Two Brothers Racing can on mine....
thirdcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #23552
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdcoaster View Post
I run 100LL that I buy at my little local municipal airport. Currently $5.30 per gallon. I run it in all my bikes (including the WR250X) to avoid ethanol. I also use it in my chainsaw, week wacker, lawn mower, outboard motor, and '72 Chevelle. It is low lead fuel, so don't run it in anything with a catalytic converter. The ethanol in pump gas absorbs so much water here in humid South Texas, that it causes lots of problems.

At sea level, I have to jet or program for a richer mixture than normal when running the 100LL. My seat-of-the-pants dyno does not notice any power increase when going from pump gas to Av-gas. My hot-rod Chevelle likes the extra octane and I can be a little more liberal with the timing, but none of my bikes are high-compression, so the octane is really irrelevant in them.

I hear that a local station is going to start carrying non-ethanol contaminated gasoline, so I will be filling the bike there if it's true.
If you want hotter fuel, Sunoco GTX is 98 and the AMA Pro spec fuel. I buy it in 5 gallon pails for an R6. You have to contact Sunoco Race Fuels to learn their distribution. I buy mine trackside or from a gas station about 30 miles away. Sunoco GT is 100, but oxygenated. Prolly don't want that in your trailbike.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #23553
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
If you want hotter fuel, Sunoco GTX is 98 and the AMA Pro spec fuel. I buy it in 5 gallon pails for an R6. You have to contact Sunoco Race Fuels to learn their distribution. I buy mine trackside or from a gas station about 30 miles away. Sunoco GT is 100, but oxygenated. Prolly don't want that in your trailbike.
What's the price per gallon for the GTX? I don't really need a super high performance fuel, just a non-ethanol premium would suit my needs. Of course, that sweet smell of 100LL when it burns is worth a few cents per gallon!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #23554
treybrad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Not anymore

Two Brothers Racing can on mine....
Oh, cheater

trey
Old 07-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #23555
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,113
Quote:
What's the price per gallon for the GTX? I don't really need a super high performance fuel, just a non-ethanol premium would suit my needs. Of course, that sweet smell of 100LL when it burns is worth a few cents per gallon!
Mind you we don't use race fuels in street bikes, but the 5 gallon pails of GTX cost $65 and trackside is generally about $10/gal out of a pump.

I might add that our race bikes are mapped for the 98. Not sure it means much, though. A stock R6 makes about 100hp at the rear wheel. The fuel and pipe brings it up to about 107 for ours. The motor build and related kit electronics pops that number to about 120hp for us. The top teams get another 10hp above that or more (or so they say).

Seems sort of futile on a 250cc commuter motor...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #23556
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Seems sort of futile on a 250cc commuter motor...
Agreed...I'll keep paying $5.30/gal until some non-ethanol premium is available locally. I'm just glad the little WR gets 50+ mpg
Old 07-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #23557
Chadx
Off the road again..

Oddometer: 2,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBikeman View Post
Is this the trailstand one of the inmates makes or another one? If possible please post the info to acquire one as I need to get one.
Thanks,
theBikeman

The one I have (shown in the pic I posted) is the aluminum version of the motojack from inmate FDKLR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877
Chadx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #23558
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
soooooooooo......you saying the 10% ethanol doesn't make a difference in the power output....

Will I get less power from using Ethanol in my car or truck?

check your PM, don't want to upset anyone.

rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #23559
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest View Post
I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm thinking about selling my plated XR650R and getting a WR250R. I like the idea of better fuel mileage, longer service intervals etc... Is there any WRR owners in Calgary or elsewhere in Alberta who would be interested in trading beer for a short test ride? Id like to see if I'd be happy with the power.
There's a guy in the Crowsnest Pass with a WRR. Blairmore, I think. You'll find him over on the WRR forum; don't know if he hangs here. And a couple of people just inside the BC border.

Must be a few WRR's around Calgary/Lethbridge/Edmonton.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #23560
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx View Post
The one I have (shown in the pic I posted) is the aluminum version of the motojack from inmate FDKLR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877
I have been hemming and hawing on getting something like this. For 2 reasons I've not: 1- I've been on the GSA for most all of my trips to date (has a center stand), and 2- I've always figured I'd get lucky and just have a tree stump/rock/whatever to prop the bike up.

Now that I'm planning a bit more with the little bike especially when we get back to the states, I should probably do it.

This thread is ridiculous, there've been like 3 pages of posts in the past 2 days!

I'm still back in the 900s getting caught up...
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 PM   #23561
Daryl D
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
I run 100LL that I buy at my little local municipal airport. Currently $5.30 per gallon. I run it in all my bikes (including the WR250X) to avoid ethanol. I also use it in my chainsaw, week wacker, lawn mower, outboard motor, and '72 Chevelle. It is low lead fuel, so don't run it in anything with a catalytic converter. The ethanol in pump gas absorbs so much water here in humid South Texas, that it causes lots of problems.

At sea level, I have to jet or program for a richer mixture than normal when running the 100LL. My seat-of-the-pants dyno does not notice any power increase when going from pump gas to Av-gas. My hot-rod Chevelle likes the extra octane and I can be a little more liberal with the timing, but none of my bikes are high-compression, so the octane is really irrelevant in them.

I hear that a local station is going to start carrying non-ethanol contaminated gasoline, so I will be filling the bike there if it's true.
Just a thought about using Av gas 100 LL. It has way more lead in it than any leaded auto fuel you could buy in the past. I know its says 100LL (low lead) but it is not.
I use it in my plane but its because that engine requires it. If you have not done specific research on the potential problems using leaded gas it would be a good idea.
Daryl D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #23562
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl D View Post
Just a thought about using Av gas 100 LL. It has way more lead in it than any leaded auto fuel you could buy in the past. I know its says 100LL (low lead) but it is not.
I use it in my plane but its because that engine requires it. If you have not done specific research on the potential problems using leaded gas it would be a good idea.
+1 Wouldn't recommend running 100LL (Avgas) in the WRR. Significant lead content....I know, cause I used to make it as a refinery engineer. This 4-stroke WRR motor is designed for unleaded fuel.

Its ok in a pinch. I mean, if it will burn, it will run....whether its methane, ethane, propane, butane, naptha, alcohol, or whiskey. The question becomes how well, for how long, with what consequences? Stick with unleaded fuel.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #23563
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,188
ok, great responses from all.

Thanks for the info everybody.

I think I'll stick with the standard Premium fuel, and just loose some weight by working out more often.... Less overall weight should help with keeping up the speed......
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #23564
Bee
Ride On Brother

Oddometer: 108
Question Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Wow. Sounds like you need to find a new dealer. You can order both, in stock, directly from the Yamaha USA website. Can't give you a link to the specific page (they're using some cruddy javascript system) but here's the link where you put in year and model.

http://www.yamahapubs.com/index.do?pg=search&category=3

(I get a 10% commission from Yamaha Japan for every 'damn service manual' sold.)
Can someone tell me which model number to use when ordering from this site? I don't see a simple WR250R listed nor do I see WR25RX(C) which is the other number on my Owner's Manual.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #23565
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Can someone tell me which model number to use when ordering from this site? I don't see a simple WR250R listed nor do I see WR25RX(C) which is the other number on my Owner's Manual.
Yeah, that list is a mouthful of letters and numbers. Looks like you have an '08? The service manual is the same part number for all models and years 2008-2011, WR250R and WR250X, California and 49-state: LIT-11616-21-66

I like to play "figure out the code" on these things...normally Yamaha uses a letter suffix to designate model year, so the "X" in your model number indicates 2008; Y is 2009, Z is 2010 and they rolled over to A for 2011 (the model number Chadx gave you is for a 2011, it'll still work for the service manual...)

I'm pretty sure the "(C)" in your model number means it's a California-legal model. Does is (or did it) have a charcoal canister bolted in front of the engine? The other way to tell is on the right side swingarm, should have a sticker saying it meets California emissions standards somewhere in all the fine print...

They've stuck an "L" in the model numbers on the ordering page...have no idea what that signifies.

So, back to your question Under 2008 year, you'd select "WR25RXLC" and you'd be offered a Service Manual LIT-11616-21-66.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote