ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #23776
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
I'll say it, "You're frikkin' nuts, Chris!!!"
There was ample profanity coming across the radio from the 5 guys behind me....."WTF kinda trail is this.......Crawford you're a ______ " (insert pretty much anything here) .........That said, I think they're all looking forward to going back and hitting it again......
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #23777
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: California
Oddometer: 785
Ha! Nice trail...that's like the kind of trails I mostly ride....of course, I also have loose and arthritic SI joints from the couple of times I found things not going as planned....still the challenge is the fun, what better way to spend time, eh? At least that trail doesn't have trees below that stop the fall in an overly abrupt manner.
__________________
the true tragedy of our times -
human overpopulation is destroying the 2-stroke
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #23778
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...
 
Buzzbomber's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Betwixt Heaven and Hell
Oddometer: 1,233
AMS fender rack question

I ordered the small "triangle" rack from Automotive Machine yesterday. Asked about bolt length, was told 'every bike varies'. Not too worried about that though, seems like a CYA statement and I'm pretty sure M6x70mm will work. However, I forgot to ask if the mount holes are countersunk or not, so I need to know whether to order flat head (countersunk) or buttonhead bolts. Anybody with one of these "triangle" racks want to enlighten me? Their website shows different hardware on the different racks, so I want to confirm how they were actually drilled.
Buzzbomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #23779
NeilW
SomeAssemblyRequired
 
NeilW's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 88
great vid

Nice find on this video! Being professionally done, you'd think it might be for a commercial, but it's way to good to be a commercial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Just for the hell of it.

__________________
aka Boondocker
Uncommonly Sensible
Goler Canyon ride
'08 WR250R
2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
NeilW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #23780
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: California
Oddometer: 785
Even on relatively smooth roads, notice those factory-paid guys don't dare put their butts down on the seat at speed! They know all about the stock rear shock and what it can doooooo....LOL....
__________________
the true tragedy of our times -
human overpopulation is destroying the 2-stroke
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #23781
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
I ordered the small "triangle" rack from Automotive Machine yesterday. Asked about bolt length, was told 'every bike varies'. Not too worried about that though, seems like a CYA statement and I'm pretty sure M6x70mm will work. However, I forgot to ask if the mount holes are countersunk or not, so I need to know whether to order flat head (countersunk) or buttonhead bolts. Anybody with one of these "triangle" racks want to enlighten me? Their website shows different hardware on the different racks, so I want to confirm how they were actually drilled.
M6 X 70 flat heads:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#92125a258/=dk95oc

92125A258
Metric 18-8 SS Flat Head Socket Cap Screw M6 Size, 70mm Length, 1.00mm Pitch
In stock at $7.76 per Pack
This product is sold in Packs of 5


Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
Nice find on this video! Being professionally done, you'd think it might be for a commercial, but it's way to good to be a commercial.
Just found random searching youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Even on relatively smooth roads, notice those factory-paid guys don't dare put their butts down on the seat at speed! They know all about the stock rear shock and what it can doooooo....LOL....
I actually like riding more standing than sitting...better control of bike when it starts sliding..especially with those crappy stock tires.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #23782
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer
 
rydnseek's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Here's a video one of the riders shot....it's from the bottom of the gorge up to the rock that juts out in the trail.......I was leading the group......you can hear me on the radio once I reached the rock saying, "the risk/reward isn't there for me......I'm walking it around this rock" ........the trail goes another ~half mile from there and eventually turns up right above the gorge......

http://vimeo.com/27514516

Too scary for me! Although it does remind me a bit of a trail i took in Montana above yellowstone a few years back.. yankee jim canyon. It turned into a mt. bike trail, but since i was alone, i turned around so i could live to ride another day.

very cool, though. Your radios are a cool idea, too.. a way to keep in communication.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #23783
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydnseek View Post
Your radios are a cool idea, too.. a way to keep in communication.
GPS and Radios are a big part of the ride experience for me......I like to keep track of where I'm riding so I can go back with others......or make a note to not bother with a certain trail(s).........the radios allow us to really string out on the trail so everyone can ride relatively "dust free".......they're also handy for pointing out upcoming stops, obstacles, riders......
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #23784
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bhd1223's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
GPS and Radios are a big part of the ride experience for me......I like to keep track of where I'm riding so I can go back with others......or make a note to not bother with a certain trail(s).........the radios allow us to really string out on the trail so everyone can ride relatively "dust free".......they're also handy for pointing out upcoming stops, obstacles, riders......
It sounds like you must use headsets. What do you use that fits under a helmet?
__________________
WR250R - perhaps the ideal motorcycle for myself
Throw in a passenger and I'm unsure of what I'd consider ideal. Maybe a Multi?
I am now for sure sold on the Dual Sport style bike.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #23785
AKASY
Noob
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Hopefully on a bike
Oddometer: 2,163
Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Nice photos! Wish I was in Colorado right now...

Thanks for putting them up
Yea CO is good right now--here is the WRR doing Tomichi and Hancock--heavily edited

http://youtu.be/gbpwEn2WG6U
__________________
Don't make the mistake of believing everything you think.
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #23786
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Here's a video one of the riders shot....it's from the bottom of the gorge up to the rock that juts out in the trail.......I was leading the group......you can hear me on the radio once I reached the rock saying, "the risk/reward isn't there for me......I'm walking it around this rock" ........the trail goes another ~half mile from there and eventually turns up right above the gorge......

http://vimeo.com/27514516
Yikes!
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #23787
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...
 
Buzzbomber's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Betwixt Heaven and Hell
Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thanks.
Buzzbomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 AM   #23788
DougZ73
Fading off.........
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbomber View Post
Thanks.
No prob.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread, DougZ vids
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure: Grayson Hunter Z., born 5/3/14
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 AM   #23789
jimrobinette
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Monterey, CA
Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
It sounds like you must use headsets. What do you use that fits under a helmet?
I don't know what Chris uses, but this is the one I use. Seems the PTT switches can make or break the ride. Rode once with a guy that had a cheap PTT and it just made a whining sound that everybody had to put up with.....except him!

The headsets seem to be the expensive items, the radios a little cheaper.

Riding with a radio changes the whole experience. I thank Chris and the DSM guys for turning me on to it!
jimrobinette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #23790
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,223
Do you need a license to operate those radios?
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014