User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #23461
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
We have ignition!

Massive thank yous to What Broke Now and MoBill for sending me their working pumps, What Broke Now's arrived first and is my WRX's new heart. RUFJeep also offered up his broken pumps frame, thank you as well.

This is such a wonderful community and I'm proud to be associated with you guys.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #23462
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
New O ring???
I'll try that. Thanks

D
Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #23463
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Removing stock turn signals. Someone know what torque settings to use when re-tightening those top fork clamps? Thanks.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #23464
Sproat Sport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Roger that. Thanks.
Sproat Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #23465
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
In case you want to download the online manual:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2...service-manual

Sarah
Old 07-22-2011, 07:20 AM   #23466
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post

Sarah
I'm surprised this continues to come up as a good solution. Just buy the 'damn service manual,' and use it. Or, if you don't want to spend $70 once on a service manual, take it to a mechanic and pay $70/hour.

Just a reminder:
"Copyright Issues

We take this stuff seriously.

Do not post copyrighted material. Links to service manuals, illegal .mp3 downloads, etc. will be deleted, and you will be banned."

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"

HardWorkingDog screwed with this post 07-22-2011 at 04:13 PM Reason: fixed trademark reference
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #23467
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,860
CO mode vs programmer, revisited

Took a tuning ride yesterday and played with CO mode and the FMF programmer settings. I set the programmer's fueling options where everyone else basically does (3 5 1 8 4 4) and left my CO mode at its adjusted setting. It ran horribly off idle, but fantastically everywhere else. Using the programmer really smoothed out the mid range and top end. I adjusted the CO mode back from +12 to +2 (still up from its stock -2 setting) and it ran immediately better at throttle tip in.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #23468
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t2...service-manual

Sarah
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
I'm surprised this continues to come up as a good solution. Just buy the damn manual, and use it. Or, if you don't want to spend $70 once on a service manual, take it to a mechanic and pay $70/hour.

Just a reminder:
"Copyright Issues

We take this stuff seriously.

Do not post copyrighted material. Links to service manuals, illegal .mp3 downloads, etc. will be deleted, and you will be banned."

I'm surprised that you are surprised. Far too many shops don't have a decent service department and I for one like having a manual on a thumb drive in case it's needed by whoever is working on the bike. Break down away from a Yamaha dealer and see if the local mechanic appreciates the info.

Of course I could be wrong.......
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #23469
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
I'm surprised that you are surprised. Far too many shops don't have a decent service department and I for one like having a manual on a thumb drive in case it's needed by whoever is working on the bike. Break down away from a Yamaha dealer and see if the local mechanic appreciates the info...
You're arguing that a service manual is useful when working on the bike? No disagreement there.

Not that I think I'll ever change anyone's mind by trying to lay out a rational argument on the interwebs, but here goes a good waste of heartbeats...

The typical scenario I see played out here is: noob posts "I don't have the specs. on whatever. Someone eventually posts a reply which involves going against the explicit rules of the nice guy who hosts this site, and, without getting too far into the mine field that is copyright law, is most likely aiding and abetting the noob to do something illegal.

I put a high value on personal responsibility, and for me the most responsible solution is to just buy, and use, the damn service manual (note; 'damn service manual' is a registered trademark, c. 2011 by HWD).

And, I actually like using the paper manual...

'nuff said

Old 07-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #23470
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
I just happened to look a couple of days ago, so I don't know how long it's been posted (hadn't seen it here yet)..... Sargent finally set a price for their WR seat. $350

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #23471
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
You're arguing that a service manual is useful when working on the bike? No disagreement there.

Not that I think I'll ever change anyone's mind by trying to lay out a rational argument on the interwebs, but here goes a good waste of heartbeats...

The typical scenario I see played out here is: noob posts "I don't have the specs. on whatever. Someone eventually posts a reply which involves going against the explicit rules of the nice guy who hosts this site, and, without getting too far into the mine field that is copyright law, is most likely aiding and abetting the noob to do something illegal.

I put a high value on personal responsibility, and for me the most responsible solution is to just buy, and use, the damn service manual (note; 'damn service manual' is a registered trademark, c. 2011 by HWD).

And, I actually like using the paper manual...

'nuff said
I do agree with you on not violating the forum rules and posting a link to copyrighted material. I just removed a whole this side that side argument as it was long and nobody on either side is going to change their opinion.

I suppose the rule issue could be argued as the link is to another forum. The material on that forum is subject that forums rules, not this forums. Perhaps a less direct link could even offset that more.

I will however say that after purchasing my R used I tried to obtain a service and owners manual. Dealership said they couldn't get them. I tried for a little over a week and they told me they were discontinued and they didn't expect to be able to get them again. I made the effort to do it the right way but was turned away. I'm not paying someone for an illegal copy so I turn to free sources.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #23472
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
...I will however say that after purchasing my R used I tried to obtain a service and owners manual. Dealership said they couldn't get them. I tried for a little over a week and they told me they were discontinued and they didn't expect to be able to get them again. I made the effort to do it the right way but was turned away...
Wow. Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. You can order both, in stock, directly from the Yamaha USA website. Can't give you a link to the specific page (they're using some cruddy javascript system) but here's the link where you put in year and model.

http://www.yamahapubs.com/index.do?pg=search&category=3

(I get a 10% commission from Yamaha Japan for every 'damn service manual' sold.)

Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #23473
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Wow. Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. You can order both, in stock, directly from the Yamaha USA website. Can't give you a link to the specific page (they're using some cruddy javascript system) but here's the link where you put in year and model.

http://www.yamahapubs.com/index.do?pg=search&category=3

(I get a 10% commission from Yamaha Japan for every 'damn service manual' sold.)

Thanks for the link. I have wanted a hard copy so I may pick one up even though I already have it. Unfortunately the dealer is kind of terrible but they are the only option for Kawi and Yamaha within something like 90 minutes. There used to be a Kawi place down the road but they closed up very shortly after I bought a bike from them.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #23474
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Quote:
...Unfortunately the dealer is kind of terrible but they are the only option for Kawi and Yamaha within something like 90 minutes...
Give an out of state dealer a shot. There are some really good ones who can actually handle putting the correct parts in a box and shipping it to the correct address .

My local dealer--Mach 1 Motorsports--is one of the best. They'd love your business. Carl and Lee and newguy Brandon will do a great job for you.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #23475
YZEtc
Feel lucky?

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
I will however say that after purchasing my R used I tried to obtain a service and owners manual. Dealership said they couldn't get them. I tried for a little over a week and they told me they were discontinued and they didn't expect to be able to get them again.
Sounds like you're dealing with a rookie, or at least somebody who doesn't know how to order Yamaha Owner's Manuals and Service Manuals.

Just tell the guy that he doesn't order a Yamaha manual through the Yamaha parts warehouses like he would a clutch plate.
Tell him it's done through Crestec, the place that actually prints and distributes the manuals for Yamaha.
YZEtc is offline   Reply With Quote