Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #24811
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulinor View Post
Came home from work today (too late for another ride) and found a present from fedex. My new Sargent seat! Didn't even have to give up my OEM.

Haven't been able to do much more than sit on it in the driveway. Fits tight, but good. Looks quality, and feels like I can still move around on it for dirt shenanigans.

Will definitely give it some miles this weekend.

Anyone compare these to the custom jobs they did before?
Could you post some more pics?
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #24812
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Just a heads up---I used those same cig adapters. Sooner or later a little water will get in--it then corrodes and shorts the center electorode to the side wall and sits there draining the battery. Want to know how I know
Di-electric grease is yer pal.
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #24813
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg View Post
I need to get a spark arrestor for a used FMF Q4 I picked up. Just want to verify that this is the one I need:

I have some notes from a few months ago when I finally got in touch w/ an FMF rep, they said I needed a Ti-powercore arrestor (not a Q4-specific one??). In searches for said Ti-powercore arrestor, the one pictured - which looks like it should fit using a small machine screw - and another completely different design are the only ones that come up.

For comparison, here is a picture high5's loafers and sweat pants ; er I mean, his stock Q4 spark arrestor. Looks a bit different on the end than the one I've found, but if it fits in tightly and the screw holes line up I'll be happy.
Went through the same frustration as you did. First FMF ignored 2 emails and then I had to call 3 times. If you search the web it is obvious that no one has been told what goes with what. All this and I only really need that aluminum sleeve because the flimsy thing just wore out and was unusable after 2 years. I will avoid FMF in the future and pay the price for Akrapovic on my Berg.

If you order from Rocky Mountain this is what you need. Notice one fits all three:

FMF Titanium Power Core/Power Core 4/Q4 Quiet Core Insert
Part # 1133870001

$29.99 1 $29.99
Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #24814
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY View Post
Just a heads up---I used those same cig adapters. Sooner or later a little water will get in--it then corrodes and shorts the center electorode to the side wall and sits there draining the battery. Want to know how I know
Those are powerlets. :) Not cig lighter adapters.

After 20,000 miles or so you just twist them back and forth and it knocks the white corrosion off...also a quick spray in there as was said.

Also, Skygeek.com sells ACF-50 (spend some time on the line talking to the developer and manufacturer, not a big company)...corrosion protection used on aircraft and marine applications.

You can spray it right into connectors, just don't get it on the brake pads...makes 'em slippery.

If you ride all year, in about October you treat your machine with this and then clean it off in the spring..just leave it on all season:

http://www.skygeek.com/10013.html

MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #24815
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia Or Bust View Post
The plan is to go all the way, pending finances/weather/mishaps etc. 100lbs I'd say would be a conservative estimate (on the high end) ...

I appreciate the input!!
If you get the 4.7 gal tank I wouldn't worry about carrying extra fuel. That's almost a 300 mile range. I also don't think you're gear excluding tank would be over 50lbs. Seriously when you start planning lay out only the minimum that you'll need and immediately discard half of it.

I did 10k miles on my WR in 5.5 weeks last summer and wouldn't hesitate to ride to South America reliability wise. Personally though I would want more grunt for all the road work. I got a bit over 60 mpg on my trip last year and get about 65mpg commuting on surface streets.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:44 PM   #24816
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief_lee_visceral View Post
Went through the same frustration as you did. First FMF ignored 2 emails and then I had to call 3 times. If you search the web it is obvious that no one has been told what goes with what. All this and I only really need that aluminum sleeve because the flimsy thing just wore out and was unusable after 2 years. I will avoid FMF in the future and pay the price for Akrapovic on my Berg.

If you order from Rocky Mountain this is what you need. Notice one fits all three:

FMF Titanium Power Core/Power Core 4/Q4 Quiet Core Insert
Part # 1133870001

$29.99 1 $29.99
Thanks (and Greer!) crazy, yes it really seems that FMF does not have their stuff together with regards to supporting products such as muffler packing & spark arrestors. So essentially the stock Q4 spark arrestor is also the power core "quiet core" insert - interesting.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg screwed with this post 10-04-2011 at 02:40 AM
bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #24817
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,861
From what I can tell, the only difference between the Q4 and Powercore4 is can length and price. Running side by side with BigBird's WRR with a q4 and mine with a pb and pc4, there ain't much difference in sound and some of the guys I ride with think my bike is quieter...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #24818
tshrey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Why is a WR going home on a trailer???
tshrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:20 AM   #24819
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Di-electric grease is yer pal.
How about those coax plugs like the ones that come on Gerbings stuff? I used those for both my Gerbings and my GPS directly off the WR's battery.

Are they subject to problems in the rain?

As a sidebar, I have powerlet ports on one of my bikes for about 7 years and never had a corrosian problem. I keep it garaged, though.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #24820
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrey View Post
Why is a WR going home on a trailer???
Because it came on the trailer for one thing.

Its a racing hare scramble series..not an easy dual sport run or something like that. There were over 700 bikes there and not one was ridden there..I promise you that.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #24821
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Because it came on the trailer for one thing.

Its a racing hare scramble series..not an easy dual sport run or something like that. There were over 700 bikes there and not one was ridden there..I promise you that.
Calling Krabill!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #24822
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Calling Krabill!
Sometimes the truth hurts. Mine arrived at the harescramble I rode in the back of a truck, too

Well, sort of. It rode in the truck from Tulsa to the cabin we were staying at in Arkansas. I did ride from the cabin to the race and back if that counts I was most certainly the only bike to ride in the gate in the morning and back out again at the end of the day.

With a race like this, though, you can't really blame a guy. There are umpteen million things that could go wrong. Having a vehicle to haul your sorry broken butt back home isn't all that bad.

HF rode his bike to a race and back home last year, but it was only about 40 minutes away from his house. The race I was in was 2 1/2 hours away from home . . . and the other person that went with me was riding a non-street legal WR450F. No sense in riding beside the truck with the 450 in the back when I could just as easily ride with them.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #24823
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
I didn't use a trailer or put it in the back of a truck.

onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #24824
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
i think anyone who has ridden a hare scramble would agree , when you are done racing , you have absolutely no desire to sit on a bike for the rest of the day. And last one I did I finished the race with no rear brakes. They are rough and you dont want to be depending on your race machine as your ride home also.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #24825
onetravdown
I can't ride where?

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
i think anyone who has ridden a hare scramble would agree , when you are done racing , you have absolutely no desire to sit on a bike for the rest of the day.
Exactly! They beat you up pretty good and there is no way I would want to ride home afterwards.
onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote