Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM   #23341
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,122
Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
Thanks for the photo! Looks good!
Other than the "pouch" that fits over the number plate being a bit uhh snug--it fits well. Price is right
Old 07-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #23342
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Well I went for a longer ride with the new gearing and I can say I'm happy with it. I'm still waiting on my new GPS to get in so I can set the speedo correctly but I took a rough guess and it seems to match up well to another vehicle for now.

I did notice some new noises though as I took the ride without earplugs to listen for stuff. First is a buzz like sound when accelerating or holding steady throttle. I noticed it is muffled when my foot is close to the side of the bike at the front sprocket area. When moving the foot away the noise get's louder. I believe this is due to the sandman case saver/sprocket guard which is open vs. the closed stock piece.

Next is a sort of rattling sound but in a knockish tone. I believe this is from the skidplate. This is the first time I've ridden the bike without earplugs and I was surprised how loud it was since I never noticed it much before. Is that the likely culprit? Has anyone found a good way to remove these vibratory rattling knock like sounds using insulation like Plasti-Dip? I know HF did this but I have never heard a result on if it actually deadened the noises.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:40 PM   #23343
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietEagle View Post
As far as I know, the pegs are identical. The only difference is the style of cleats, i.e. 5 is a threaded stud with an allen key hole and the 6 are spikes. It sounds as though you will get both with this deal and then you can decide. I really like the Fastways as the pegs are very comfortable. The 6 cleats will be very aggresive. YMMV.

Yes, I know the pegs are the same setup just with different cleats. They are sending me the F5 cleats for what sound like free with the full F6 setup. I'm not too upset about that since I was curious on how the F6 cleats would feel. I was just wondering if anyone has tried out both cleats and how they felt. The F6 spikes look a bit intense for everyday use. I'm sure boots stick to them nicely though. I know the F5 studs have received good reviews on grip and comfort so I'll probably stick to those.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #23344
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
The F6 spikes look a bit intense for everyday use.
I have the F5s. To me it looks like the 6s would chew up a rubber soled boot pretty quick.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #23345
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Michelin Desert rear tire mounted

Got this bad boy mounted. Looks real good if you ask me. It is a heavy son of a gun at 15.9 lbs and the tube is another 4 lbs 15oz. But the 14/50 gearing should pull it just fine.

Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #23346
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post
It is a heavy son of a gun at 15.9 lbs and the tube is another 4 lbs 15oz. But the 14/50 gearing should pull it just fine.

I would think that with all that extra height you may want to make it 13/50. Considering the 120/90 606 is taller than the stock tire and you showed how much taller the Desert is than the 130 606, a 14/50 setup is probably close to stock gearing with that beast on there. Not in the mood to do all the math but just taking a rough guesstimate.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #23347
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
D606 vs Michelin Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machtig View Post
Got this bad boy mounted. Looks real good if you ask me. It is a heavy son of a gun at 15.9 lbs and the tube is another 4 lbs 15oz.
How did that compare to weight of that big D606 you had on there?
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #23348
Machtig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrobinette View Post
How did that compare to weight of that big D606 you had on there?
Lets find out. Stand by.

Slightly worn 130/90-18 Dunlop 606 weighs 13.9 lbs. Probably over 14lbs new. So at 15.9lbs the Deserts are ~2lbs heavier than the big daddy 606.
Machtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #23349
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Eh? What's wrong with this picture?

Just a reminder to everyone to peen the little divot when you change your sprocket...

Not sure when I lost the nut, but the sprocket fell off its splines downshifting at 120km/h on a corner. All the sudden no transmission... Coasted to a stop and took the following pic. Can't believe the washer didn't fall off.

Very thankful that I was not 200 miles from the nearest town in the Spatzisi wilderness (like I will be in two weeks.) And that the Yamaha dealer was only 40 miles away and open. They didn't have one is stock and said it would take a week to get one in, but I sweet-talked the parts man into pulling a nut off the new R2 they had on the floor .

Hitched a ride into the city and back, borrowed 2 wrenches and a socket and we were back in business. Oh and I looked at my swingarm protector while the chain was off: 9000km and hardly groved. Chain looks like it's rubbing somewhere though.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #23350
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Creek View Post
[...]
Oh and I looked at my swingarm protector while the chain was off: 9000km and hardly groved. Chain looks like it's rubbing somewhere though.
Same experience for me, chain started to look like it would be rubbing somewhere, exactly as shown in your picture. 3000km later chain was done. Completely. Within a very short period of time it had got stretched very much, ripping of the lower front part of the plastic swingarm protector (which looks fine in your picture), groving into swingarm and wearing out the chain block insert, even slightly damaging the supermoto tire.
I had 12500km on it, and my WR actually is in pretty good service.

Consider changing your stock chain to somewhat better quality _before_ this happens to you!
Kind regards, Phil
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #23351
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,269
rear suspension adjusting

Thread is done with vids uploaded. Post 23371.

Its also linked in my signature now.

Next, when I get a chance, I'll do a vid on setting SAG. That should probably be done before making the other adjustments.

Hope the post helps any who needed it.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #23352
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,000
well so far the fuel consumption for my WR has been.....currently running it in so no more than 3/4 throttle

25 km/liter = 58.80 miles/gallon(US) mostly Dirt with some road (130km day ride)

and boring highway riding to work at no more than 90-95km/h(55-59M/h)

30 km/liter = 70.56 miles/gallon(US)

gearing is standard the tyre's are MT21's standard sizes distance's are known distances so no need for odometer readings

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #23353
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,345
Sag ..

Hey Doug ...

Thanks for your time ... I need to set my SAG - will be looking for your vid ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thread is done with vids uploaded. Post 23371.

Its also linked in my signature now.

Next, when I get a chance, I'll do a vid on setting SAG. That should probably be done before making the other adjustments.

Hope the post helps any who needed it.
'12 NC700X
GsVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #23354
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsVs View Post
Hey Doug ...

Thanks for your time ... I need to set my SAG - will be looking for your vid ...
No problem...glad I can give back.

If a buddy comes over..since its a two man job..tonight, I am gonna mess with mine. I have lost ~ 30 lbs over last three months, so its needing a reset.

Not that is matters that much. A buddy just sent me a vid of a recent ride..even with settings maxed out...my rear end is off ground as much as it is on. I am taking out shock and sending out for rebuild by end of month.

These bikes are great...their suspensions are the compromise....at least for anyone wanting to ride it like my buddies and I do.
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #23355
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
No problem...glad I can give back.

If a buddy comes over..since its a two man job..tonight, I am gonna mess with mine. I have lost ~ 30 lbs over last three months, so its needing a reset.

Not that is matters that much. A buddy just sent me a vid of a recent ride..even with settings maxed out...my rear end is off ground as much as it is on. I am taking out shock and sending out for rebuild by end of month.

These bikes are great...their suspensions are the compromise....at least for anyone wanting to ride it like my buddies and I do.
Thanks Doug.. I think your vids will help out a lot of folks.. sometimes its just a matter of seeing the adjustments made and removes the fear to go tinker with it. That's what I'll be doing...

I'll add a post to my site for these goodies too.. looking forward to Part 2 - Sag!!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote