User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #25021
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Thank you!

After a few minutes on the charger it swapped from "charging" to "charged" after two qiuck attempts to start it went back to "charging."

Still no start but it turns over like the dickens. I know these FI bikes don't like a low battery so it's got me wondering. Thanks again.

Sarah
Old 10-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #25022
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
mine didnt start like that once , everything seemed normal but it just keep cranking and didnt fire. I then held the throttle wide open and started cranking it and after a few revolutions it started up , has never had that problem since , i dont know what would have caused it.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM   #25023
Sock Monkey OP
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Thank you!

After a few minutes on the charger it swapped from "charging" to "charged" after two qiuck attempts to start it went back to "charging."

Still no start but it turns over like the dickens. I know these FI bikes don't like a low battery so it's got me wondering. Thanks again.

Sarah
Has anything changed? New fuel cap, removed the tank, adjusted the TPS, etc? No fuel or too much fuel are the first places I'd look. Next would be spark. If you've got fuel and spark, you should get kaboom.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #25024
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaisley View Post
mine didnt start like that once , everything seemed normal but it just keep cranking and didnt fire. I then held the throttle wide open and started cranking it and after a few revolutions it started up , has never had that problem since , i dont know what would have caused it.
+1

I have to do this a couple times also. My 2008 still has the original battery.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #25025
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Thank you!

Sarah
Still have the OEM fuel pump? Do you hear the pump priming? Try recycling the key?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #25026
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
This happened to me for the first time just yesterday. But, I got it going by adding a little fuel (about 1/4 turn of throttle). I didn't try wide-open....didn't need to.

Restarted just fine later with no throttle input.....just letting it idle, as normal.

Didn't worry about it, didn't give it anymore thought until reading this post. What a coincidence!

If it pursists, I will simply make an adjustment to my Power Commander V fuel programmer to add a little more fuel at TPS = 0 - 5 % range. Easy to do on a PC unit....can't do on an FMF unit. But there is probably another adjustment that would fix it (in the CO mode of the OBC, or by turning up the idle screw on the throttle body).

HF

FYI....gasoline fuel formulations will begin to change from summer blend to winter blend during the fall. This sometimes can affect engine performance (a little). Its plausible that could be a factor. Your ECU will make adjustments over time to adapt to the fuel somewhat (if its smart enough.....I donno). Just thought. I was a refinery engineer once upon a time....FWIW.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #25027
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Gotta love penny-tech.

Note that brass and aluminum don't get along (galvanic reaction). Alum or painted steel spacers would be better.

Thanks for the info. I knew about galvanic reactions, but I just didn't associate it with mostly dry conditions. I guess I'll have to get some aluminum standoffs.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #25028
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

This exactly! I have absolutely no idea what the trouble could have been. I've shut it off and restarted it several times over the last few minutes and it fires right up. Beats the heck out of me. I did take out the iridium plug and swap back to a factory plug I took out at last change, but it still wouldn't fire til I held the throttle open. Thanks so much for chiming in everybody, whew what a relief.

Sarah
Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #25029
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Am I imagining this, or did you recently mess around with your TPS? If so, I wonder if that has any bearing?
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #25030
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
You may want to check your idle rpm setting. I had this happen on my Vstrom. It would crank without starting until I opened the throttle. Turned out my idle setting had dropped over time. Turned up the idle to factory specs, no problems since.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #25031
jgino157
Yer' mom!!!

Oddometer: 422
TPS is at 15, which is the low end of the spec from what I gather. Should I mess with it, or is there a chance I can cure the off idle snatchyness with playing the CO mode and Powerprogrammer....???
Colorado 2012
UPAT 2011
jgino157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #25032
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Am I imagining this, or did you recently mess around with your TPS? If so, I wonder if that has any bearing?
Now I could be wrong, but after the replies here, and over on the WR forum, I think it's just one of those things that happens sometimes.

I've put nearly 2,000 miles on the bike since the TPS adjustment with nary a hiccup. I've been super-pleased with the results of that little trick and just wish I'd done it earlier, like day one. It made the bike feel better than any of the high dollar mods I've done. I'm thinking the variation in TPS settings from bike to bike is why some of us complained so much about the on/off throttle snatch while other folks said they'd never noticed it.

jgino--- it's a piece of cake to adjust the TPS, no jumper wire, just push a few buttons. You can peck it back the other way if you don't like it. But I'm betting you will.

Sarah
Old 10-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #25033
GotMojo?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,107
Noob GPS wiring question

Noob GPS wiring question.... I have a Garmin 60CSx that I'd like to run off the bikes battery. I bought this Garmin 4 pin round Direct To Battery Harness but then got to thinking. If I use this piece to hook up the GPS, won't it be running off the battery all the time even when the key is not on, and if I accidentally leave the GPS on when I'm away from the bike, it could drain the bikes battery?

Wouldn't it be better to wire the GPS so that it only comes on when I turn the key on?
GotMojo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #25034
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
I wired my 12v plug to the front running lights ,they are only on when the bike is running.
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #25035
jglow
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
I prefer my GPS wired direct to the battery, and did so using the Eastern Beaver 3cs kit and using an unswithced lead. That way I don't have to deal with the GPS powering down every time I turn the bike off and on. I never power down the GPS at all during the day (gas stops, lunch, etc.). Once I turn it on in the morning I don't turn it off until we get to where we are going.

Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotMojo? View Post
Noob GPS wiring question.... I have a Garmin 60CSx that I'd like to run off the bikes battery. I bought this Garmin 4 pin round Direct To Battery Harness but then got to thinking. If I use this piece to hook up the GPS, won't it be running off the battery all the time even when the key is not on, and if I accidentally leave the GPS on when I'm away from the bike, it could drain the bikes battery?

Wouldn't it be better to wire the GPS so that it only comes on when I turn the key on?
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote