User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #24166
Oblivion
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
NO LONGER stuck in first!

Once I had the bike in the garage and a beer in hand, the diagnosis and remedy were quick and painless. Mr. Fisherman was dead on - the shift lever was bent so it would no longer clear the case. I warmed it up a bit with a torch then bent it back out. Done before dinner. Whew!!! Thanks folks.

Incidentally, today was the first day I REALLY rode some tough (to me - the other guys called them 'easy') trails. I climbed - and bombed down - some monster hills, had a water crossing or two (the first may have been a bit wetter than intended) and generally just had a hoot and a half. Now I can't wait for new non-TrailWing tires and perhaps a bit smaller gearing. Great fun!!!!
Old 08-27-2011, 07:16 PM   #24167
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Once I had the bike in the garage and a beer in hand, the diagnosis and remedy were quick and painless. Mr. Fisherman was dead on - the shift lever was bent so it would no longer clear the case. I warmed it up a bit with a torch then bent it back out. Done before dinner. Whew!!! Thanks folks.

Incidentally, today was the first day I REALLY rode some tough (to me - the other guys called them 'easy') trails. I climbed - and bombed down - some monster hills, had a water crossing or two (the first may have been a bit wetter than intended) and generally just had a hoot and a half. Now I can't wait for new non-TrailWing tires and perhaps a bit smaller gearing. Great fun!!!!
Good deal!

Hmmm I had the same issue on the trail a few weeks ago after an easy lowside on a log. Hardest problem was finding a tree branch to bend the shift lever back to clear the case. Most of the twigs I found broke so I had to do some searching for some more sturdy lumber.

I did come to the conclusion that Yamaha did their homework when they made the shift lever soft and out of steel. The aluminum aftermarket ones would either crack or if sturdier they'd stay right but transfer the hit to the shifter shaft and cause some internal damage. Having the soft steel shifter helps out clumsy folks like me.

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #24168
Mr. Fisherman
Ray soon to be AWAY!

Oddometer: 10,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post

I am glad that worked out for you.
Anyone reading this should keep in mind that you should remove the shifter before trying to straighten, heat or bend it. You could cause more damage by reefing on it while it is attached to the shaft. Just my $0.02... YMMV but I have heard stories about everything from bent shafts to ruined seals from this practice. If these words prevent this from happening to just one person it was more than worth the time it took to type it.
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #24169
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Tire question???

I'm getting the wrr ready for a trip from Minneapolis to the Black Hills via Northern Nebraska. I'd like to leave early tomorrow. Right now, I have a brand new mt21 on the rear (probably less than 100 miles) and a 1/2 worn 606 on the front, I picked up a pair of k270s on Friday thinking I'll mount them this afternoon, but now I'm thinking I should just mount the front. The 606 is the tire I'm most worried about making the trip on since it's starting to do the every other knob wear thing. I figure it'll be 800+ mostly paved miles going out, and once I'm there I'll probably ride mainly forest roads, probably nothing too serious trailwise. Will the mt21 hold up being as it's almost new? I kind of figure with my luck, if I try to change the rear I'll pinch the tube and then I won't be able to leave until late morning. I have a spare 21 inch tube but not an 18.

Any thoughts on this?
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:21 AM   #24170
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I'm getting the wrr ready for a trip from Minneapolis to the Black Hills via Northern Nebraska. I'd like to leave early tomorrow. Right now, I have a brand new mt21 on the rear (probably less than 100 miles) and a 1/2 worn 606 on the front, I picked up a pair of k270s on Friday thinking I'll mount them this afternoon, but now I'm thinking I should just mount the front. The 606 is the tire I'm most worried about making the trip on since it's starting to do the every other knob wear thing. I figure it'll be 800+ mostly paved miles going out, and once I'm there I'll probably ride mainly forest roads, probably nothing too serious trailwise. Will the mt21 hold up being as it's almost new? I kind of figure with my luck, if I try to change the rear I'll pinch the tube and then I won't be able to leave until late morning. I have a spare 21 inch tube but not an 18.

Any thoughts on this?

My opinion would be to go ahead and mount both K270's, and save the m21 for another time when you plan to ride a bit more aggressive terrain. The K270's have good reviews that say they last super long on pavement...
However... I don't think you would have any problem making the trip there and back on the M21 rear, and just for a reference, I have got 3,000+ miles out of my D606 tires in mixed riding.

Jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #24171
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Any thoughts on this?
It's all in your head, the answer that is. If it's going to nag you, AT ALL, to not start with spankin' new tires... change 'em out.

Have a great trip!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #24172
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,853
I'd at least do the new front personally, never a real good reason to start a long trip on bad tires.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #24173
trailhiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Anyone here to ride trials like trails with steep climbs ,rocky stepps up and down? i think the WR is a littel bit to tall and have a narrow wheelbase for such spots. Because i am on a search for a new( used) do anyhting bike,a bit more than my (DR350S,KLR250) .Maybe a DRZ400S with its long wheelbase for steep climbs,Scorpa-T Ride more like a Trialenduro,Beta Alp low seat hight and smooth powerband or the WR250R street-trail-funbike. but i am afraid the WR cant fill my special needs.a bit street sometimes 500 kmh long ride like on a hollyday-tour,steep rocky climbs like in Romania or Italy in dry or wet riverbeds and forrest. My DR was nice for the climbs but to short geared with 14/51 for the street,my KLR nice for the street but the engine to peaky for the thougher trailrides even with lower gearing. anyone knows a bike that can fill my needs best as possibel? I search for the "jack of all trades"bike!
trailhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #24174
goroka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Cape York - Australia

Some of you may be interested in just how capable the WWR is as an adventure bike that can also mix it on the rough trail stuff. This trip is considered one of the "must do" journeys here in Australia by both bike riders and the 4x4 community. Out of 5 bikes that started mine was the only one standing at the end of a 2300km ride of which about 2100kms was dirt.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719968

Cheers
goroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:48 PM   #24175
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
I'd at least do the new front personally, never a real good reason to start a long trip on bad tires.
I was definitely planning to do the front then ride it to at least see how it handled, but in my Murphy's Law existence I managed to pinch the old tube taking the 606 off, then I pinched the new tube putting the k270 on .

This is going to seriously cut into my timetable and I'm rethinking the trip. Might try to do something closer. Northern MN or WI, or maybe the UP....
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #24176
reddirtjoe
thinning the herd.

Oddometer: 1,743
Anyone here know/is "herkypilot" on wrr forum?
Contact me,please!!
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #24177
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailDust&SaddleLthr View Post
Hey RUFJEEP!

I could not help but notice your different-than-seen-before rear rack... is it a homemade one or purchased from a store? Any chance at more info and more detailed pics? Would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance! P.S.: I tried to attach your pic here but it wouldn't work!
It's homemade, circa a Wal Wart cutting board...yes, I am super cheap when it comes to some things. The rear rack works well, though, and I doubt I will replace it. I've got about $15 in it, total. This is not the greatest pic, but it should give you an idea.
Attached Images

Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #24178
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Ha, I've done the exact same thing... Walmart cutting board. These things are cheap, stiff and do very well as racks...

AND, if you're looking for a cheap way to get an FMF heat shield, an old license plate really does work....

SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 AM   #24179
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Oooooh...nice use of a license plate

How about the $10 deluxe toiletry bag (also from WalMart- found in the luggage section)). It holds two 30oz MSR fuel bottles perfectly, and has pouches on both sides for tools, patch kits, etc. It really compliments the cutting board rack
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #24180
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Oooooh...nice use of a license plate

How about the $10 deluxe toiletry bag (also from WalMart- found in the luggage section)). It holds two 30oz MSR fuel bottles perfectly, and has pouches on both sides for tools, patch kits, etc. It really compliments the cutting board rack

Got a pic?
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote