   #23277
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
another epic trip in the books for our bike!
Cool vid - thanks for posting it!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #23278
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti1 View Post
When I was looking for a WR250 a month ago for my girlfriend I found a dealer in MI in Cycle trader that had a new 08 WR250X for $4495. Its not an R but for ~$900 more you could have yourself another set of dirt wheels.

Also the new 2011 Husky TE630s are now going for $5999 in the upper mid-west which is about $3000 off MSRP.. as an alternative

Fast1 screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 10:36 AM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #23279
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Hello all,

I just got done installing my new sprockets and adjusting the chain. I did the "few fingers" method right where the swingarm cuts out for the tire, a little bit forward of the gap between the chain slider and the black top chain cover not shown in the following pictures. More or less at the little mud flap thing that is forward of the tire. I don't have enough hands to show what I was doing but I lifted up on the top section of chain with my fingers on top of the swingarm and slider. The chain is set approx. 2.5 of my fingers from the top of the swingarm, not slider, when the wheel was in the air in the pictures. It seems really loose to me though. From those of you who have completed many adjustments would you say it looks too loose or about right.

I thought the bike was really easy to work on until I ended up trying to deal with the tension and alignment of the chain. I'm not a big fan of these dirt bike style block adjusters. It's nice when the adjusters are actually connected to what holds the axle so it doesn't just slip around. It's a pain trying to set the adjusters while having to constantly push the wheel forward so it is actually up against the adjusters and then sight down for the alignment, so on, so forth. Perhaps someone has a recommendation? I think I'll leave adjustments to wheel on the ground from now on so the damn thing actually stays put. Oh, I also got one of those nifty chain alignment tools. Thought that would make it easy since I've found the string method only seems to work on road tires with the sharp lip at the end of the tread. I don't think I've ever been so stressed over how straight something looked. I settled with "it's close enough" and should I notice strange wear or short life I"ll have to adjust what I consider "close enough."

Anyways, on to the pictures. This is after setting the bike back down onto the ground. It's not resting on the kickstand, I was holding it up with one hand by the end of the handlebars. I had it up on 2 jack stands under the skid plate when I did the adjustment.

I didn't think the chain should be resting on the slider on top so that is where my concern came from. I appreciate any help you gurus can provide.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #23280
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,723
RR has begun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Cool vid - thanks for posting it!
Mark just started their Alaska/Yukon/BC ride report for those interested.. should be a good one.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706559

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote