Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM   #24241
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Photos???

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
The Safari Tank comes with a piece of sheet metal that tie wraps over the pressure relief out let of the pump. The fuel hits the sheet metal and runs down the side of the pump into the sump at the bottom of the pump to both help cool the pump when it is not submerged in fuel and prevent the fuel from spraying directly back down in to the wings. IMS said it wasn't needed when they did the 4.7 gallon tank. I recently traded my Safari for the 4.7 IMS. I made and installed the sheet metal part on the pump before putting it in the IMS Tank.
Hey Simmons1!

You wouldn't happen to have a photo or two of the above mods on the IMS tank would you?

I'm planning to do something to mine next time I have a good reason to take the tank off the bike. Until then, I'm usually around 200 miles when the low fuel light comes on so it hasn't been a big issue for me yet, but I would like to know I can get that last half gallon of gas if needed.

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM   #24242
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Hey Simmons1!

You wouldn't happen to have a photo or two of the above mods on the IMS tank would you?

I'm planning to do something to mine next time I have a good reason to take the tank off the bike. Until then, I'm usually around 200 miles when the low fuel light comes on so it hasn't been a big issue for me yet, but I would like to know I can get that last half gallon of gas if needed.

Thanks!
I didn't take any photos of mine, somewhere in this thread or over on the WRR Forum there are pictures of someone messing with a pump that has the sheet metal fuel deflector place. If I find it I'll reply again.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #24243
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't take any photos of mine, somewhere in this thread or over on the WRR Forum there are pictures of someone messing with a pump that has the sheet metal fuel deflector place. If I find it I'll reply again.
Look in here for the silver piece of bent sheet metal:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16622
Old 09-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #24244
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Look in here for the silver piece of bent sheet metal:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=16622

Thanks... looks simple enough fab up - two bends in a piece of flat steel or aluminum, drill 2 holea for a wire tie.

Much appreciated!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #24245
Antonia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
What handlebars do people switch?

Sounds like ATV bars might be what I'm looking for; I had picked up a KX High Bend which is fractions of inches different than stock. Very helpful info-thanks! Will report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by page 474:

"Stock bars are 30.7" W, 3.8" H, 2.6" Pull Back"

Take a look at this chart and maybe you can see how different bars compare:

[URL
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/handlebarinfo.do[/URL]

Holler back after you've taken a look and we'll try to help.

Sarah
Antonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #24246
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Guys, the little WR has caught my attention. Never ridden one though. Anyone come from a DR650 to the 250??? I love my DR as an ADV bike, but it is HEAVY and the suspension SUCKS. Motor is kicking though, with TM40 carb and GSXR pipe. Wondering if the WR is gonna do it for me........

Also, what are the differences between the X and R as far as suspension (and other things for that matter). If I end up getting one, I want both sets of wheels. Just wondering if I'm better off starting with an R or an X.
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:01 PM   #24247
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
Guys, the little WR has caught my attention. Never ridden one though. Anyone come from a DR650 to the 250??? I love my DR as an ADV bike, but it is HEAVY and the suspension SUCKS. Motor is kicking though, with TM40 carb and GSXR pipe. Wondering if the WR is gonna do it for me........

Also, what are the differences between the X and R as far as suspension (and other things for that matter). If I end up getting one, I want both sets of wheels. Just wondering if I'm better off starting with an R or an X.
I came from a BMW Dakar - which I really liked - to the WR-R last year. No complaints here about the bike's capabilities, especially after adding the 4.75-gallon IMS tank. It's not quite as smooth on the road as my Dakar, but will cruise all day at 70 mph comfortably (and mine is geared down four teeth on the rear sprocket). Off-road or on gravel there's just no comparison between the two.

About whether to go with an "R" or "X" version, were it me I'd go with the "X" cuz I think the black frame/wheels just looks better. And I'd probably get black wheels in 18/21 for dirt instead of the silver ones, but that's just me.

One thing to consider is whether you want to use the larger front rotor that comes on the X or the smaller one that's on the R, or switch out calipers each time you change. That's really the only difference in the two bikes mechanically, from what I understand.

I also like the DR as an Adventure bike, but unless you need to do sustained 80 mph slab runs I believe you'll find the WR is a great all-arounder.

Good luck and post up whatever you end up with.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #24248
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Question Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddlebags?

I used my Expedition dry saddlebags for the first time today and noticed this black plastic pseudo basket type thing on the inside. What is it? I figured I'd ask here before looking up the email address for and sending an email their way. Thanks.

Just a note, it seems there are 3 sections to it and the back of the bags has one while the front of the bag has 2 with one folded over or something.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #24249
theBikeman
Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
I used my Expedition dry saddlebags for the first time today and noticed this black plastic pseudo basket type thing on the inside. What is it? I figured I'd ask here before looking up the email address for and sending an email their way. Thanks.

Just a note, it seems there are 3 sections to it and the back of the bags has one while the front of the bag has 2 with one folded over or something.
It is just to give the saddlebag so form so it doesn't collapse while fillling and also makes filling the bag easier as it is slippery vs the rubbery inside of the bag. make a U out of it with so that one side is against the back of the bag, the middle portion is on the bottom and last side against the outside of the saddlebag.
-theBikeman
theBikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #24250
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBikeman View Post
It is just to give the saddlebag so form so it doesn't collapse while fillling and also makes filling the bag easier as it is slippery vs the rubbery inside of the bag. make a U out of it with so that one side is against the back of the bag, the middle portion is on the bottom and last side against the outside of the saddlebag.
-theBikeman
Thanks. I figured as much but wanted to check.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #24251
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Will the Safari run almost dry? I have yet to run it down since I got it.
I've rode mine to the pump and it's taken 3.6 gallons. There was just a tiny bit visible in each wing.
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #24252
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Will the Safari run almost dry? I have yet to run it down since I got it.
I have put 3.4 or 3.5 gallons in it a couple times.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #24253
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I came from a BMW Dakar - which I really liked - to the WR-R last year. No complaints here about the bike's capabilities, especially after adding the 4.75-gallon IMS tank. It's not quite as smooth on the road as my Dakar, but will cruise all day at 70 mph comfortably (and mine is geared down four teeth on the rear sprocket). Off-road or on gravel there's just no comparison between the two.

About whether to go with an "R" or "X" version, were it me I'd go with the "X" cuz I think the black frame/wheels just looks better. And I'd probably get black wheels in 18/21 for dirt instead of the silver ones, but that's just me.

One thing to consider is whether you want to use the larger front rotor that comes on the X or the smaller one that's on the R, or switch out calipers each time you change. That's really the only difference in the two bikes mechanically, from what I understand.

I also like the DR as an Adventure bike, but unless you need to do sustained 80 mph slab runs I believe you'll find the WR is a great all-arounder.

Good luck and post up whatever you end up with.
Thanks......anyone know if the suspension on the R is valved different than the X.......
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #24254
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks......anyone know if the suspension on the R is valved different than the X.......
I believe they are valved the same.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #24255
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Looking at the service manual it seems they are just adjusted to different "click settings" as the stock setting. I can't say one way or the other on valving though. Maybe ask a suspension shop that has taken both apart to modify?