Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #24091
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
that KTM looks cool , but not sure why we're talking about it here as if its somehow in the same class of bike as the WR. Thats a full fledged race bike , not something you can hop on and cruise across the country without worrying about a thing.
Agreed. Sweet bike, but all you gotta do is check the maintenance schedule to see it's not gonna be ideal for longer adventure rides. If I rode it like I ride my WR250X, I'd be changing the oil once a week, or every two weeks at the minimum.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #24092
trav72
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Agreed. Sweet bike, but all you gotta do is check the maintenance schedule to see it's not gonna be ideal for longer adventure rides. If I rode it like I ride my WR250X, I'd be changing the oil once a week, or every two weeks at the minimum.
don't forget checking the valves.
trav72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #24093
craigq
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post

Yup, the 350 XC-F and SX-F (which I assume is what this engine is from) have race-bike major maintenance/servicing intervals, 50hr and 100hr engine teardowns.

Edit: Just checked the 2012 350 EXC manual, major engine work is scheduled for every 105 hours (or 50 hours when used for motorsports).
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #24094
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
Guys, searched this forum but came up dry so will ask. Has anyone found a key blank that works with the Yamaha ignition hey? Tried all the Walmart blanks with no luck. As it is I'm on an extended trip and lost my key, do have a spare but would like to get another made while I can.
Yamaha dealer perhaps?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #24095
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Guys, searched this forum but came up dry so will ask. Has anyone found a key blank that works with the Yamaha ignition hey? Tried all the Walmart blanks with no luck. As it is I'm on an extended trip and lost my key, do have a spare but would like to get another made while I can.

Any help appreciated
My local True Value has a blank that works. First thing I did after I bought the bike used with 1 key.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #24096
QuietEagle
Gettin' it together

Oddometer: 51
Thumb Key Blank...

Quote:
Guys, searched this forum but came up dry so will ask. Has anyone found a key blank that works with the Yamaha ignition hey?
10Cup,

I just had to get one for my motorcycle. I would use ronayers.com as they only charge $5.00 shipping for the smaller orders. They don't have the model listed, but you can input the number in the search and it will come up for ordering. Anyway here is the part number for 2008-2010...I doubt it changed for 2011-2012 though.

90890-56028-00

There are also many online places that have blanks (non-OEM), but it would probably cost about the same in the end...

QuietEagle screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 06:13 PM Reason: No Title
QuietEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #24097
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietEagle View Post
10Cup,

I just had to get one for my motorcycle. I would use ronayers.com as they only charge $5.00 shipping for the smaller orders. They don't have the model listed, but you can input the number in the search and it will come up for ordering. Anyway here is the part number for 2008-2010...I doubt it changed for 2011-2012 though.

90890-56028-00
Had the key cut and working for everything on the bike at the local True Value for under $3. Try your local real hardware store or locksmith.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #24098
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigq View Post
Yup, the 350 XC-F and SX-F (which I assume is what this engine is from) have race-bike major maintenance/servicing intervals, 50hr and 100hr engine teardowns.

Edit: Just checked the 2012 350 EXC manual, major engine work is scheduled for every 105 hours (or 50 hours when used for motorsports).
oh man, forget that! No freakin way would I get something that is so high-maintenance.......
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #24099
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
However, I sure would like to get some more power out of this little 250, especially on the highway....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #24100
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Whoa, this is a really nice setup.....maybe I should be going orange...

350 EXC-F: 350 EXC-F 2012

The 2010+ Berg 390's have had nearly all of this plus lower compression again, and the ability to fit a sub frame tank. Oil changes and maintenance on them so far has been excellent. Better suspension on the Bergs. The 2012 KTM's are trying to catch back up to the 2010 Bergs . Must use soft bags like Coyote or Kriega though, as there is no rear metal subframe.

I fitted a cush hub from Woody and this has really smoothed out the ride.

Still no where near as maintenance free as the WRR, but the closest thing to it in the competition type bikes.

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/hus...e_390_2011.php

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin

Cruz screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 06:53 PM
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #24101
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
The 2010+ Berg 390's have had nearly all of this plus lower compression again, and the ability to fit a sub frame tank. Oil changes and maintenance on them so far has been excellent. Better suspension on the Bergs. The 2012 KTM's are trying to catch back up to the 2010 Bergs . Must use soft bags like Coyote or Kriega though, as there is no rear metal subframe.

I fitted a cush hub from Woody and this has really smoothed out the ride.

Still no where near as maintenance free as the WRR, but the closest thing to it in the competition type bikes.

Stop That
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #24102
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,188
Back from Bass Lake

Entire thread on SDAR; http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index...ost__p__110690

My portion:

Chris, Brian and I headed up to Oakhurst on Thursday night and rode over to one of my favorite areas on Friday morning - Whiskey Falls. There's no shortage of single track in that area.....

Adjacent to lush/beautiful meadows....

Streams......

Through (many) trees.....

up rock walls......

We hung out at Whiskey Falls for a bit and Chris was "encouraged" to step up to the new guy hazing ritual of walking behind the falls.....no big deal....it was hot out and he was game

See Brian up top?

We reached Jones Store about 3pm......Brian and Chris were cranky by now as these boys wanted lunch long before we rode ~100 miles/7 hours......I had a few more tricks up my sleeve......didn't snap too many pics......here's one in a fern garden along the trail

We went down to the Stewards of the Sierra fundraiser/registration on Friday night after dinner at El Cid (good Mexican restaurant in Oakhurst). Dan Yuknavage (D37 GPS Geek) and I held a short/fundamental GPS seminar then broke off separately to answer some individual rider questions.....hopefully we helped a few folks.....

On Sat we rode straight out of our host's property and up into the Miami OHV area.......neither Brian or Chris had ever ridden west of Hwy 41 so I was anxious to show them some of my favorite trails in that area......

Big Rock Trail

Ask Chris/Brian about the story behind the below pic.....

We ate an early lunch at the Triangle store then headed back to Russ's house via another semi secret trail.......no pics (but Chris does have some video of this and other trails......I need to start bringing my go-pro!).......

Rest stop near the end of Sat's ride.....

Great tri-tip dinner/raffle put on by the Stewards on Sat night......there was a guest speaker from CORVA (Amy).....I was shocked to hear CORVA only has ~3,500 members.... Good folks/cause.......please consider joining if you're not already a member......

Sunday morning Chris and I headed over Shuteye Peak.....we cut over to Central Camp on a few dirt roads then headed up to the Peak.....unfortunately Chris picked up a nail along the trail but we were on our way after ~20 minutes.....

WOW, I'm embarrassed to say this was the first time I rode up Shuteye in the 10+ years I'm been making my annual pilgrimage(s) to Bass Lake......really fun trail near the top with rock steps to hop up and views galore.....about three quarters of the way up you pass by this magnificent wall then bounce up through the rocks/ledges to the summit....

Chris making his way up through the rocks/steps

We soaked in the views and BS'd with the guy in the fire tower for a bit up top

Then we jetted back to Russ's and loaded up for the return to San Diego.....too short of a trip......I'll be up again NOT soon enough......I love it up there on the edge of Yosemite......STILL my favorite place to ride in CA.....

Carnage report. The new guy (Covered in Bruises) lost a radiator guard, a kickstand, a rear turn signal,.....and a tad bit of "I never fall" pride......but he still remembers how to change a flat...

The kid broke his skid plate into 4 peices and was a bit worn down by Sunday morning

The WR250R goes.....you know the rest.....anywhere
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #24103
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post

The WR250R goes.....you know the rest.....anywhere
Nice Chris.... but man... what a boring bike we all have.. you just get on it and ride it.. we don't get to have all that "extra" fun out on the trail.. pay all that extra money for an orange paint job.. and then don't have to touch our bikes before we go ride again.. we must of all gotten ripped off...why would anyone want to buy a WR/X...?!?

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #24104
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,741
As I read through this thread(upto page 135now) it is interesting to note who still has a wr250r listed in their signature!!

A few more months and I will be getting one too!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #24105
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
The 2010+ Berg 390's have had nearly all of this plus

Aaah...come on....geez! You just had to go and do that again, now didn't you.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote