Old 09-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #24751
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeickerman View Post
Are they using real MPH or Yamaha MPH?

John
The show was about finding out if bikes were better for the environment than cars. In a nut shell.... bikes got better MPG, less co2 but were way worse on some other emissions. (I think due to cars having more space for bigger cats and being held to lower standards for now, they didn't say.)

After the initial findings, they used the WR because it was modern, light and small displacement to see if making it more aerodynamic (an advantage cars have, no exposed rider spoiling the aeros) helped the numbers in the areas bikes failed in. It didn't though.

As for MPH, all Japanese bikes if not all bikes tend to do the same thing, read higher MPH but have accurate Odometers. Been that way for as long as I remember, even with speedos driven from the wheels.

MiamiMotorcyclist screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 05:52 PM
MiamiMotorcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #24752
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWorkingDog View Post
Holdonaminute--you can't get away that easy! What's the update on your waterlogged engine?

:) It's at my buddy's place...so busy with work I haven't had a chance to think about it and I think they're so busy they haven't cracked it open yet.

:) Wish I knew...how about this, from earlier this week!!!

It's actually just the front wheel mired, the rear tire is in about 3 inches of water, and the front in a about 24"....LOTS of water in NJ right now...
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #24753
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproat Sport View Post
man, you guys in the US pay bottom dollar for stuff. Insurance for my WR for the year is closer to $450, and that's with all the available "discounts". Yeesh. Same goes for postal services for you guys...cheap. I'm having trouble selling my brand new Safari tank as the international shipping costs from Canada are so high. Anyway, check out the FS section if you're interested...I'm gonna do another price drop on that tank.
You must be really young or in a really bad province (QC anyone?).
I pay $180 for six months in BC and that is expensive compared to AB.
My Paul Smart Duck was $530 full coverage for a year in AB. In BC it was almost double that for six months. ICBCfuckers wanted almost 2k for my RK. Selling it all and keeping the WR. Ok and maybe a Ural...
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #24754
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,856
I'm right around $100/yr for my WR and is a big reason why I don't see me getting a bigger bike any time soon... Fortunately the Guzzi I still want isn't that much more. The costs start making me go when I start looking at insuring fast or just large displacement bikes.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #24755
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,863
Quieting down a FMF Power Core 4...

I love the performance increase after adding an FMF PC4 exhaust, but day-mn that thing is loud!

Anyone know of a way to muzzle this thing without giving up all the gains in power?

Back in the early 70s when we rode two strokes with expansion chambers we'd take an old Briggs and Stratton lawn mower muffler and poke it into the end of the expansion chamber. An old spring would hold it in place when riding on the street and that took most of the bite out of the sound. Once to the trails it could be removed in seconds, then put back on for the return ride home.

I'm wondering if something like that might be feasible for this. I don't want to repack the pipe to quiet it down as I'm sure it would rob me of some performance.

Any thoughts????
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #24756
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
Wonder if this would work? (post # 6085)

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Turns out the Q4 can on the R² is exactly the same length and bore and spark arrestor as the Q4's on my KTM990, so much for scientific sizing... anyway one trick the KTM 950/990 guys were doing to cut down the bark of the FMF glasspacks was a little insert, a simple copper adapter coupling from the hardware store.

Here are the two parts:

Spark Arrestor removed (one screw) and copper piping adapter

Just push the adapter over the inner spark screen (the adapter doesn't block it) then a quick drill and safety wire and you can try it out.

I noticed it definitely takes the sharp edge off the bark from the rider seat, with no perceptible loss of power. Seemed more pleasant when I did a 30 mile commute with it today. As always YMMV.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:57 AM   #24757
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,863
Thanks!

Good idea Sarah!

Will try that and post up the results.

David
GSBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #24758
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
I bet that was fun to get out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill;16974311
[IMG
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6165/6186378497_45bb44afba_z.jpg[/IMG]
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #24759
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,004
I picked up an 08 WR250r in Sacramento on the 26th, and road it home to just north of Denver. I got home on the 30th. It took me 4 days and 1 hour to ride 1530 miles street and dirt. Not bad for a 250.

The little WR is great!! I think it would be really hard to have as varied a ride as I did on the Way back from Sacramento as I did. I rode from an elevation of 25 feet to 12,800 feet with no problem at all. The bike was fairly smooth. Better than the KLR. Has an over 200 mile range. I road everything from Highway, to Jimbo's local only slickrock, Desert riding on the Burr trail, High mountain passes fully loaded, and it performed great at everything. Fully loaded it felt better on Engineer, La Sal, and Imogene passes then the KLR does without any gear. It will need a new seat, heated grips, a rear rack and HDB lever guards, but other than that its great.

Dropping a leg over a bike and riding it 1530 miles is a great way to get to know a bike.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #24760
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia Or Bust View Post
How many miles/gallon were you guys averaging in normal highway riding? I can average upwards of 65mpg now, but figure highway cruising with the additional weight and wind resistance would be closer to 50mpg or so.
Just checked this out, out of curiosity's sake, with the new Heidenau tires I put on.

About 215 lbs all up on the bike, none of it sticking out catching wind, 14/49 sprockie setup.

52 mpg US on non-mountainous roads, keeping the GPS indicated speed at 60mph until the tank was sucking fumes. Can't remember the exact numbers, but mileage didn't get much worse doing 70mph GPS indicated.

64 - 68 mpg US dual sporting, roughly about 70% of the time on those rides on gravel forest service roads.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #24761
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
need a Q4 spark arrestor

I need to get a spark arrestor for a used FMF Q4 I picked up. Just want to verify that this is the one I need:

I have some notes from a few months ago when I finally got in touch w/ an FMF rep, they said I needed a Ti-powercore arrestor (not a Q4-specific one??). In searches for said Ti-powercore arrestor, the one pictured - which looks like it should fit using a small machine screw - and another completely different design are the only ones that come up.

For comparison, here is a picture high5's loafers and sweat pants ; er I mean, his stock Q4 spark arrestor. Looks a bit different on the end than the one I've found, but if it fits in tightly and the screw holes line up I'll be happy.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 10-01-2011 at 08:42 AM
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #24762
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
I just picked up a used WRR last nigth (actually an X with dirt wheels/tires). What a fun little bike. I now understand what all the excitement is about. So much more fun on rough, nasty, washed out roads and trails than my DR, and so much less tiring. I can't believe it pulls just about as hard as the 650, and is just as comfortable at ~65 or so.

First mods will be an IMS 4.7 tank (what are they thinking with 2 gallons?), PMB rack and skid plate.
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #24763
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I love the performance increase after adding an FMF PC4 exhaust, but day-mn that thing is loud!

Anyone know of a way to muzzle this thing without giving up all the gains in power?

Back in the early 70s when we rode two strokes with expansion chambers we'd take an old Briggs and Stratton lawn mower muffler and poke it into the end of the expansion chamber. An old spring would hold it in place when riding on the street and that took most of the bite out of the sound. Once to the trails it could be removed in seconds, then put back on for the return ride home.

I'm wondering if something like that might be feasible for this. I don't want to repack the pipe to quiet it down as I'm sure it would rob me of some performance.

Any thoughts????
Not sure that re-packing will negatively affect performance, since the exhaust gasses do no flow through the packing but instead through the chambers/baffles.

FWIW, I've talked to lots of folks that rave about theLexx MXe Premium Silencer Packing: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=20051

This stuff is supposedly a lot quieter and longer lasting than the packing FMF sells, for less coin

Also, you could try the FMF quiet-core insert made for that pipe, which has a built-in spark arrestor,
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 10-01-2011 at 02:41 PM
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #24764
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,388
I got a few pictures from the Harescramble last weekend . . .

Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #24765
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post

Why not just buy the FMF "Quiet Insert" that is made for that muffler? It is a 94dB insert unless that isn't quiet enough for you.
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is online now   Reply With Quote