User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #23356
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
grand canyon ride report, 6/2011

I finally finished our grand canyon ride report.. we did it in june, but i've been lazy & haven't written everything up. Anyway, here it is.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694584

rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #23357
Crooked Creek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatboarder View Post
Same experience for me, chain started to look like it would be rubbing somewhere, exactly as shown in your picture. 3000km later chain was done. Completely. Within a very short period of time it had got stretched very much, ripping of the lower front part of the plastic swingarm protector (which looks fine in your picture), groving into swingarm and wearing out the chain block insert, even slightly damaging the supermoto tire.
I had 12500km on it, and my WR actually is in pretty good service.

Consider changing your stock chain to somewhat better quality _before_ this happens to you!
Kind regards, Phil
Thanks for the tip Phil! Can anyone else chime in with how long they went on the stock chain??? I'm going on a long (4000 maybe 5000 km) trip in a week. It's not (just) that I'm a cheapskate, but finding a chain and sprockets locally in a week might be a real issue. I know the smart thing to to would be get a new chain and sprockets, but just want a reasonable assessment of the risk. There are no towns that would have a chain along my route, but I could divert into Prince George at some time if I had to.

Relevent info:

- Bought the bike with this summer with 6300km on it from OP. Bike still had the Trailwings on it and it looked like he had taken very good care of the chain. Sprockets had minimal wear.

- I put 3000 km on the last few weeks, some of it being the hard on the chain type (sand, mud.) I have not been as nice to the chain as the OP, but have lubed it. Put a 12 tooth front sprocket on about 2000km ago. Rear sprocket still looks great.

- I ride aggressively, but am a very skinny little man.

That all said, if someone wants to sell me a hardly used stock (or otherwise) chain, I would gladly do that.
Canada's Best Kept Secret: 500 km from the nearest paved road here
Crooked Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #23358
Oblivion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwbyu82 View Post
I commute everyday so this is gonna make leaving and ariving so nice. No more fumbling for the remote in a pocket/bag or stopping and using the keypad.
*LIKE*
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #23359
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
I finally finished our grand canyon ride report.. we did it in june, but i've been lazy & haven't written everything up. Anyway, here it is.
Good Stuff Scotty!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #23360
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,187

Strega finished up the artwork for the rear of this year's Festivial of Beers and Bluesapalooza Core Club ride shirts.......placing the order on the way home from work tonight.......are you "in"?

If so please register ASAP (because I won't be ordering many extra T's - thanks) : http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/8

Shirt front:

Shirt rear:

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #23361
Oblivion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thread is done with vids uploaded. Post 23371.

Its also linked in my signature now.

Next, when I get a chance, I'll do a vid on setting SAG. That should probably be done before making the other adjustments.

Hope the post helps any who needed it.
Thanks for the work, man. That preload/sag one is the one I'm really after (though I DO appreciate the others).
Old 07-15-2011, 10:34 AM   #23362
mcwbyu82
WRR'er

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
*LIKE*
Thanks! I am way happy with it. Tested it out in my real world situations and it works from far enough away that I dont have to slow down anymore than I would normally. Door is fully open by the time I get to it and just ride right in
mcwbyu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #23363
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
a sort of rattling sound but in a knockish tone. I believe this is from the skidplate. This is the first time I've ridden the bike without earplugs and I was surprised how loud it was since I never noticed it much before. Is that the likely culprit? Has anyone found a good way to remove these vibratory rattling knock like sounds using insulation like Plasti-Dip? I know HF did this but I have never heard a result on if it actually deadened the noises.
Anyone have input on successful deadening of skid plate reverberation using the coating method and rubber washers between the plate and frame?
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #23364
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime

Oddometer: 6,651
Quote:
Anyone have input on successful deadening of skid plate reverberation using the coating method and rubber washers between the plate and frame?
I have some rubber material I am going to stick between the frame rails and the skid plate...but have not gotten around to doing it yet. I have two stuck screws to deal with first..but no need to mess with them until its time for an oil change.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #23365
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,047
Quote:
I used nylon washers w/o coating. Seems to work.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #23366
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Bicycle inner tubes:
http://rickramsey.net/WR250Rmods.htm#skidplate
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #23367
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
Nice!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #23368
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Thumb Offroad adventure #2

Well today was the second time I got little Rē offroad. I went back to the trail system connected to the backyard. I decided to do a few things differently.

First, not ride like I'm at a MX track and hug the tank. I went to an open stance and leaned back a bit over all the sections of rocks. Worked a treat as I never went down but had many times when I thought I would as the bike bounced around underneath me.

Second, well actually I think that was all I did differently. Oh ya. Now I remember. I decided to not approach it like I used to offroad in my old Jeep up in Alaska. That method was crawling around at slow speed picking lines to make it over/around/through whatever obstacle was present. Today on the bike was just pick a line quickly and go for it. If I crashed I crashed. I was lucky not too but boy was it bouncy. I may have been helped by the fact is was much dryer than the last time. I feel like it may be time to soften up the suspension a bit though. I doubt I used up 1/2 of the travel at any point and I'm not blitzing over stuff yet at crazy high speed so it probably doesn't need to be too stiff. I was in first gear the whole time.

The downside to these trails is they are all overgrown as they haven't been used in a very long time. I think it may be time to start doing some clearing. There are many big logs blocking sections which I would have loved to try some over the log action but they still have tons of branches. I have no need for piercings. I also had a couple loose branches get caught up on the bike a few times and had to stop to pull them off. All in all I was in the wood for maybe 15 minutes. It sure felt a lot longer though. I am still out of shape but this seems a fun way to work myself back into shape. I will say I am happy with the weight of the bike though. It's "easy enough" to move it around to reposition at times when I didn't feel I could ride out of the position I was in. It could sure still use some more weight shaved off.

Well I'm still at the realization that I'm a terrible offroad rider. I need to learn a technique that gets me over objects the rear tire like to dig a hole in front of rather than grab and climb. I suppose it could be that I'm still using the Trailwings but they do not like to grab onto rocks that can't be rolled over at slow speed.

So on to the big question. Has anyone used the chainsaw carrier plate for the Pro Moto Billet rack? I have the rack on the way and figured it may be a more enjoyable way to clear the trails than just walking.

I just came up with question #2. How is one supposed to support their body weight on the bike when riding offroad? From my road racing experience it's using the pegs and the tank to keep the handlebars "weightless" through turns and only have them weighted under hard braking. This is what led me to try and ride in that "MX" style, up on the tank. I found with the open stance I have to weight the bars in a pulling or pushing manner depending on where I shift my body weight. Since I'm not squeezing the bike the only support I have from the legs is vertical and the handlebars seem the only way to get horizontal stability. This can be unnerving at times as the bars are whacking back and forth as they go from one rock to another and I'm trying to hold myself on them but also not influence them and allow them to do as they please.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.

bhd1223 screwed with this post 07-15-2011 at 01:53 PM
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #23369
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
...I just came up with question #2. How is one supposed to support their body weight on the bike when riding offroad? From my road racing experience it's using the pegs and the tank...
Be careful where you look for advice--the free stuff here is worth exactly that I've seen some "advice" in other threads that makes me cringe...

Look for some offroad classes in your area--check the local AMA clubs & tracks, there are often introductory classes. There are some decent books too.

I will say--

Momentum is your friend (don't ride like a jeep--there's no pull, it's all push, and when there's little traction momentum takes over).
Support yourself on pegs and tank just like roadracing even though your butt is off the seat, keep your elbows up and wide and loose. Let the bike move underneath you.
Look ahead.
Practice small things, like riding in as tight a circle as possible, as slow as possible, without taking your feet off the pegs.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #23370
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post

Strega finished up the artwork for the rear of this year's Festivial of Beers and Bluesapalooza Core Club ride shirts.......placing the order on the way home from work tonight.......are you "in"?

If so please register ASAP (because I won't be ordering many extra T's - thanks) : http://crawdadoffroadevents.com/core-calendar/view/8

Shirt front:

Shirt rear:

I wanted to do this and was concocting a way to make it happen, but I fractured my lower humerous last week... maybe next year
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote