Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #24331
dirthauler
rolling rototiller

Oddometer: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
There was no change in foot peg springs on the WRR between 08-09 or any year for that matter. You got pegs for the WR250/450F. You can use 1 of the WRR stock springs for those pegs. But I can't remember which side. I installed pegs from a WR450F and only had to buy one F spring.

ah that would explain alot, f springs is what i need, and moose racing is full of shizen

happy that there is now a maine small bikes thread
dirthauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:38 PM   #24332
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
fuzzy beaver rally - murphy NC Oct 14-16

gonna head to the Beaver this October: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719630

Fuzzy Beaver Rally, Oct 14-16 near Murphy NC, in the NC/TN/GA mountains - some of the best street and off-road riding in the US!

I saw that the last one had quite a few WRRs, anyone else coming along to represent?
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #24333
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
Hi all,

I bought my first two-wheeler this weekend, a 2008 with only 225 miles. I'll be on pavement for a while until I get comfortable with the bike, so I was wondering if I should get road tires. What's the perception of the stock knobbies? Are they worth saving for the dirt or should I just use them up now?
Perception depends on who you're asking.

True 50/50 dual sporters who seldom ride in mud or sand generally like them. Those with a heavy dirt emphasis or who spend a lot of time in mud, sand, gnarly stuff, etc generally hate them. Different riding favours different tires.

I put 2.5 years and three sets of Trailwings on my WR and they took me everywhere I wanted to go. Time to try something new, and theoretically a set of Heidenau K60 Scouts that should have arrived two weeks ago will arrive tomorrow.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #24334
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:
Is it worth the effort to switch back and forth between street and trail tires? If so, what do most people do, swap tires or swap entire wheels?
Most of us learned how to ride on a dual sport bike equipped with dual sport tires. Don't bother spending a lot of money on a new wheel set. Don't be timid about learning to ride on dirt roads either. It's all about seat time, so go get some. You have a great bike to learn on equipped as it is.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #24335
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Is it worth the effort to switch back and forth between street and trail tires? If so, what do most people do, swap tires or swap entire wheels?
Swapping wheels is easy.......but it's a big expense.......just throw on a set of low profile Pirelli MT43 Trials Tires......smooth on the road and comparable, sometimes superior, to knobbis in the dirt/rocks......that's all I run on my bike....

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #24336
coresports
coresports

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
agreed

Why do you say that?

The "2012 Street overview" lists exactly 3 models: The Super Tenere, the XT250 and the TW200. Somehow, I think there are going to be a few more street models offered in 2012. Somebody running the website is guilty of premature optimization. Or something.
I saw this on cycletrader today, for what that's worth.
Attached Images

coresports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #24337
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by coresports View Post
I saw this on cycletrader today, for what that's worth.
What I've discovered a lot of dealers do is put up ads like that on cycletrader even though they really don't have the bike. I know a local Yamaha dealer here who always lists several WRR's and WRX's, but you go in and they don't have any. I think they do it to get you to call or come in to their showroom.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #24338
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
Swapping wheels is easy.......but it's a big expense.......just throw on a set of low profile Pirelli MT43 Trials Tires......smooth on the road and comparable, sometimes superior, to knobbis in the dirt/rocks......that's all I run on my bike....

How are those tires in things like sand and mud?? Also, how well do they hold up on pavement miles?

And are they DOT?

And one last thing? What size do you run front and back? I only see one size in each, 18" and 21", on MSS.com's site.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #24339
malibu_dan
Adventuring Mystic

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
How are those tires in things like sand and mud?? Also, how well do they hold up on pavement miles?

And are they DOT?

And one last thing? What size do you run front and back? I only see one size in each, 18" and 21", on MSS.com's site.
You forgot to ask him what tire pressures he runs for dirt and street also...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #24340
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post

Those really seem like the most versitile option out there. I think I'll try some when my Trailwings are gone. That will be about Sep 28.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #24341
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_dan View Post
You forgot to ask him what tire pressures he runs for dirt and street also...
I figure that stuff out on my own.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #24342
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post

And are they DOT?

Review: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/392/19...re-Review.aspx

Yes, DOT

Those are only sizes available and that's what I run.

Might consider jacking them up to ~15 MAX on pavement......but I generally just leave'em at the ~10 PSI.......sometimes a tad lower PSI in back (over inflation will lead to carcass separation on center knobs).....Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty Tubes (like running a tire inside a tire )

Not the best for sand or mud but better than you'd expect......

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #24343
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Seconding it being critical to run low pressures on the MT43's on pavement. If you run them high they wear FASTER, not slower, because the knobs are so soft. You want maximum contact to spread the load.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #24344
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Thanks Craw and Moto..I may consider them for my next set of tires. I don't have the extra $1000 for a second set of wheels, so a close to do it all tire will have to do.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #24345
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Love my MT43 rear. Just rode with a friend who had the MT43 and tried a new D606 - he struggled with rocks & roots on some tight Appalachian mountain singletrack, while I just launched right over 'em (he is a MUCH better rider, by the way ). Once you feel how a trials tire propels the bike up & over obstacles, versus a knobby's predilection to spin at the worst possible time, you are spoiled...

Like Crawdaddy mentioned, it's also great on the street & wears pretty well. Mine has seen a bit more asphalt than dirt this go-around, including some interstate travel. 2500 miles and it still grips like velcro off and on road, even though the tread is over half-worn...

I find that it's as good or better in mud than a 50/50 tire (such as the stock trail wing). Not nearly as good in mud as the Kenda Trakmaster II or Dunlop D952 I have run in the rear, but as long as I'm steady and carry momentum it will chug right through slop - and self-cleans pretty well.

Speaking of the D952, that has been my go-to front tire on the WRR - wears great, inexpensive, and exceptional grip in all conditions, even paved twisties.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote