Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #24181
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Oooooh...nice use of a license plate

How about the $10 deluxe toiletry bag (also from WalMart- found in the luggage section)). It holds two 30oz MSR fuel bottles perfectly, and has pouches on both sides for tools, patch kits, etc. It really compliments the cutting board rack

Got a pic?
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #24182
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
Got a pic?
Not a good one. I'll try and get one tonight...
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #24183
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhiker View Post
Anyone here to ride trials like trails with steep climbs ,rocky stepps up and down? i think the WR is a littel bit to tall and have a narrow wheelbase for such spots. Because i am on a search for a new( used) do anyhting bike,a bit more than my (DR350S,KLR250) .Maybe a DRZ400S with its long wheelbase for steep climbs,Scorpa-T Ride more like a Trialenduro,Beta Alp low seat hight and smooth powerband or the WR250R street-trail-funbike. but i am afraid the WR cant fill my special needs.a bit street sometimes 500 kmh long ride like on a hollyday-tour,steep rocky climbs like in Romania or Italy in dry or wet riverbeds and forrest. My DR was nice for the climbs but to short geared with 14/51 for the street,my KLR nice for the street but the engine to peaky for the thougher trailrides even with lower gearing. anyone knows a bike that can fill my needs best as possibel? I search for the "jack of all trades"bike!
Dude! Your KLR250 was too peaky ?!?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #24184
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Vibranators

I recently declared war against bar vibes on my WR. Grip Puppies from CA Sport Touring reduced the amplitude of bar vibes to the point where my hands would just get tingly instead of completely numb. Next step was to install Vibranators into the ends of the bars. I rode today with the Puppies and Vibranators installed, and after 30 minutes of highway, I had very little tingling in my fingers and no numbness!

BTW, the Grip Puppies win the bang-for-your-buck award at only $10 + shipping.
thirdcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #24185
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdcoaster View Post
I recently declared war against bar vibes on my WR. Grip Puppies from CA Sport Touring reduced the amplitude of bar vibes to the point where my hands would just get tingly instead of completely numb. Next step was to install Vibranators into the ends of the bars. I rode today with the Puppies and Vibranators installed, and after 30 minutes of highway, I had very little tingling in my fingers and no numbness!

BTW, the Grip Puppies win the bang-for-your-buck award at only $10 + shipping.
What mods have you done in regards to power and what handlebar/clamp setup do you use? I'll be sure to stay away from at least the bars and clamps if the vibes are that bad.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #24186
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Trailwings and mud

So today I had the first experience with real mud after Irene passed through yesterday. It felt like I was on ice half the time. F/R pressure was 15psi. Wow. I have to use Rē on my commute to wear these damn things out. Scary as hell after my last trip in the woods resulted in my wrist injury which is almost back to normal after a few weeks. I can't wait to get some 606s on. Perhaps then I'll at least have a little more confidence which hopefully will aid in developing any offroad skill.

Even with my limited time off-road and the lack of difficulty the riding is, you would probably all laugh at where I crashed and injured the wrist, I can see why many road racers recommend dirt riding to improve feel, looseness, and skill. I wish I grew up on a dirt bike or at the least started riding off-road instead of the many pavement miles I put on before I got my beautiful first dual-sport. WR250R
Old 08-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #24187
Cromoth
I've been cloned

Oddometer: 493
Question FMF heat shield for WRR

So I want to make a heat shield from a 15" tire spoon. The spoon is curved & fits into the passenger foot peg bracket. the other end is flat & it's basically 1" wide.

I have a 60mm (crome) & 70mm (stainless) version of the stock 10mm bolt. There's also a spacer so the bolt holds the muffler braket down. How do I secure the flat end of the spoon to the long bolt?

2 ideas so far:
1: tap the head so a M3 (like the bolt that holds on a skid plate) can screw in. Would need an oval hole thru the spoon since it's at an angle.
2: weld the head of the M3 to the head of the long bolt so the shaft sticks out & can secure the spoon at a 90 deg angle.

All this so the Giantloop Coyote doesn't touch the FMF muffler. I like that it goes back to stock easily & seems to be a great way to store the spoon.

Any other ideas?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #24188
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisspy View Post
So I want to make a heat shield from a 15" tire spoon. The spoon is curved & fits into the passenger foot peg bracket. the other end is flat & it's basically 1" wide.

I have a 60mm (crome) & 70mm (stainless) version of the stock 10mm bolt. There's also a spacer so the bolt holds the muffler braket down. How do I secure the flat end of the spoon to the long bolt?

2 ideas so far:
1: tap the head so a M3 (like the bolt that holds on a skid plate) can screw in. Would need an oval hole thru the spoon since it's at an angle.
2: weld the head of the M3 to the head of the long bolt so the shaft sticks out & can secure the spoon at a 90 deg angle.

All this so the Giantloop Coyote doesn't touch the FMF muffler. I like that it goes back to stock easily & seems to be a great way to store the spoon.

Any other ideas?

How 'bout some stick drawings to give a better illustration of what you are talking about with these spoons.....
Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #24189
thirdcoaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
What mods have you done in regards to power and what handlebar/clamp setup do you use? I'll be sure to stay away from at least the bars and clamps if the vibes are that bad.
I'm a special case - lots of nerve damage from an accident years ago and a little Carpal Tunnel Syn too. But since you asked, Protaper CR-HI bars and Zeta clamps, de-smogged, TBR pipe& fuel programmer, re-geared to 13/47.
thirdcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #24190
Cromoth
I've been cloned

Oddometer: 493
FMF heat shield for WRR

Thanks for replying. I hope this pic works:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
How 'bout some stick drawings to give a better illustration of what you are talking about with these spoons.....
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #24191
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:

hnmmmmm, I suppose if you have the spoon to spare, it should work......
Old 08-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #24192
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
wasn't sure what you were going for at first, but I have to say I like it - great way to store the spoon and also shield the luggage from the exhaust, in one fell swoop - go for it!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #24193
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
If you are planning on still being able to use the spoon for a flat repair as it sounds from the first post then I recommend drilling holes in the spoon and bolting it on. It looks like you have a spacer for the exhaust bolt in the picture so just use a longer than stock bolt there and on the other end you can probably use a u-bolt through the cuts in the passenger peg bracket. You could then use a strip to secure the spoon or drill holes depending on how the bolt is aligned. Should be easy enough but seems like it would be a lot of work to get it off and use.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:42 PM   #24194
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
I don't know if it's me, if kenda tubes are sh*t, or if fate is involved, but I pinched FOUR tubes trying to mount the front k270. As it turns out, my oldest boy is going to come and stay overnight for a job interview in the morning, so I'd rather be home anyway...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #24195
SteveO
Huh???

The Fly heavy duty tubes are great. No pinches at all, front and back; considering this was my first time changing tires...