Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #24361
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
Doesn't that mean it's just time for a big bore?

So on to the "mod." With the installation of the Wolfman racks I found one issue on the right side and one issue on the left side since I removed the passenger pegs.

On the right side there is a bolt head between the two holes to mount the peg bracket or rack. This bolt head sticks up beyond the plane of mounting. Originally I just left it as is which bent the rack mount a little but didn't want to cause damage to the racks or bolt head. I also didn't want to grind down the bolt head or reinstall the foot peg brackets. What I settled on was spacing it out with 3 washers to the inside of the rack as seen below on the right. In the picture you can also see some scoring on the bolt head from having the rack mounted on top and bending over it.

On the left side I found the mounting bolts extended too far towards the center of the bike and stuck out beyond the chain. Since the lower bolt lies below the upper chain roller I didn't want to risk the chain striking this bolt. I did the same thing as the other side with a 3 washer spacing to the inside of the rack. I may change this to 4 in the future as it still looks close. This can be seen below on the left.

Perhaps everyone does this or nobody is concerned about these issues. I just wanted to throw it out there so people can make up their own minds.
Your correct everyone has this problem and you fixed it nicely. Wolfman should put this in there instructions or modify the rack a little
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #24362
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
On the left side I found the mounting bolts extended too far towards the center of the bike and stuck out beyond the chain.
Any reason not to get some shorter bolts?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #24363
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,810
Quote:
Perhaps everyone does this or nobody is concerned about these issues. I just wanted to throw it out there so people can make up their own minds.
I just used shorter bolts. I had M8 bolts laying around from other projects, and they worked fine.
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #24364
10Cup
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
That's not the problem guys, the bracket hits the head of the bolt in the center. It sticks out a little farther than the flush plane of the bracket, thus the washers. At least I think that is what he was referring to....
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #24365
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
That's not the problem guys, the bracket hits the head of the bolt in the center. It sticks out a little farther than the flush plane of the bracket, thus the washers. At least I think that is what he was referring to....
I did not have the flushness issue since I have the FMF installed and had a smaller head bolt on the right side.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #24366
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup View Post
That's the right side. I was talking about the left side. And I would have probably also tried to get a flatter bolt for the right. But there, I think the washers make sense. On the other side: don't think so. I'd like to get the thread out of the dirt.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #24367
xplor
cougar bait

Oddometer: 215
Wondering you you guys can help out...
Surely I am doing something wrong.
But I have had the IMS tank for a while and the secondary pump has never worked, always leaving a gallon on the sides.
I ran the vacuum line from down there in front of the cylinder and tested it and there is pretty good suction when the bike is running.
I even hooked up a brake bleeder vacuum hand pump to the back of the tank and it pumps for 1 or 2 squeezes but none after that, it is like it is blocked or something.
Just can't get it to pump fuel through.
Has anyone come across this problem.
Does anyone know how to fix it.
Or anything to ease some of this frustration?
Surely I did something wrong so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I don't mind taking something apart, just would like to know as much as possible before digging in and starting to troubleshoot.

Again... the main fuel line is perfect along with the wiring, and the vacuum line is just from the back of the tank directly to the little nipple which when disconnected from the tank has suction while running.. I eliminated the line where it is supposed to "T" into and just ran one hose between the pump and the intake nipple.

Everything else about the tank is perfect and really like the longer leash.

Thanks for anything guys.
xplor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #24368
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
sorry to jump in the middle of someone else's problem with my own--so please answer him first...maybe take a watch here when you have a sec.

i do agree Doug...now home and looking at it, seems like I might have soaked something.

It just sputtered, died and would not crank:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morriswf/6138066292/

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

MoBill screwed with this post 09-11-2011 at 03:13 PM
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #24369
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I just used shorter bolts. I had M8 bolts laying around from other projects, and they worked fine.
I had the washers laying around but no bolts. Instead of buying bolts I just used washers. Other than being cheap these racks are designed to be used with the passenger peg brackets. The metal is stressed more than it needs to be when not having the peg brackets on. While this stress is surely negligible, I put in a rough spacing close to that of the brackets so they are attached "as designed."

In all honesty though, the length of the left side bolts they send is ridiculous. I'm sure they are used because this length is the least expensive of all lengths above the length required when purchased in bulk from their source. There could be some other reason but I haven't the slightest idea of what that would be. I can't imagine any issues with bolts 10 or maybe even 20mm shorter.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #24370
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplor View Post
Wondering you you guys can help out...
Surely I am doing something wrong.
But I have had the IMS tank for a while and the secondary pump has never worked, always leaving a gallon on the sides.
I ran the vacuum line from down there in front of the cylinder and tested it and there is pretty good suction when the bike is running.
I even hooked up a brake bleeder vacuum hand pump to the back of the tank and it pumps for 1 or 2 squeezes but none after that, it is like it is blocked or something.
Just can't get it to pump fuel through.
Has anyone come across this problem.
Does anyone know how to fix it.
Or anything to ease some of this frustration?
Surely I did something wrong so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
I don't mind taking something apart, just would like to know as much as possible before digging in and starting to troubleshoot.

Again... the main fuel line is perfect along with the wiring, and the vacuum line is just from the back of the tank directly to the little nipple which when disconnected from the tank has suction while running.. I eliminated the line where it is supposed to "T" into and just ran one hose between the pump and the intake nipple.

Everything else about the tank is perfect and really like the longer leash.

Thanks for anything guys.
One of a few reasons I went with the smaller IMS. I'd recommend checking out http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-gui...afari-tank-mod which is available thanks to HF and 10cup. They show a great walkthrough of the vacuum pump and things they did to try and improve wing pickup in the Safari. I imagine the pump is similar if not the same in the IMS and I'm sure at least one or two tricks could be used to help it out as well.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #24371
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
sorry to jump in the middle of someone else's problem with my own--so please answer him first...maybe take a watch here when you have a sec.

i do agree Doug...now home and looking at it, seems like I might have soaked something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morriswf/6138066292/

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">
I'd start by spraying some of the electrical connectors with some WD-40. You'll appreciate it Bill.....Water Dispersant-40 was actuallhy created for use on missiles, to alleviate corrosion. I'd spray lightly and let it sit a bit....especially the starter contacts.

Starter sits low and might be your issue. OR, it may be some of the contacts up in the area b the battery.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:23 PM   #24372
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post

Have you tried to turn the crank by hand like when adjusting the valves? Pull the plug and see what happens. You'll know if it's seized. If it was soaked well and for a while there is a decent chance some electronics may be shorted out until they dry. I'd pull the plug, see if the crank moves, then drain the oil to see what it looks like. Fill it with fresh oil, let the electronics dry out, and give it another go.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #24373
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
I had the washers laying around but no bolts. Instead of buying bolts I just used washers. Other than being cheap these racks are designed to be used with the passenger peg brackets. The metal is stressed more than it needs to be when not having the peg brackets on. While this stress is surely negligible, I put in a rough spacing close to that of the brackets so they are attached "as designed."

In all honesty though, the length of the left side bolts they send is ridiculous. I'm sure they are used because this length is the least expensive of all lengths above the length required when purchased in bulk from their source. There could be some other reason but I haven't the slightest idea of what that would be. I can't imagine any issues with bolts 10 or maybe even 20mm shorter.
yeah, I hear ya. If I were to use washers, I'd washer the top side mounts too..so as not to put undue stress on the welds of the mounts. Really, there is not that much stress on the racks anyway, even when fully loaded. I did like using mine to help pick up the bike when I dropped it....which I do a lot.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #24374
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
yeah, I hear ya. If I were to use washers, I'd washer the top side mounts too..so as not to put undue stress on the welds of the mounts. Really, there is not that much stress on the racks anyway, even when fully loaded. I did like using mine to help pick up the bike when I dropped it....which I do a lot.
Well the top side mount shouldn't need any changing as it's set up as it should be with the brackets. I just simulated the brackets. As said though, semantics, doesn't matter.

I never thought about leaving the racks on when riding in the woods. I guess they would be useful in picking up the bike. I haven't been in the woods since I injured myself though. It's been really muddy with all the rain we've had the the TWs don't feel so confidence inspiring with my serious lack of skill. I'm trying to burn them out on my commute and upgrade for some mud/snow fun.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #24375
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Well the top side mount shouldn't need any changing as it's set up as it should be with the brackets. I just simulated the brackets. As said though, semantics, doesn't matter.

I never thought about leaving the racks on when riding in the woods. I guess they would be useful in picking up the bike. I haven't been in the woods since I injured myself though. It's been really muddy with all the rain we've had the the TWs don't feel so confidence inspiring with my serious lack of skill. I'm trying to burn them out on my commute and upgrade for some mud/snow fun.
I had installed them, the racks, when I first got them, and left them on for week or two before the trip I used them on. They were helpful, but for my regular riding, I do not want the extra weight of them on there.

Deathwings and muddy conditions....ouch. I have never been a fan of them. The issue, to me, is not even their lack of grip in certain terrain..its their lack of predictability. One needs to know exactly what their tire is going to do, when they do x, y or z. Trailwings do not dothat for me. Some guys love them...so maybe its just me.

I have been using my bike more on road lately..so I am contemplating either the MT43 trial tires guys are rec'ing, or D606's. I currently have Pirelli XCMH's, and love them off road, but they are not the greatest wear'ers on road...not that I expect them to be...being a 90/10 tire.