ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #23881
craftycoder
Android GPS Software
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
I have ground off the pins on about a dozen bikes. No problems. Use friction tape under if you need more grip. If you drill a hole, it will probably not be in the right place, or you may decide to adjust your bars later, and you're stuck.
Agreed
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #23882
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,267
anyone have some slightly used SM tires they wanna get rid of?? For 21"/18" wheels though.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread
"I work,and ride,with a sprinkle of chores and a pinch of maintenance."- AWM
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #23883
trav72
I can't ride where?
 
trav72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: The garbage state
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
anyone have some slightly used SM tires they wanna get rid of?? For 21"/18" wheels though.

Now you're talking!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #23884
Andrew
Optimus Primer
 
Andrew's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Eastbania
Oddometer: 14,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
If you ever want to run heated grips you'll want to retain the OEM steel bars. Aluminum bars act as a heat sink more than steel.
I've run ProTapers on my GS, for the last eight or nine years. The heated grips still get quite hot.
__________________
Splitting lanes, and splitting hairs.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #23885
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Now you're talking!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Still won't be able to do that weekend you mentioned, but I'll see if I can get a day in here or there this season. Previous track day experience, present WRR experience, and low cost.....makes it a no brainer.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread
"I work,and ride,with a sprinkle of chores and a pinch of maintenance."- AWM
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:07 PM   #23886
dirthauler
rolling rototiller
 
dirthauler's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Pittstone, ya it's a Flintstones refference
Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
anyone have some slightly used SM tires they wanna get rid of?? For 21"/18" wheels though.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

try these i love em and about all you can find in the size your looking for
__________________
less the 1% of the planet is paved

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #23887
trav72
I can't ride where?
 
trav72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: The garbage state
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Still won't be able to do that weekend you mentioned, but I'll see if I can get a day in here or there this season. Previous track day experience, present WRR experience, and low cost.....makes it a no brainer.

9-9-11 is the last one on the calendar this season. Maybe they'll add more I'm not sure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #23888
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler View Post
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx

try these i love em and about all you can find in the size your looking for
Thanks. Would you use them for an SM track day??

I was also looking at Distanzia's....if buying new. I am hoping to find some cheaper for using one or two days.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread
"I work,and ride,with a sprinkle of chores and a pinch of maintenance."- AWM
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #23889
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
9-9-11 is the last one on the calendar this season. Maybe they'll add more I'm not sure.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
I am gonna look at some of the other tracks/clubs...I know others do them in NJ. Summit is cheap, but that track might not be worth the drive. I know I only did their sport bike track once...cause it was in horrible shape.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread
"I work,and ride,with a sprinkle of chores and a pinch of maintenance."- AWM
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #23890
dirthauler
rolling rototiller
 
dirthauler's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Pittstone, ya it's a Flintstones refference
Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thanks. Would you use them for an SM track day??

I was also looking at Distanzia's....if buying new. I am hoping to find some cheaper for using one or two days.
Ya i'd use em on a track day, they're very sticky I tend to sail it deep enough into the turns I scare myself
__________________
less the 1% of the planet is paved

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #23891
trav72
I can't ride where?
 
trav72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: The garbage state
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I am gonna look at some of the other tracks/clubs...I know others do them in NJ. Summit is cheap, but that track might not be worth the drive. I know I only did their sport bike track once...cause it was in horrible shape.

Dude, you haven't even been on the SM track and already you're saying it might not be worth the drive? It's worth it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #23892
DougZ73
Lacks Freetime
 
DougZ73's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 6,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirthauler View Post
Ya i'd use em on a track day, they're very sticky I tend to sail it deep enough into the turns I scare myself
Cool..thanks for the suggestions and input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Dude, you haven't even been on the SM track and already you're saying it might not be worth the drive? It's worth it!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
It looked pretty small and simple from that video. Just saying if I can get on an SM track and not need to drive four hours, then that is the way I'd rather go.
I don't care about the dirt and jumps side of it..I can take or leave that part. I am just interested in the smaller track side of things, where there is not a huge straight away, to be blasted on by, with bigger bikes.
__________________
Skyline Drive 11/2010 , Catskills 2010 trip, Catskills 2011 , Southern TNJT, 2011
DougZ's MTB thread , DZ Moto Photo Bloggin' , (my) Learning photography thread
"I work,and ride,with a sprinkle of chores and a pinch of maintenance."- AWM
- Ryder Joseph Z. , Born 11/26/12-- the next Adventure begins.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #23893
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Oddometer: 2,772
Woo Michaux was a lot of fun! Did better than I expected on the C options, didn't bother trying the B or A options lol. The looks I got coming down the trail on a motard were worth the rocks and LOTS of rain.







__________________
"We wish your trail a long one" - Darlene "Sid" Dowd ~ Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
2008 Yamaha WR250X
Eastern TAT 8/2009 ~MD-Key West-Oklahoma 4/2011~Maryland to Alaska 3/2012

skierd screwed with this post 08-14-2011 at 06:46 PM
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #23894
trav72
I can't ride where?
 
trav72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: The garbage state
Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
It looked pretty small and simple from that video. Just saying if I can get on an SM track and not need to drive four hours, then that is the way I'd rather go.
I don't care about the dirt and jumps side of it..I can take or leave that part. I am just interested in the smaller track side of things, where there is not a huge straight away, to be blasted on by, with bigger bikes.

You might want to try it out before being so quick to judge. The dirt section with jumps makes a SM track complete. It's the best part as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #23895
trav72
I can't ride where?
 
trav72's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: The garbage state
Oddometer: 872
That's no easy task getting through that on 17's with street tires. Nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014