ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #24871
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav72 View Post
Awesome pic! So, did you get "Lost" ?
Thanks! Well... while we didn't get totally lost we sure tried! The sticker is from "Lost Rider" aka "Chitown" who does more F800GS riding. I take the philosophy more to be lost in life, finding your own direction instead of the literal lost on the trail.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #24872
spartanman
regret minimizer
 
spartanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Land of High Hopes & Low Taxes
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Thanks! Well... while we didn't get totally lost we sure tried! The sticker is from "Lost Rider" aka "Chitown" who does more F800GS riding. I take the philosophy more to be lost in life, finding your own direction instead of the literal lost on the trail.

+1 on the great pics! Tell me more about that luggage setup. Looks well thought out and functional.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #24873
freetors
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Collinsville, OK
Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd1223 View Post
I've seen someone either in this thread or on one of the other forums post up a cross brace they made for the WR. The racks may have also been made by that same person. They were of similar design to the wolf racks. Anyone could fab some braces up themselves with a little welding or possibly even just clamp the brace to the rack. If I remember correctly they connected behind the plate somewhere.
Like this?



freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #24874
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Thanks! Well... while we didn't get totally lost we sure tried! The sticker is from "Lost Rider" aka "Chitown" who does more F800GS riding. I take the philosophy more to be lost in life, finding your own direction instead of the literal lost on the trail.
And I took it to mean that I had been lost like those stickers that imply you've been to the OB.

I like Chitowns meaning but I've probably been really lost more often.
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #24875
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
+1 on the great pics! Tell me more about that luggage setup. Looks well thought out and functional.

Thanks I like the luggage setup for my WR250R... We tackled some seriously difficult and narrow stuff (singletrack and huge rocks, etc) and it worked well.

I've got the Wolfman rack with dry expedition saddle bags on the sides (I removed the passenger pegs when I installed these). Surprisingly removing the passenger pegs was very difficult!!!! I had to use a blowtorch to help break the threadlocker they used on the factory bolts.

The top rack is the Pro Moto Billet aluminum rack. It is strong, stable and provides lots of attachment points. This rack mounts through the rear plastic into the subframe instead of using the wimpy mounting points on the sides. I stressed about getting the holes aligned so it wouldn't look like crap but it turned out alright in the end.

The tank bag is the Wolfman small expedition tank bag. I love these and have one for my F800GS as well. They are quick to open, can hold enough stuff and rain-proof. I've been through monsoon rains and left it outside in the rain overnight and nothing ever got wet. Being a soft tank bag you can nudge it out of the way with your hips if you have to maneuver over rough terrain... never really bothered me.

I also ride with a Camelbak MULE (3L)
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #24876
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,843
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
Like this?
Exactly like this.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #24877
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
And I took it to mean that I had been lost like those stickers that imply you've been to the OB.

I like Chitowns meaning but I've probably been really lost more often.
Ha! Fair enough, luckily being lots is just as much an adventure as traveling to a destination

I've been wanting to apply more decals to my bike and I did slap on quite a few before I left on the trip. Halfway through the trip the decals on the tank were bubbling and peeling I thought it had something to do with the high altitude but my friend commented it could be off-gassing from the plastic.

Have any of you experienced this with decals on the new tanks? You can see mine peeling below but this is after I tried to flatten it out and get some bubbles out. It literally looks like giant bubbles are forming under the decals (yes... I did apply them properly and squeeze all the air out).

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #24878
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,156
If you put pin holes in the decal before you apply them they stay on longer but the gas WILL release them.
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #24879
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,156
Check that..... If you apply tank liner before you ever put gas in the tank they MIGHT stick.
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #24880
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Check that..... If you apply tank liner before you ever put gas in the tank they MIGHT stick.
Hmmm... tank liner? I'm interested, do you have a specific product as an example? My google search came up nil.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing because I don't think the gasoline is the issue... rather the actual plastic tank releasing gasses during the early lifetime of the product. This is called offgassing or outgassing and is common among injection molded or thermo-formed plastics.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #24881
Pantah
Patriot Nation?
 
Pantah's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: India Wharf
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Hmmm... tank liner? I'm interested, do you have a specific product as an example? My google search came up nil.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing because I don't think the gasoline is the issue... rather the actual plastic tank releasing gasses during the early lifetime of the product. This is called offgassing or outgassing and is common among injection molded or thermo-formed plastics.
I had a YZ back in the day. The bumblebee decal was gone after a handful of races. Decals don't stick to those poly tanks very well. Vapor from your fuel seeps through. I think that's why the dirt shops sell those decal kits. They don't last long.

However, my Safari tank seems to be holding their small decal in the lower front wings. The tank is certainly not sealed!
__________________
Straight ahead and faster -Bo Weaver 1970
"There I was..." -Griffin Niner Three Hotel
"One day closer to a parade..." Jonny Gomes, spring training 2013
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #24882
joenuclear
Planning.....
 
joenuclear's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 6,156
Lotsa info available...http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&s...stic+gas+tanks
__________________
"They bought me a box of tin soldiers. I threw all the Generals away. I smashed up the Sergeants and Majors. Now I play with my Privates all day."
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #24883
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Ah OK... I was mistaken, it seems it certainly is the gasoline that causes the problem. Looks like it will be a major effort to decorate my IMS tank
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #24884
spartanman
regret minimizer
 
spartanman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Land of High Hopes & Low Taxes
Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Thanks I like the luggage setup for my WR250R... We tackled some seriously difficult and narrow stuff (singletrack and huge rocks, etc) and it worked well.

I've got the Wolfman rack with dry expedition saddle bags on the sides (I removed the passenger pegs when I installed these). Surprisingly removing the passenger pegs was very difficult!!!! I had to use a blowtorch to help break the threadlocker they used on the factory bolts.

The top rack is the Pro Moto Billet aluminum rack. It is strong, stable and provides lots of attachment points. This rack mounts through the rear plastic into the subframe instead of using the wimpy mounting points on the sides. I stressed about getting the holes aligned so it wouldn't look like crap but it turned out alright in the end.

The tank bag is the Wolfman small expedition tank bag. I love these and have one for my F800GS as well. They are quick to open, can hold enough stuff and rain-proof. I've been through monsoon rains and left it outside in the rain overnight and nothing ever got wet. Being a soft tank bag you can nudge it out of the way with your hips if you have to maneuver over rough terrain... never really bothered me.

I also ride with a Camelbak MULE (3L)
Excellent! Thanks for sharing the details.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #24885
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!
 
theMISSIONARY's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Devonport Tazmania
Oddometer: 2,150
I just got back from a six day ride........before i left



i also had a small back pack i think i will make some changes
__________________
Happiness is a warm barrel....i don't care if its the bikes barrel or the rifles barrel!

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014