Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #24991
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
I know Wolfman makes a mount like that as part of the overall luggage system, is that more than your looking for?
Would just a mount for a Rotopax only on the left side be more popular than a tail rack mount? It would lower the height on the rear....
The Wolfman mount is fantastic, I currently use it on my F800. But it would work exactly the same on a WRR. Those racks are expensive, but can be used for the Dry Duffel Bag system also. So, they are multi-purpose and essentially bomb-proof.

Here's water on one side and fuel on the other.

I know.....its not a WRR photo, but works the same way. I'm a little familiar with the WRR. I rode one once or twice....does that qualify?

HF
Athena Big Bore Project

HighFive screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 05:51 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #24992
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
I know Wolfman makes a mount like that as part of the overall luggage system, is that more than your looking for?
Would just a mount for a Rotopax only on the left side be more popular than a tail rack mount? It would lower the height on the rear....
emerson.biguns was making these for awhile. B&B Moto then took over and had a production run. These are stand alone side racks. It's a sidesaddle design that gets the weight down low and balanced by the muffler. They came complete with all hardware, easy to install/remove as needed. They sold for $155 for just the carrier bracket kit. These carriers are no longer in production but there must some riders who no longer use them and would be willing to sell.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #24993
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,886
Pirelli MT43 vs. IRC TR1 DOT trials tires

Anybody out there used both on their WR-R???

I mounted a MT43 rear several weeks ago and really like the tire for the kind of riding I do on the WR-R.

Right now it's got around 1,500 miles on it (running 12 psi pretty much all the time) and looks to have more than half the tread remaining. I'll likely go back with this or similar trials-type DOT tire next go-round.

Which brings me to the above question.

Looking at what's out there I found the IRC TR1 tires as well and noticed they are a good bit less expensive than the MT43s, but I haven't heard or read any reports on how they compare to the Pirellis. I'd be very interested to hear how they compare in handling on-road and off-road as well as how well they last.

At the moment I'm still running a D606 front (90/90-21) with the 4.00-18 Pirelli rear, but think I want to try the trials tires for both ends of the bike. I also noticed that the Pirelli front is 2.75" width vs. the IRC at 3.00" width and would be curious to hear opinions on this difference from anyone's who's used both.

The Pirellis are about $70 (2.75-21) front and $75 (4.00-18) rear while the IRC offerings are $50 (3.00-21) front and $70 (4.00-18) rear. That's around $25 less for a set - $145 vs. $120 shipped. Price won't be the sole determining factor, but if they are comparable in other respects, why pay the 17% premium for brand name?

Thanks!
David
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #24994
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewerat View Post
Ok just a bit if a quick question before I pull the plug on a wr250f. I had the chance to ride a wr250r for a training day and quite enjoyed it. We are looking at a 2003 wr250f that has street plates on it. Other then the carb to FI. Is there much noticeable difference in the bikes? I am about 5'11" 230lbs and either I will be using this for my daily ride or maybe the wife if she can touch the ground on it and then I might ride the versys. Just wondering on the performance of the bike.
A few days ago, I took my WR250R out for my first adventure trip. I was with a few big bikes and they were impressed with my ability to keep up on the highway (75 MPH according to them). At high speeds, I have an occasional slight wobble, but I'm not sure if that's really the bike itself or a by-product of riding without a windshield. On gravel, I found the bike very manageable, almost like a large mountain bike. I almost dropped it once because it's too high, but it's light weight enabled me to hold it off the ground while I recovered my footing.

Pictures here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=40590
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=40612

I wear jeans with a 30-inch inseam and at the factory height, I'm on tip-toes wearing heavy combat boots. I bought a lowering link and plan to install that and do the factory lowering option this weekend. The combination of the two mods should net me about 2 inches. If you want, I can post pics of the before and after foot placement.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:31 AM   #24995
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,362
Yeah, I know about that mount. I even spoke to emerson.biguns a few weeks ago.

I guess I shoulda said "anyone know of a presently available left side Rotopax mount?"

BTW, I plan to use a Coyote bag, so the Wolfman racks won't work for me.

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
emerson.biguns was making these for awhile. B&B Moto then took over and had a production run. These are stand alone side racks. It's a sidesaddle design that gets the weight down low and balanced by the muffler. They came complete with all hardware, easy to install/remove as needed. They sold for $155 for just the carrier bracket kit. These carriers are no longer in production but there must some riders who no longer use them and would be willing to sell.

SR1 screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 07:38 AM
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #24996
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
A few days ago, I took my WR250R out for my first adventure trip. I was with a few big bikes and they were impressed with my ability to keep up on the highway (75 MPH according to them). At high speeds, I have an occasional slight wobble, but I'm not sure if that's really the bike itself or a by-product of riding without a windshield.
Depending on your weight and the weight of the gear you had loaded on the bike, unless you cranked up your preload in the rear, this can happen. When properly set up to handle ALL the weight out back (you, saddle bags, etc), the bike is rock solid at any speed.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #24997
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
Yeah, I know about that mount. I even spoke to emerson.biguns a few weeks ago.

I guess I shoulda said "anyone know of a presently available left side Rotopax mount?"

BTW, I plan to use a Coyote bag, so the Wolfman racks won't work for me.

Thanks,
Steve
Why not? The two aren't mutually exclusive. Couldn't you get the Rotopax adapter for the Wolfman rack and just strap the Coyote over it? I have the Wolfman racks and use an old Wolfman Alpha, which is sorta like a Coyote (just not as much hanging below the seat) and it would work fine w/ a Rotopax (it works with my el cheapo version of a Rotopax, which is a bladder-type).

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 10:55 AM
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #24998
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Depending on your weight and the weight of the gear you had loaded on the bike, unless you cranked up your preload in the rear, this can happen. When properly set up to handle ALL the weight out back (you, saddle bags, etc), the bike is rock solid at any speed.

-SM
Thanks for the info. I'm a total noob and haven't dialed it in for my weight and riding conditions.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #24999
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
See this thread on the Throttle Position Sensor, easy to adjust:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5...on-off-at-idle

Sarah
Great info !!!!!! Thanks.......

Just got to get around to doing the jumper wire......
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #25000
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,102
Quote:

I wear jeans with a 30-inch inseam and at the factory height, I'm on tip-toes wearing heavy combat boots. I bought a lowering link and plan to install that and do the factory lowering option this weekend. The combination of the two mods should net me about 2 inches. If you want, I can post pics of the before and after foot placement.
I have the same inseam (5'9" tall) and just installed the Yamalink lowering link, and did the factory lowering option. Also lowered the forks about 5/8". It made a huge difference and I'm a lot more comfortable when I come to a stop. So far only street riding, but coming to a stop sign is much better now and I can only imagine how much more confidence-inspiring it will be off-road, especially when the bike is loaded up with luggage.
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #25001
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Tps

Just to clarify, the TPS adjustment does not require a jumper wire.

Sarah
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #25002
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Just to clarify, the TPS adjustment does not require a jumper wire.

Sarah
I thought the Diagnostic mode required the jumper wire, or is that just the CO modification???
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011 2014
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #25003
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
That's for the CO adjustment.

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgino157 View Post
I thought the Diagnostic mode required the jumper wire, or is that just the CO modification???
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #25004
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'm a total noob and haven't dialed it in for my weight and riding conditions.
If you are over 160lb and/or had any luggage on your bike, you needed to increase preload, otherwise the front end will be too light and you will get the wandering/wobbling that you describe.

FYI improperly setting up the suspension on ANY bike will cause this type of behavior, so this isn't specific to the WRR.

-SM
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #25005
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
If you are over 160lb and/or had any luggage on your bike, you needed to increase preload, otherwise the front end will be too light and you will get the wandering/wobbling that you describe.

FYI improperly setting up the suspension on ANY bike will cause this type of behavior, so this isn't specific to the WRR.

-SM
Odd. I'm at about 170-180lbs with gear on and without any added weight the minimum preload is too much for me. By my measurements I'd guesstimate the minimum preload would be ideal for about 200 or so lbs on the bike.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote