Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #23911
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
jt,

Alum bars make vibes much worse for me, too. I swapped right back to stock and use risers. Before you spend $$ on a bar snake, you might try a Google search for some home grown tricks. Lead shot, fishing weights, silicone.....Good luck and let us know how it goes. Take a look at the Oury Road Grips, too.

Sarah
Considered the bar snake but they just emailed back and said with the EVO I need the LV-4 liquid and it was out of stock until October. More research turned up the Vibranator. Found a discount code here on advrider for 20% off. I ordered them and will report back if there is a change. 30 day money back guarantee if they don't. Not many products offer that so what the heck.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #23912
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
How neat would it be to have a second set of stock motard wheels with knobbies for those dirt trips. I have seen a few DRZ400 motards with 17" knobbies and they do fairly well off road.

You know except.for braking performance the 17's did just fine, at least with how I ride. I couldn't blast through the tight tight stuff with big rocks like the plated dirt bikes could, but I was able to.roll along at a medium pace. Enjoyed the hell out of myself too.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #23913
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
So with my new bars and grips coming in does anyone have a fantastic recommendation for getting the stock grip off the throttle tube? Is the old method of blow dryer/heat gun and a screwdriver the best option?
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #23914
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Oddometer: 3,650
I take compressed air and slip the nozzle between the throttle tube and the grip. Work it around while you give a steady pull and they'll usually slide right off. Doesn't work if they are glued, though.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #23915
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Woo Michaux was a lot of fun! Did better than I expected on the C options, didn't bother trying the B or A options lol. The looks I got coming down the trail on a motard were worth the rocks and LOTS of rain.
Was that the Michaux state forest near Chambersbug, PA?

Are there any resources to find out where you can ride a dual sport around there? Been a while since I've been down there and would love to do some exploring!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #23916
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxeR View Post
I take compressed air and slip the nozzle between the throttle tube and the grip. Work it around while you give a steady pull and they'll usually slide right off. Doesn't work if they are glued, though.
I guess I'll give that a try. I have no idea if grips are glued on to the throttle tubes from the factory. I know when you order a new throttle tube it comes with the grip on it though. Well at least for Kawasaki, no idea on the Yamaha.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #23917
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,975
From Pro Taper web page:
Quote:
EVO has the best balance between fatigue life, impact strength and impact absorbing flex
Some interpret this to mean reduces vibes; doesn't.

Handguards/barkbusters/et al reduce vibes but limit flex. I used Zeta handguards and Cycra triple clamp mounts with a nylon washer on the handguard/triple clamp mount point to allow flex.

I'll get a picture onto my web page this evening...

About the grips:
Quote:
If they're glued (often are, WRR is), peel back just enough of the large flange to get a WD40 plastic dispenser tube in and give a squirt. Remove plastic tube. Then, rotate the grip one direction then the other to feel the grip slowly separate from the throttle tube and then off the end.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #23918
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
exactly what I do. if you have enough air pressure, breaks even glued grips free.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #23919
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,892
Quote:
Was that the Michaux state forest near Chambersbug, PA?

Are there any resources to find out where you can ride a dual sport around there? Been a while since I've been down there and would love to do some exploring!
Yup! Lots of great fun roads up there, unfortunately the orv trails are almost always closed to motorcycles.

Come join us over on DAMN riders.org. the ride last weekend was put on by MORE, they also have an.enduro coming up on the same.trails. also check out ama district 7 and ecea.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #23920
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Vibe problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmajors View Post
I could have sworn in my research that someone said they felt less vibration with the evo's over stock. Guess I didn't research enough it sounds like. I like the look of the evo's so much more though.

Anybody tried the bar snake or something similar? I've gotta do something cuz hope to ride this bike from Texas to New Mexico and do the the continental divide ride. Lots of freeway between here and there.
I'm super sensitive to vibrations, particularly to my hands. My problem stems from ruptured discs in my neck and a little CTS too. I ride a WR250X/R, and my hands were going numb in 10-15 minutes. Pain in my right hand would start in earnest by 30 minutes, even with a Cramp Buster.

I have declared war on the vibes, and just today received Grip Puppies from http://www.casporttouring.com. Installation is practically nothing, and truthfully, I was thinking that I had thrown $10 away on little foam tubes. Much to my surprise, I rode about 30 minutes with NO numbness. I even took the Cramp Buster off at the halfway point, and when I arrived back home, I had just the slightest tingling in both hands. I hope to take a longer ride this week, but that was all the time I had today.

I also have a set of Vibranators on order, so will be experimenting with those soon.
thirdcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #23921
KLboxeR
Back in the game again

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Yup! Lots of great fun roads up there, unfortunately the orv trails are almost always closed to motorcycles.

Come join us over on DAMN riders.org. the ride last weekend was put on by MORE, they also have an.enduro coming up on the same.trails. also check out ama district 7 and ecea.
Thanks!

I'll check it out and hopefully see you out there
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #23922
jtmajors
OCD with motorcycles

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdcoaster View Post
I'm super sensitive to vibrations, particularly to my hands. My problem stems from ruptured discs in my neck and a little CTS too. I ride a WR250X/R, and my hands were going numb in 10-15 minutes. Pain in my right hand would start in earnest by 30 minutes, even with a Cramp Buster.

I have declared war on the vibes, and just today received Grip Puppies from http://www.casporttouring.com. Installation is practically nothing, and truthfully, I was thinking that I had thrown $10 away on little foam tubes. Much to my surprise, I rode about 30 minutes with NO numbness. I even took the Cramp Buster off at the halfway point, and when I arrived back home, I had just the slightest tingling in both hands. I hope to take a longer ride this week, but that was all the time I had today.

I also have a set of Vibranators on order, so will be experimenting with those soon.
I have a messed up c3 and c4 so I already have trouble with my left arm/hand going numb. I rode an hour on the hwy this morning and still feeling a little tingling in my hands tonight. I want to conquer this as well. In addition to the vibranators I'm wondering if there are other steps I can take such as apply some type of rubber coating to the triple clamps and bar mounts. Not sure if that will help but I want to do all I can to beat this. If I just rode dirt I wouldn't care, but I'm preparing for a 6000 mile adventure with 30% of that being boring hwy. I've found it's those constant vibrations for an extended period of time at the same rpms which are killing me. Riding dirt which has me hitting all the rev ranges doesn't produce such a negative result.
2012 triumph tiger 800xc, 2012 ktm 500 xcw plated, 2010 wr 250x (sold), 2009 Crf 450r (sold), 2007 Crf 250r (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 (sold), 2001 yz 125 (sold), 2000 yz 250 (sold), 1997 yzf 600 (sold), 1996 cr250r (sold), 1992 rm 125 (sold), 1988 Yamaha Virago (sold), 1986 XR 200 (sold), 1984 cr 80r (sold), 1982 xr 80 (sold)
jtmajors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 AM   #23923
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
I have never had barkbusters reduce vibes on any of my bikes. What most people perceive as annoying vibes are generally high-frequency oscillations best combated by increasing flex and weight to achieve a lower frequency. Adding handguards to an already rigid bar may help, but the problem is that you have too little flex in the bar to begin with. I swapped to 7/8 alu bars and also had an issue with increased vibes. To counteract this I loosened the bolts on the crossbar, which allows the ends of the bar to flex more. I am not sure if I will go back to steel, I need to do some testing.

Ultimately the best thing you can do is put on big honking bar end weights and RoxSpeed anti-vibe risers. The flex of the bars becomes less important once you have the rubber-mounted risers since the whole mass of the bar & weights can flex in the mounts. My KLR with this setup is very smooth. I even added Vibranators, but they have not made a noticeable additional impact. The WR bars are too high for me with the risers unfortunately, and I'm not happy with the loss of bar real estate when I run handguards AND bar end weights on the WR. If you're ok with the health risks, lead shot is pretty effective. In California, I could only find it in scuba shops where it is used to fill diving weights.

My opinion condensed:

1. Bar end weights and/or lead shot (preferably poured in with silicone to prevent lead dust from building up inside the bar).
2. Anti-vibe risers or flexible bars.
3. Vibranators

MotoMind screwed with this post 08-16-2011 at 12:15 AM
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #23924
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,865
Have anyone used the new bar weights for the end of Barkbusters, supposed to reduce the vibrations considerably.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:36 AM   #23925
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Right now, I am running with the flapper box mod and an FMF Q4 with no programmer. I have adjusted the CO settings and the bike seems to run fine (no flat spots, hesitation, etc). But, I do alot of slow, technical riding and the fan comes on fairly frequently (but it is 90 degrees outside). My header is not at all discolored, no hanging idle, no nothing aside from the fan that would lead me to think the bike is lean.

BUT, there is that lingering worry. Is the programmer needed? And, does it result in an appreciable increase in performance? I've done alot of research, and I know that some guys were just adjusting the CO settings. Has there been a concise verdict on this? Anyone done anything remotely scientific to see if the CO adjustments alone were deliverying an acceptable air/ fuel ration across the range?

Thanks.
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? I don't want to dish out the money for a programmer if it is not needed (though it does have cool lights).
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote