Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #24271
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Has anyone tried Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara?

I know that people used to love them back in the 90s, but I haven't read much about them since.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #24272
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 983
Gear Indicator?

has anyone installed one on the wr2?
I've seen several aftermarket ones on the web for sale...

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #24273
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heoz View Post
I know a few people have commented on the 2012 Yamaha lineup... and the 2012 fiche appear to agree with the web page - the same models of which there is only a handfull. I could make a few guesses... Production issues, too much left over 11 stock (economy?) or just too early as some have posted. Perhaps they read that the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 and they don't want to commit a full lineup .

Check this out: http://gas2.org/2011/08/27/yamaha-to...s-over-250-cc/
Regarding next years lineup I'm not sure why people are saying it's short of bikes. Over the last several years I've noticed every company had bikes missing at times. Who knows how often they update the sites. If that link states truth then I'd imagine there is a large quantity of unsold bikes from 2011. It sounds like it only stands for Japan because for some reason I have a hard time believing that Yamaha is dropping out of road racing by not producing 600cc and 1000cc bikes. I guess that would save a lot of money though. They may as well shelf MotoGP too and any other factory supported racing venture. No reason to speculate though. We will all see what happens when next year comes around. It could just be conditioning from cars and trucks that has people freaking out. Most auto companies put out the next model year in the summer of the previous year, i.e. there are already 2012 models out. From what I've seen with motorcycles they come out late if anything, i.e. 2012's may not come out until summer of 2012.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.

bhd1223 screwed with this post 09-04-2011 at 08:18 AM
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #24274
TBird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Which screen are you using? do you have any more pictures?

The mt90s are great, they might be a little more expensive, but I believe they last longer, too.
The screen is an MRA "Highway" model. I bought it through Twisted Throttle.com. It mounts on the handlebars only but, the bike being a thumper, the shield vibrated at various RPMs so I added some mounts off of the upper fork tubes where the reflectors are also mounted. I ride all through the winter so the screen is a "must" for me. Here are some more pics:

TBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #24275
TBird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I left out a couple of points about the screen. One, I had room on the bars for the addition of the handguards later. Second, i tried different angles of tilt with the shield. A more vertical orientation resulted in buffeting. The angle shown in the pics resulted in clean airflow hitting me at about face level.

The shield works great at any sane highway speeds. The improved airflow around and over the rider is like a HP boost- there is definitely less throttle required for highway cruising than without it. It comes off in minutes but I rarely remove it anymore.
TBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #24276
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
As did I also, also with a buddy on a blue KLR. Helped him put the first scratches on the side plastics, in fact.

But just one pic, just to remind that there's mountains, and then there's other mountains:
Geez,It's seeing pictures like these that make me want to move back to the city:)
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #24277
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird1 View Post
I left out a couple of points about the screen. One, I had room on the bars for the addition of the handguards later. Second, i tried different angles of tilt with the shield. A more vertical orientation resulted in buffeting. The angle shown in the pics resulted in clean airflow hitting me at about face level.

The shield works great at any sane highway speeds. The improved airflow around and over the rider is like a HP boost- there is definitely less throttle required for highway cruising than without it. It comes off in minutes but I rarely remove it anymore.
Thanks for the pics. I was looking at some of the MRA screens on Twistedthrottle's site. I think the road shield was the one that I thought might work, it's shorter than the highway. I'll probably go without for awhile though.

I was going up an on-ramp behind a suburban today and he was pulling away while I had the WRR pinned...that's gonna take some getting used to...
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #24278
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was going up an on-ramp behind a suburban today and he was pulling away while I had the WRR pinned...that's gonna take some getting used to...
Really? I often find myself frustrated with how slow people accelerate even when on the WR. You may be on stock gearing though. I find 13/47 kicks it up a bit especially with the stock TW on the rear. On a note of happiness, I just had my first fill up over 50mpg. I decided to take the highway speeds down a few mph and finally broke over that hump with 52mpg. Once I get a 606 on the rear I'm sure it will be even better as my rpms at highway speeds will drop a bit. With not even 1k miles on the bike yet I'm sure I have awhile before that happens. I should be getting at least 300 if not 500 miles per week racked up with my commute now though. Maybe they'll be toast before winter hits if I'm lucky. Then I can play in the snow with 606s.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #24279
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Really? I often find myself frustrated with how slow people accelerate even when on the WR. You may be on stock gearing though. I find 13/47 kicks it up a bit especially with the stock TW on the rear. On a note of happiness, I just had my first fill up over 50mpg. I decided to take the highway speeds down a few mph and finally broke over that hump with 52mpg. Once I get a 606 on the rear I'm sure it will be even better as my rpms at highway speeds will drop a bit. With not even 1k miles on the bike yet I'm sure I have awhile before that happens. I should be getting at least 300 if not 500 miles per week racked up with my commute now though. Maybe they'll be toast before winter hits if I'm lucky. Then I can play in the snow with 606s.
We were already going 20-30 mph when we got on to the ramp, and I saw a puff from his tailpipe so I know he kicked it down. I pretty much stayed with him up to 70 or so, but then he gradually was pulling away.
Around town I mostly get the jump on traffic away from the lights. I'm running 14/48 gearing right now with the stock exhaust and the flapper clipped open on the airbox.

MCN tested the WRR at 8.71sec 0-60...a lot of cars could have their way with this bike if they really wanted to....until the first corner .
2whl-hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #24280
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
We were already going 20-30 mph when we got on to the ramp, and I saw a puff from his tailpipe so I know he kicked it down. I pretty much stayed with him up to 70 or so, but then he gradually was pulling away.
Around town I mostly get the jump on traffic away from the lights. I'm running 14/48 gearing right now with the stock exhaust and the flapper clipped open on the airbox.

MCN tested the WRR at 8.71sec 0-60...a lot of cars could have their way with this bike if they really wanted to....until the first corner .
Oh, well ya, over 70 forget about it. I actually try to stay below 70 gps indicated on the highway. Sometimes I creep above though to around 75. That's how I netted the 50+mpg. That 0-60 time seems slow but with the gearing most of us change to it should be a bit quicker. I may have to time a run or something now. As far as corners, even with the stock TW rubber it seems to corner better than anything I've owned. I guess that's not hard to do when compared to a Vulcan or EX500/Ninja 500 though. Makes me wonder how much more fun an X would be on the pavement.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #24281
KC0514
dirt junkie

Oddometer: 33
In case anyone with a WR250X is looking for some dirt wheels.

I'm looking for a wheel set off an X, and I'm willing to trade my dirt wheel set for them.

Thanks for the space,

Mark
Old 09-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #24282
herods_flu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I'm looking for a set of R wheels, but I've decided I'm keeping the X wheels too. I may just get a 21" front from Wheeling and use the 17" rear. I was going to throw a rear dirt tire on the front wheel but after getting hung up in a rut yesterday I think I would be more comfortable with a bigger wheel up there. I ended up building a ramp out of rubble.

daytona 2011 333 by bbeck8176, on Flickr
herods_flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:57 PM   #24283
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Anybody in the Tucson/Phoenix area that would let me take their WR250R for a spin on a trail this weekend?

My brother in South Dakota has one and keeps telling me how great it is- I'd like to see for myself. My 690 is actually quite a handful for me in any tight/technical riding.

I'm in Casa Grande.

Send me a PM- thanks!
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #24284
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,702
broken link?

hmmf. This thread seems to be stuck, shows a post by NDTransplant as most recent, but just deposits me at the top of page 1623...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #24285
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
mod fixing bump.. thread's been fixed.