Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #24391
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,812
OK, good deal. We have something to practice this weekend.

Thanks for the tips.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #24392
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
I thought you were calling your riding buddies girls. But then I realized you were actually talking about...girls.

I've pretty much got the log crossing thing down. Although, I do have a bit of trouble when there's no choice but to hit the log at an angle. Not with the front wheel but with the back. With enough momentum I usually always get over even when the rear tire slides along the log sideways. Luckily, I've gotten good at landing sideways.
The thing is, if you get the technique right, it doesn't matter if the log is at an angle. If you do the wheelie, hop, thing correctly, the back tire will actually jump right up to the top of the log and as long as the back tire isn't spinning (always be in control of the throttle), it will just barely touch the top of the log.

Here you can see Amanda doing it exactly right and at this point it wouldn't matter if the log was at an angle as she would have just barely touched the top of it with her back tire.

Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #24393
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Its essentially sounds like "bunny hopping" with a BMX bike. I wish I could hop my WRR like I used to my bicycles.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #24394
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
IMS Vacuum pump

[QUOTE=xplor;16832303]Wondering you you guys can help out...
Surely I am doing something wrong.
But I have had the IMS tank for a while and the secondary pump has never worked, always leaving a gallon on the sides.
I ran the vacuum line from down there in front of the cylinder and tested it and there is pretty good suction when the bike is running.

xplor I dont believe you've done anything wrong so don't worry.

I had/am having the same issue with my 4.7 IMS. Other people have probably offered a solution but if you go back to page 1619, post #24281 you will see my attempt to solve a non-working pump and previously mentioned HP pump starvation.

A lot of relevant details have been mentioned by imates in the following pages so if you begin at page 1619 and read through you should get a feel for the problems and various mods. (I know it doesn't solve all the problems though)

Thanks for bhd1223 for finding the 10Cup mod so well documented at HF's lab. I remembered seeing that mod a while back but I couldnt find it. The significant point there is that Safari are using the same vacuum pump driven by the same pulse from the intake as my IMS so we can't suggest IMS are using a 'wrong' pump. 10Cup's sensible mod addresses the issue of an un-even level in both wings, and gets the last drop out.

Photos during this mod show a few very clever design points from the Safari that I wish IMS had 'borrowed'. IMS probably wish they had incorporated them also I would say because they would have prevented the majority of re-calls that I see inmates mentioning.

1. Safari use INTERNAL fuel pick-ups in the wings....IMS use EXTERNALLY installed pick-ups at the front of the wings screwed into the plastic. (read back and see how many unfortunate inmates have had leaks there)

2. Safari use a metal shield secured over the HP pump to retain the dumped overspill from the pressure regulator and return it to the base of the HP pump.......IMS do not, so the overspill sprays all over the inside of the tank and ends up back mainly in the wings.

3. Safari build a decent sized 'bund' around the base of the HP pump. (see this when the tank is on it's back as the 2 lines running fore and aft, also when looking inside). This retains the captured overspill fuel and the lifted wing fuel around the base of the pump until it is used my the motor.....which is just what we want!

Getting back to your vacuum pump problem...I wouldnt mind betting that your inlet flapper valve inside the pump is remaining open and spoiling the pumping action. Try tapping the vacuum pump with the motor running. I've taken my pump apart twice to get it to work.
ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #24395
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Its essentially sounds like "bunny hopping" with a BMX bike. I wish I could hop my WRR like I used to my bicycles.
I was thinking the same thing. As a new motorcyclist, I was wondering if my BMX / mountain bike skills would help or be a hinderance.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #24396
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I was thinking the same thing. As a new motorcyclist, I was wondering if my BMX / mountain bike skills would help or be a hinderance.
They'll definitely help! Balancing on a motorcycle off road is the same as a BMX/mountain bike. But you just have to remember you can't just pull on the bars to lift the front wheel.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #24397
Antonia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
logs; technique

Thanks Krabill for tips, pictures, and making it sound learnable. Slow learner here. I'm having lots of trouble in tight turns and wonder if the clutch/throttle idiosyncrasies of the wr are part of the problem. Get halfway around, think it's good, then I'm off the trail swimming and cursing in a bush. Don't need much more practice picking up 300#; getting pretty good at it but it's hard to learn when you're exhausted. Going to start getting good at replacing bent stuff soon too.

[QUOTE=Krabill;16837701]It's the same technique with any bike. Some just need more clutch than others (like the WRR).
Old 09-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #24398
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
They'll definitely help! Balancing on a motorcycle off road is the same as a BMX/mountain bike. But you just have to remember you can't just pull on the bars to lift the front wheel.
I remembered on my mountain bike, I also had the clip in pedals. You could bunny hop up to about 18" or so, if you needed to.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #24399
herods_flu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I ordered a standard Corbin seat last week, they took $409 out of my account three days ago. Got an email this morning saying that they have sent my order to production and should expect the seat in "approximately" four weeks. I was about to call Sargent and ask if they could get me one sooner as I have a big trip lined up in mid October. Then I noticed Corbin will charge me $85 to cancel the order. Shouldn't Corbin have told me approximately how long it would take to get me the seat before they hit my account for $400+ dollars? They also didn't tell me about the non-refundable cancellation fee before they took the money out. Crappy way to do business if you ask me.
herods_flu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #24400
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by herods_flu View Post
I ordered a standard Corbin seat last week, they took $409 out of my account three days ago. Got an email this morning saying that they have sent my order to production and should expect the seat in "approximately" four weeks. I was about to call Sargent and ask if they could get me one sooner as I have a big trip lined up in mid October. Then I noticed Corbin will charge me $85 to cancel the order. Shouldn't Corbin have told me approximately how long it would take to get me the seat before they hit my account for $400+ dollars? They also didn't tell me about the non-refundable cancellation fee before they took the money out. Crappy way to do business if you ask me.
See if you can bail......then go to Seat Concepts and keep a couple hundred $$ in your pocket.....

http://www.basherdesigns.com/2011/06...s-seat-review/
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #24401
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Why don't you give Corbin a call and explain the situation. They've worked with me in the past.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #24402
TBird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Why don't you give Corbin a call and explain the situation. They've worked with me in the past.
Yeah, I'm in the market for a different seat, too. I have a vested interest in this outcome. Please post your results!
TBird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #24403
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Ooooo.....very nice pic. Excellent form. How did it turn out? I'm betting a Clean.

HF

p.s. do it again on the Super-T
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:52 AM   #24404
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,451
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #24405
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Good gosh....with that much gear on your bike, I see why you need the trailer!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote